1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Amazon sucks!

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Jerlene.net, Jul 16, 2013.

I've been using Amazon for years now and I've finally run into a huge problem. (I know this is probably more a seller's forum, but I want to share this anyway.)

I bought a used laptop in April. It was originally bought(by the seller) in 2007. The seller advertised it as "Like New - Working Condition". Immediately after I got it it was giving me problems. Two weeks after I received it the hard drive completely broke down.

I emailed the seller and got no response so I finally filed an A-Z claim with Amazon, but it got denied. I filed another and that one got denied. I called them four times. The first representative said they would email the seller to help me out. The seller emailed me back and said, "Giving you a refund on this computer would be like giving you a refund on running shoes that you ran in 100 times". The second representative told me they'd send me a prepaid shipping label so I could send the item back. They ended up just emailing the seller and of course the seller told me he wasn't giving me a refund. The third representative told me to go check with the manufacturer and see if they can do something for me because Amazon can't. I hung up... The fourth representative told me the same thing but I was so livid at this point that I just snapped at him telling him that the seller posted the laptop for sale and said it was in "Like New - Working Condition". The representative kept telling me to go through the manufacturer because I got the laptop in May and the warranty should still be good. I told him that the laptop was from 2007 and that the seller registered the laptop in 2007 so the warranty expired in 2009(I checked the manufacturer's site). The representative told me, "that doesn't make any sense. We can't do anything for you". So I told him, "Alright, so you just allow false advertisement on your site and you can't help the buyer out?"

After about four emails and four phone calls I'm out of a couple hundred bucks because Amazon is shit. Stick to eBay. Also, avoid the seller "dsobers".

Jerlene.net, Jul 16, 2013 IP
  2. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I had a problem with Amazon as an advertiser. My impression was that the level of "customer service" was poor. I haven't dealt with them as a buyer with issues, although it sounds just as bad. At least in my case, I just had them delete my account and didn't lose hundreds of dollars. That's a shame that happened, maybe you could file a complaint with the BBB?

Rebecca, Jul 16, 2013 IP
  3. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would be very upset too! Did the seller have good ratings when you purchased the laptop? I've never purchased a used computer and this is exactly why I probably never will.

cronik, Jul 16, 2013 IP
  4. karmaseo

karmaseo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice to get this info. I'm sure the seller will get bad karma.

karmaseo, Jul 17, 2013 IP
  5. Jerlene.net

Jerlene.net Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The seller had a good rating, which helped me feel confident in buying from him.

Jerlene.net, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  6. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    its very possible that it was damaged in shipping

It would be very unfair if the seller had to refund due to a shipping companies poor handling, and it is very possible that this is whats happened, as laptop HDD, can be easily damaged if dropped.

Alternatively, with second hand goods, you can have items fail completely that were tested and working perfectly.I usually buy second hand laptops as it is that are 1-2 years old (this year is first year I even brought a new one) and because I tend to buy second hand, when my laptops get to about 4 years old, I upgrade them, simply as there is a great risk that the HDD (or other components) might be nearing the end of its life.
    What do i do with my old laptops that still work well with no issues? Of course, I put them back on ebay, I see no reason why I should throw out perfectly working computers just because it *might* breakdown in the future.
    Reality is, I have never had a HDD die that was under 4 years old. BUT i have lost a HDD before, and lost alot of data, so my rule is 4 years then upgrade.

matt_62, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  7. drmike

drmike Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I feel bad for you big time; but anytime you buy something used you take this risk. Sometimes it works in you favor other times it does not. Also, go after and smearing the name of Amazon doesn't seem like a worthwhile course of action, if you went to a flea market with 1000 vendors and bought something from one of them and got it home to find it wasn't working would you then smear the name of the owner of the flea market and tell all your friends and family to not shop at the flea market or expect the flea market to give you your money back?

Again, I feel bad for you, but as I said, when you opt to buy used goods you always do so knowing that you are making the decision to save a few bucks in exchange for any kind of warranty or ability to get a refund. That's just how it works. If used goods had the same buyer rights new items did no one would ever buy new items.

drmike, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  8. Jerlene.net

Jerlene.net Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would expect the flea market to give me my money back when they have a refund policy that I stayed within. That's just good business etiquette.

Jerlene.net, Jul 25, 2013 IP
  9. Superluigi6

Superluigi6 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Right now I haven't run into any problems, mostly because I mainly use it for books and MP3 music downloads.

Superluigi6, Jul 29, 2013 IP
  10. championsport

championsport Active Member

Best Answers:

WOW.. never want to use them for shipping ever again... EVER....

championsport, Jun 18, 2014 IP
  11. freshdevelopment

freshdevelopment Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry to hear of your bad experience.. unfortunately some sellers are not keeping up the standards of Amazon themselves

freshdevelopment, Jun 26, 2014 IP
  12. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What would you get if Fedex and UPS merged?

Ans= FedUp.

Reality is they all are dodgy, we know people that work in our local post office and see how mail is sorted out. Its a long day, sorting stuff that can range from light to heavy, and as they are under pressure to get so much cleared and sorted quickly, they say its common practice to throw things -> things you would expect to be handled with gentle care, end up being thrown because some high paid worker doesnt care.

My original point though isnt to badmouth these transport companies, but more to highlight that when something sensitive like a HDD fails, it may genuinely not be the sellers (or the buyers) fault.

matt_62, Jun 26, 2014 IP
  13. Melisa455

Melisa455 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would be frustrated if I were to pay for it.
    But will ebay be any better?

Melisa455, Jul 22, 2014 IP
  14. sirjorgeofculver

sirjorgeofculver Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I bought a Macbook that was claimed like new, it wasn't at all. I resold it on craigslist, but yeah Amazon sucks for this type of stuff.

sirjorgeofculver, Dec 15, 2014 IP
  15. strawberrybob

strawberrybob Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Is that a joke? How could they ask something stupid like that? Jerlene.net, I feel sorry for you but I think you need to accept it. We all got scam somehow at least for once in our life, so forget it. Let's move on!

strawberrybob, Jan 5, 2015 IP
  16. Jordan Barlow

Jordan Barlow Member

Best Answers:
    Dude I feel you. I personally am an Amazon seller and I'm really sorry about your experience. Sometimes eCommerce has some sketchy people. I've had similar experiences of battling companies that just wouldn't give me a refund. I'm currently battling the US Post Office in my area because they say I can't ship my sold textbooks via Media Mail (Book Rate) because it has packing material?!! Packing Material????!!!!!

Jordan Barlow, Feb 2, 2015 IP