1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Amazon and Squidoo

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by sirjorgeofculver, Sep 16, 2012.

1. sirjorgeofculver

sirjorgeofculver Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I hear this a lot, anyone can say this. Is there a blue print that you have? I've tried a few things and found it to be a crap shoot overall.

sirjorgeofculver, Nov 8, 2012 IP
  2. TechWombat

TechWombat Member

Best Answers:
    I made around $8 from Amazon in my second month of joining through only 3 lenses. I'm now going into my third month and I've made over 20 Amazon sales so far. So yeah... Anyone can say what HPStudios said, but there's a reason you hear that a lot - as far as I'm concerned it seems to be true.

You didn't ask but here's my personal blueprint anyway: Solid writing (I spend lots of time editing and proofreading), extensive research (on the subjects I write on, and keyword + market research), sharpening my copywriting skills at every opportunity, networking and helping others in the community via the forums and lens comments, and updating my lenses pretty much constantly. Sure it's a lot of hard work but to me it doesn't feel like it because I only pick subjects I enjoy writing about and sharing with others unless it's for a quest which I mostly just do for points and the sales-making potential.

Having a look at your lenses, the best tip I can give you is to promote products that people regularly buy online. Skateboards, for example, don't really fit this category. I don't know if you're a skater yourself but I used to skate every day for several years and I would never have bought a deck or any hardware online. Local skate shops are a huge part of the skating community, and it always just felt good to support them. Maybe that's just me, but my advice still stands. Good luck to you sirjorge :)

TechWombat, Nov 8, 2012 IP
  3. hpstudios

hpstudios Peon

Best Answers:
    I gave you the "blueprint" in the post you responded to, so I'm not sure what you're looking for in terms of a "blueprint" unless what you're really asking is, "What Magic Formula/ Easy to Use Cookie Cutter Template that I Can Follow" to earn money.

I repeat: 1) Don't slap up a few rinky dinky lens, sit back, and expect the money to roll in-- you have to put out at least 50 lens until you start seeing anything substantial. 2) Read Squidoo-related forums for advice 3) Read stuff from Squidoo HQ (the admins literally handhold newbies with tutorials every single day on their blog) 4) Do the quests (you can be chosen as Lens of the Day and get a shot at cracking the elusive Top Tier 1 lens 5) Follow top lensmasters like GreekGeek, who also gives advice on how to do well on Squidoo. 6) Work hard, research, and write well

I don't know what else to tell you at this point, except that if you're still hunting for that Easy Formula, it's not going to happen and that you may as well look at another venue to earn money.

hpstudios, Nov 9, 2012 IP
    TechWombat likes this.
  4. sirjorgeofculver

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the update here, yeah I used to skateboard a lot. It thought the same thing as you did, only local etc. Then in July of this year 30 skateboard decks sold through the month. Then this year 4 BMX bikes sold through affiliate links. I've found that in the same time I spend making squidoo lenses, I can make money through affiliate marketing writing and msn ads. I make 75% of my income at this point from several blogs and msn publisher.

I just hear the "i make a lot of money with squidoo" a lot and even bought a few ebooks and have seen people's lenses and well, more power to those that have 300 - 400 lenses.

I haven't given up on squidoo completely I've just managed to get more work in other areas. If ever I get another cushy job, I'll return to it I think, it was fun making lenses. As for skateboarding, the success was paired to a 4 year old skate blog I ran and affiliate networking things I did while I was manager of a skate shop in Seattle. I had a small boost this past summer but it ended with a few design changes and a server issue on an old webhosting account. Oh well.

sirjorgeofculver, Nov 9, 2012 IP
  5. sirjorgeofculver

Best Answers:
    Thanks. It sums up to time. If you have the time, do it. 50 lenses, right, you're right. At this point my methodology is to continue freelance content management, it's far more lucrative, but the idea of affiliate marketing millions is always nice to dream about.

sirjorgeofculver, Nov 9, 2012 IP
  6. prasanth5

prasanth5 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I still think the number of lenses you create does not matter much. It is all about promoting a single well-written lens. That can make the difference.

prasanth5, Nov 22, 2012 IP
  7. shmeeko69

shmeeko69 Member

Best Answers:
    You can have many Squidoo lenses, blogs or webpages, but if you don't promote the right products then, the chances are you will be wasting your time with Amazon or any other affiliate program. The aim should always be to dominate the first 10 spaces on Google for any related keyword phrase, so it's an essential requirement to promote items which have low competition or are new to the marketplace.

shmeeko69, Nov 22, 2012 IP
  8. petyard

petyard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually the number of lens counts a lot if you know how to use that...

petyard, Nov 22, 2012 IP