1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Amazon Hot Tip Free!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Sem-Advance, Feb 2, 2009.

Since I have learned a great deal here I wanted to help others who are using Amazon to sell products and earn commission.

I know many of you are trying to find which products to try and sell and are having a hard time deciding what to push. Many times as webmasters we try to sell what we think will make lots of money such as HDTVs or Computers.

The problem with that is most consumers will go to an actual store for big ticket purchases.

So how can you find what products to push without needing to do market research?

I fell over an idea a while back that at first I did not realize the impact of but am seeing more and more good things from.

I picked up the local Sunday newspaper right before thanksgiving and found 1000s of ideas all put together for me!! :D

Each week major newspapers are filled with glossy colored inserts from Walmart Sears Target Macys Bestbuy and many others.....

The ad inserts are put together with the in season items that are selling at the time.... in other words they do not advertise non selling products typically unless they might end up sitting on a large buy.

So each Sunday now I buy 3 papers from the state where I live and two neighboring states (consumers in different regions are shopping for different items). A side note I do not travel to each state..... the store I go to in order to buy the papers has them brought in by a delivery service.

I then look through the ads and find products that are within the $20.00 to $200.00 range and begin keyword research for those products. Often I find little to no competition.

I then go to Amazon to try and find the products, if I find the same product for sale, I either build a blog page or a page on a related website I own, and pull the API from Amazon for the links I want to use.

I will then use the keywords to start PPC campaigns with compacted ad groups and testing ads. Once I see some data, I can either expand and add many related keywords, or dump it and move on to something else.

Using this method I went from making less than $25.00 per month with Amazon to two $200.00+ months and this one should be even better.

Hope it helps!! :)

Sem-Advance, Feb 2, 2009 IP
  2. Tommyt755

Tommyt755 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sem-Advance,

Thanks for the good advice. I appreciate you taking the time to give back. It helps us newbies to maybe, just maybe, avoid costly mistakes. I just found this forum (Amazon) using the Amazon Associates toolbar and look forward to learning & eventually sharing my Hopefully profitable ideas with others as well as my mistakes. Thanks again!
    Tom

Tommyt755, Feb 2, 2009 IP
  3. Inspiredgfx

Inspiredgfx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Wow, you know I look all over the place for ideas, not once did I think of the local flyers.. Thanks will have to try it out.

Inspiredgfx, Feb 2, 2009 IP
  4. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No problem glad to help. Again that is more of a product idea.

If you want another idea for building sites, visit a Barners & Noble or Borders or any large bookstore grocery store etc or anywhere they sell magazines. Each of those magazines typically serves a niche that you can then build a website upon.

For example there are people who like to take their Jeep or 4 wheel drive trucks rock climbing on dangerous terrain. So one could build a site offering truck lift kits, roll bars, helmets, etc etc......first aid kits for when they tip lol!!!!!

Some other weird ideas coral reef aquariums, siamese cats, marathon cross country runners, tri-athalon athletes, stamp collecting, bird watching, train collectors, civil war buffs....etc etc.

There are more magazines than I can note here... but a big enough retail chain will have a slew of ideas that can be used....

:)

Sem-Advance, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  5. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    That is really good stuff, thanks for sharing. One of my old mentors told me a long time ago, "There are ideas all around you that you can capitalize online with little or no competition, you just need to pay attention."

hmansfield, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  6. meaghannf

meaghannf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's a really great tip and the best part is, it's great market research about what's selling... but you let someone else do it for you :)

meaghannf, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  7. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Yes it is letting someone with more in depth knowledge of the market do the research and cataloging it so nicely...and if you subscribe to the papers, all of that insight will also be delivered to you lol

In retail everything is based on buyers and current trends so it wouldn't be a wild goose chase like a lot of other ideas I have seen online....

My motto - "work smarter...not harder"

Sem-Advance, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  8. motoxxx

motoxxx Peon

Best Answers:
    Very good advice. If you know what to look for, let the big outlet stores do the advertising and testing for you. Most of them will stick with one format because it works. If you can, mimic the layout and feel of the ads that you see for the products you want to sell.

motoxxx, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  9. bozo100

bozo100 Peon

Best Answers:
    It is a good advice. You may find some good new products to sell this way but the problem is sometimes those products that are advertised in the flyers may not really be what the consumers are looking for. Those brick and mortar stores may just simply be trying to push for their overstock items. I guess this is where keyword research comes into play. You need to make sure that there is decent demand for the advertised products.

bozo100, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  10. Fedora

Fedora Peon

Best Answers:
    Great advice. And I ought to know it works, as I have gone online looking for those "Sunday products" many times myself. I can't be the only one.

Fedora, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  11. phetrs

phetrs Peon

Best Answers:
    I do amazon by SEO.Please tell me how can I get commission from Amazon.

phetrs, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  12. talentshow

talentshow Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your suggestions. It is very useful. I will take it to.

talentshow, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  13. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    No you cannot be in fact the amount of money spent to stuff the newspapers with the multipage full glossy color ad runs vindicates this as a perfectly valid method to target products for sale..

Who would spend $10,000.00s to do this each week if they were not making much more in return???

Yes there will be some overstock buyers will want to move, but once Christmas is over, there is a limit to how long after one can sell artificial christmas trees... or another example swimsuits, once summer and cruise season is over the buyers don't try to push the overstock......

I also think these can be easily detected by the amount of discount ;)

Glad to help and I have another I am working on for the future....

Sem-Advance, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  14. SEOVICE

SEOVICE Peon

Best Answers:
    I really appreciate the tip. I read an article a while back that is kind of related. The difference is that they searched online ads especially at craigslist for there ideas. we all probably could learn from the adds online from walmart and the likes.

SEOVICE, Feb 7, 2009 IP
  15. bobbym

bobbym Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for great share. I just got amazon order from one of my site today...:)

bobbym, Feb 7, 2009 IP
  16. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    I had not thought of the online ads but that would make it easy for those who do not have a lot of major newspapers available to them.

Looking in craigslist might not be the best use of time as most wanted ads are for one person or maybe a handful.....

I think it best to go for the masses which the newspaper and online ads would focus on as well.

Glad to help and I hope you get many more!!

Sem-Advance, Feb 7, 2009 IP
  17. flashgordonweb

flashgordonweb Peon

Best Answers:
    Great tip. It just gave me an idea for my blog... thanks again!

flashgordonweb, Feb 8, 2009 IP
  18. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Hi Flash

no problem glad to help.....

NYT Bestsellers list??? :)

Sem-Advance, Feb 8, 2009 IP
  19. milan1west

milan1west Peon

Best Answers:
    nice thread

best marketing advice of all time:

"find out what people want to buy (ie: something universally popular)
    and sell it to them."

Keep It Simple Stupid.

milan1west, Feb 8, 2009 IP
  20. tonijauhari

tonijauhari Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good advice and useful for me :) thank for sharing

tonijauhari, Feb 8, 2009 IP
    vegabond likes this.