1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Amazon:They pay pathetic amounts for my sales efforts.

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by tesla, Nov 1, 2005.

1. MKInfo

MKInfo DP Guard Dog

Best Answers:
    Thank you mattevers thats put my mind at rest:)

MKInfo, Nov 19, 2005 IP
  2. toni

toni Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've had pretty good luck with Amazon.com. Here are my tips:

Choose a niche that you don't see many other people doing. Let's say... Softball products.

Make a site about Softball: softball articles, tips, product reviews, etc. Use AWS to make the shop part of your site, set up specific categories... use mod_rewrite to create categories that don't even exist as nodes if they make sense. (hint: use a mod_rewrite on search terms).

Add adsense, and now you have a site bringing in two types of income. You should have no problem bringing in $100/mo within a short time frame. Think of a new topic, and start the process again ;)

To make money with amazon.com you need both quality and quanity... but really, with AWS this is easy to do.

toni, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  3. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I should make this my sig. I still see you making mistakes Nintendo. I personally don't think you have learned enough. You could be maneuvering much better that you are.

As for Amazon and it's low payout..I think it's actually a good percentage. I spent 10 years owning my own B&M retail place. It's not easier to make money money selling products direct to end users. After shipping, inventory costs, and employees you don't have much left...probably about the same as what Amazon pays 5-10%. I was doing over a million in sales per year and to get 10% margins was getting very very tough. Now I earn less but I work even less than that. And they money is easy if you know what you are doing.

RectangleMan, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  4. RenFromPenn

RenFromPenn Peon

Best Answers:
    Isn't that prohibited in Amazon's TOS?

RenFromPenn, Nov 21, 2005 IP
  5. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    i'll tell you 1 reason ... kick a** datafeeds. 75% with no feeds is hard to drive traffic too. granted, we have dup content issues ... but the datafeed is what helps the site get traffic.

at least last month! :rolleyes:

skattabrain, Nov 21, 2005 IP
  6. jazzylee77

jazzylee77 Peon

Best Answers:

I don't understand this.

• 1 reason what?
    • who has kicked up datafeeds? I don't believe amazon does them.
    • 75% of what?

jazzylee77, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  7. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    AWS!! One script and you got a 'datafeed' with every amazon product!!! Best of all, Amazon updates it for you! :D

Nintendo, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  8. MKInfo

MKInfo DP Guard Dog

Best Answers:
    I'm just looking into this....any particular recommendations?
    Also has anyone used associatesshop?Is it any good.
    At the moment I just want to use it as an on topic bookshop for my visitors.

MKInfo, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  9. jazzylee77

jazzylee77 Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, I have a few amazon stores and a few datafeed sites. I think of datafeeds as "here's this file, now do something with it". AWS has hooks for all the data that sits at amazon.

And some datafeeds update frequently enough that its worth setting up auto downloads via cron. Others are more static and I spend time customizing the feeds and categories, edit and store images on my site etc.

As I slowly come to grips with php and mysql I plan to create more sites that dynamically alter the feeds with re-categorization, phrase substitutions and update the pages.

jazzylee77, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  10. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    I use the Rats script+mod-rewrite!
    http://www.mrrat.com/aws/

Nintendo, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  11. Surfandskimer

Surfandskimer Peon

Best Answers:
    i def didnt think you could make much through amazon

Surfandskimer, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  12. MKInfo

MKInfo DP Guard Dog

Best Answers:
    Thankyou Nintendo.Just d/l a copy and it looks good.Its the first ever cgi script I've used.To be honest I didnt know I could use anyhing but php/sql on my host :eek:

I'm learning so much my brain is going to explode.:)

MKInfo, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  13. Tom_e_rock

Tom_e_rock Peon

Best Answers:
    Suckas!! I made my first amazon sale yesterday. I got 1000 unique visitors of untargeted traffic, but then when I just left it the next day for SEO, i got 30 visitors and one decided to buy. Thats a 1/30 ratio, and I made about $1.00 (will tell me after items shipped on monday.). Thing is out of all the items I show like HDTV's, laptops, they buy the cheapest item a DVD.. pSt

Tom_e_rock, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  14. rrajan

rrajan Peon

Best Answers:
    hi

I enrolled in amazon only a month ago and i already made around 40 dollars for my work. I have made 22 sales in all to get that. In my experience Amazon store front is performing very well than the product banner ads. I would suggest people look at that.

Again i agree pls dont look at amazon as your primary source of income it is just a supplementary. I would be against selling books because there is a whole heck of competition for selling books. guys try targeting high end of the market.

And again you got to be patient and dedicated to go up in your earnings. I made a loss for two months and almost thought of shutting down my 3 sites. But somehow persisted and started seeing some thing coming my way now. average i made 5 bucks a day in november not just in amazon including all of the affiliate programs i enrolled with just 3 websites. I am happy with the same.

rrajan, Dec 1, 2005 IP
    Cyclops likes this.