1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Amazon Affiliate Program

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by PYJAMA, Jul 25, 2005.

Anyone having any luck with Amazon's Affiliate Program?
    Was trying text links to products, but that turned out to be crap.
    Do product pictures seem to draw better sales?

thanks!

-PYJAMA

PYJAMA, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  2. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've had some luck setting up my own Amazon.com store.

Check out www.ThinkBling.com if you want one too.

Help Desk, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  3. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    Forget about using simple text links. Use full blown stores using scripts. Like MrRats script. http://www.mrrat.com/aws/
    (It was much much easior to make money from Amazon two years ago than it is now.)

Nintendo, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  4. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    I just opened a aws site using mr rats scripts and also nintendos rewrite @ www.hobbydeals.com

i am about to pimp it out with some cool templates. Its already getting eaten by google

Shoemoney, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  5. kdb003

kdb003 Active Member

Best Answers:
    there are soooo many of those sites out there already

kdb003, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  6. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    you know there were search engines out there but google still did ok.. i think =P

7. PYJAMA

PYJAMA Peon

Best Answers:
    So are you saying devote a full page store, rather then integrated into the content of the page?

-PYJAMA

PYJAMA, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  8. Nintendo

Best Answers:
    :::So are you saying devote a full page store, rather then integrated into the content of the page?

Stores that use scripts are the easiest thing to use, since Amazon does all the updating for you, AND you got more URLs that can be indexed by search engines.

:::I just opened a aws site using mr rats scripts and also nintendos rewrite @ www.hobbydeals.com and its already getting eaten by google

OK, what's your secret!!!! For me, now it takes up to a year before new sites get indexed in Google!!! Now Yahoo is much faster at indexing my new AWS sites that I made just before finding out that Google calls all the AWS only sites pure spam!

9. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    If you are going to pursue Amazon, treat it like a business. I've had great results doing this. Here are some suggestions that may help:

1) Give your store a decent design. Put a little effort into making it look unique so it will stand out from all those where people put a standard script and left it looking the way it came out of the .zip file.

2) Try to do some common things for SEO, such as H1, title, description, keywords.

3) Spend some time and get a good mod_rewrite working so that the product titles are in the URLs. If it comes with one stock, then change it up a bit so that the URLs are different than how it comes out of the .zip file.

4) Work on getting links to your site just like you would any other site. Links to internal category pages as well.

5) Put a contact/email form on the site and when you get emails, try your best to help the customer.

6) Create a sitmap that has a link to each of your main/subcategories. Not products, but down into all the categories.

7) Enjoy the revenue you receive your first month or two. If Google has it's way, and it most likely will, traffic will surge after the first 3-4 weeks. It will surge for a month or so, then that dreaded sandbox will come into play. This is a critical stage. Too many people get to this point, get some good number counts for indexed pages, then sell off the site for a few hundred bucks at best. Wait it out. Wait it out. Wait it out!!!

Resist the temptation that will set in, when traffic drops. Just keep working on getting links to your site (I know, it's so cliche these days, but it worked for me). Eventually, after six months or so (that's how long it was for me, at least), you should start getting some consistent traffic. Traffic equals revenue.

I've had good luck with my Amazon stores. I'm not wealthy with them, but I'm making some decent money. For me, the key was creating a good site design, while waiting for that six month delay many refer to as the sandbox, work on links. I've seen it with all four of my stores so far. Three are now receiving some very good traffic and sales, while one should be out of the sandbox just in time for the Holiday shopping season. Work on getting links to your site and increasing your PR. At some point, you'll break free and start getting traffic which will generate revenue.

GTech, Jul 25, 2005 IP
    jlawrence and ViciousSummer like this.
  10. PYJAMA

PYJAMA Peon

Best Answers:
    ThinkBling,Nintendo,Shoemoney and GTech (Shout Outs!)

Thanks a ton for the really helpful advise!

-PYJAMA

PYJAMA, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  11. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    The domain starting at a pr4 probably isnt hurting me =)

12. Nintendo

Best Answers:
    Since the last major Google update I've lost around 1,000,000 AWS URLs. :(:( (Almost all of them.) The only site that was hardly touched was a PR 6 site!! And who was is that said PR isn't important!!!!!! :D:D

13. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    hmm perhaps doup content or url check? thats weird indeed

14. Nintendo

Best Answers:
    A LOT of duplicate content!!! Some where around 150 webmasters got the mod_rewrite hack. And of curse not evry one has it on just one site. I got around 30 domains with an Amazon store!!! :D The trick is staying above every one else, and trying to make the stores look uniqe, and PR sure helps!!! :D

15. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The best bet is go custom with an aws script. Sorry but anything you can download for free ain't worth your time.

http://www.gamestop.com is a site using my own script. It does pretty well.
    http://www.foremangrills.com is site I just built and twisted up the script so that on each site it is unique enough not to look like a script.

All my results are dynamic and come from amazon.
    I bought foremangrills.com 3 weeks ago and it was getting 20 uniques per day. Now it's got great listings at google, yahoo, and msn and 300 uniques per day and growing.

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:foremangrills.com&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

You can see an example page and notice how well I keyworded the URL. :)
    http://www.foremangrills.com/store/page/1/george/foreman grill/

Anyways..go custom..get yourself a script. Learn some php and use SOAP.

RectangleMan, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  16. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would argue against you. There is no need to constantly be reinventing the wheel. Custom is mandatory however, if you just plop down the same thing that everybody else has, then it isn't going to be much good to you.

Help Desk, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  17. Kalev

Kalev Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't wast your time.

Amazon has wide selection but competition is quite high. I have tried and I made with my taxation and offshore related site approx $5 during one year.

But maybe it was just my fault :mad:

Right now I'm selling phone cards and medicals and making quite good living.

For Phone cards business I developed my own script which is easy to install and run. This script is made for php nuke www.phpnuke.org and there are many users out there with my script.

I joined medicals business a month ago and my site is already generating sales. But there is also a down side you can not target US customers through google and overture.

I think you really should look around for other options than Amazon...

Kalev, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  18. PYJAMA

PYJAMA Peon

Best Answers:
    What type of route should I go with my site at www.MalaysianFood.net ?
    Is it too specific for amazon or does it warrant just a "phone card" type approach?

thanks!

-PYJAMA

PYJAMA, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  19. Kalev

Kalev Peon

Best Answers:
    It's up to you to decide.

If you are looking for one time shoppers you could go with your current site. Otherwise you should look for a domain which is easy to remember and somehow related to phone cards, long distance, calling etc.

K

Kalev, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  20. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This coming from a guy with one of the biggest free scripts around... :)

Your script is great btw...It's just my experience that using it doesn't do much good. The SE's recognize the script and basically ignore the site.

RectangleMan, Jul 27, 2005 IP