1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Am I just not right for web design?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by misha_val, Jun 20, 2008.

Hi, I've tried and tried to make websites via Dreamweaver. I know how to do it I just can't create anything that looks any good. Do I just not have the artistic skills to create websites?x

Thanks, Misha

misha_val, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  2. mmslax2

mmslax2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Practice makes perfect, keep trying. and search for some tutorials online! Remember if you give up you will never know how good you COULD have been!

mmslax2, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  3. misha_val

misha_val Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I've tried tutorials and I can make the websites but thats just following instructions.

misha_val, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  4. iamben

iamben Active Member

Best Answers:
    Totally right! Practice, practice, practice! When I started I probably made a hundred sites - all done in notepad and paint shop pro. None were for money (not that you could really do any IM stuff back then) and it was all learning. It takes a while to get an idea of what you want to do and what you're good.

iamben, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  5. JohnnyB0

JohnnyB0 Peon

Best Answers:
    Theres two fundamental aspects to making any web page esthetically appealing: layout, and graphics. I really feel strongly that tutorials will help you in the layout aspect, even if you are just following instructions. As for your artistc skills, I would suggest playing around with photoshop. It will help you become more artistically oriented and will help you with the graphics aspect of web design.

Most importantly, don't give up. Practice makes perfect :)

JohnnyB0, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  6. kder86

kder86 Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe you should trying customizing some templates availible for free online first. Then after you get good at it, you can start building websites from scratch.

kder86, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  7. WebmasterTL

WebmasterTL Banned

Best Answers:
    Try getting a base or template and try to change a bit. Use NVU whihc is simpler and free compared to Dreamweaver. And its also free. Download it her http://nvudev.com
    Goodluck. :)

WebmasterTL, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  8. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if you're like me and can't design for crap. Learn to code. Learn to code really well, and you'll be making money rather quickly.

blueparukia, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  9. wierdo

wierdo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say forget dreamweaver and use plain old notepad.

It takes a while to get good. I consider myself alright, not really good, and I've been doing it for years.

wierdo, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  10. tvnation

tvnation Peon

Best Answers:
    keep using dreamweaver. just never go into the design section and keep messing around with code. keep looking at different websites and ask yourself how did they do that? what can be improved? look at their code. dont copy it though. just keep at it

tvnation, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  11. eadkung

eadkung Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are not good at HTML coding then you should use design view in DW.
    Before you can do that, you must have the design template in your head.
    Try to get the idea by applying from free downloaded web template. Remix them to be your own design.
    And then start from basic in DW.

:D

eadkung, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  12. webmindz24

webmindz24 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you are comparing your design with the other good designed sites (which has been designed by masters having YEARS of experience)..
    Your first design cannot be the best in the industry.. keep trying and you will be there very soon in the list of Masters... Good Luck

webmindz24, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  13. whirlybird20

whirlybird20 Guest

Best Answers:
    When I start making websites, I draw them in a desktop publisher (serif page plus x2). This allows me to see everything that is going on, and to be able to easily drag and drop things, and just play around.

I can even take a screen print of a menu that I like, then crop, and position it where I want.

Once I am done, I then know exactily how I want the final result to look, and I can start coding it.

I use intype but if you are not very good with html syntax then use dramweaver.

I also use page plus to make all of my headers, buttons, and graphics. Just select the objects that you need and click export.

I hope this helps

Joel

whirlybird20, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  14. iamben

iamben Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, I really disagree! START in notepad. Learn the basics. You can use dreamweaver later on if you so wish, but it'll save you hours and hours problem solving in the long term if you understand the basics!

iamben, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  15. winsoar

winsoar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can't get on with Dreamweaver. I recommend MS Expression Web and Adobe Photoshop for the graphics.

winsoar, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  16. Skullborg

Skullborg Guest

Best Answers:
    Before starting to create a website, have a theme in your mind. Then try to construct the layout according to the theme in your mind.

Skullborg, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  17. misha_val

misha_val Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all of the posts guys!
    I like the idea of doing tutorials and customizing them.
    I know basic HTML but I don't really know enough to create good pages. Thats why I stick to Dreamweaver.
    And since I'm quite young (still in highschool :p) I've got years and years to practice.

Misha

misha_val, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  18. zeldaze

zeldaze Active Member

Best Answers:
    Keep trying. Every web designer and developer has their own style and how they create things. Its up to YOU to find this style and then utilize it and make it as unique as possible. Good luck and keep trying, don't give up!

zeldaze, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  19. JesseE

JesseE Peon

Best Answers:
    Just takes a lot of time and patience to learn. Some people are gifted with talent to make amazing websites and others it takes longer. I remember when I made such lousy websites and barly knew how to code but now after a few years of following tutorials and just from learning I can make great looking sites and how to code all the basics there are. Just keep tryin you'll get it.

JesseE, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  20. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, it will cause more problems, particularly with page validity and cross browser compatibility.

blueparukia, Jun 22, 2008 IP