1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Am i doing somethign wrong

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by darkdrgn2k, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Ahh, ok, gothca fer real this time ;)

And yeah, the "single best category" can sometimes span like 5 or 6 locations. Pick the one with the highest PR, lol.... or if you REALLY want in, submit to the one with the least amount of listings, then apply to be an editor and just list it yourself.

Sad but true...

Qryztufre, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  2. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Why is that sad?
    An interest in a particular topic or category is precisely why most editors join, after all, and provided they are honest in their application and impartial in their editing, there's no problem at all.
    If their site belongs in that category, of course they can list it there (in accordance with the guidelines), and if they add other sites as well, then the category becomes more useful and comprehensive.
    Good result all around. :)

I don't know why people get so hung up on whether or not editors are "allowed" to add their own sites, when it is all clearly explained in so many places, including the guidelines:
    The bit that gets some abusers into trouble is what comes next:
    It all seems pretty clear to me.

makrhod, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  3. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    oh yah :) in guidelines are also there some things which aren't followed even if someone who didn't '' provided ''yet the '' honest in their application and impartial in their editing '' found within less than a hour of browsing :) . How's come when I was said something about them started to get warnings on DP , threads closed there and on RZ forums :)? where was on this case '' the honestly '' ?:)

trustnobodynever, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  4. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    It is sometimes difficult to understand your point, and I can't speak for DP of course, or why they might close your threads here, but I can certainly say that nobody has closed the RZ quality control thread: here it is, up to page 276 and still open. :)

makrhod, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

It's sad because there are simply not enough editors to get the queue moving at a reasonable rate. And that one of the best ways to get a listing is to list it yourself...

While it's GOOD to get new editors and for those editors to add in new sites (along with their own) it's still sad that that is one of the best ways...

Qryztufre, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  6. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course this thread is still open , how's come the thread where I started to ask about other links getting closed , can be because of same '' mistake '' named before ?:)

trustnobodynever, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  7. MagentaHat

MagentaHat Peon

Best Answers:
    I know that on DMOZ it is not allowed to submit websites that contain similar content.

What is the percent (or whatever measure they use) of similarity, they do not like?

MagentaHat, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  8. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would you start a new thread rather than use the prominent existing one? I believe it is the usual forum practice everywhere to encourage users not to create unnecessary duplicate threads, so if it was closed (I haven't looked), that's a far more likely reason than the one you seem to be fixated on.

makrhod, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Editor discretion. Though the amount of duplicate content is generally low on the sites most editors will pass through. If you write an article and post it to another forum (making it two sources) you'll have a much better chance then if you duplicate the entire site, or post each article to every article directory out there.

You best bet is to simply have NONE! This will increase your chances of getting into the ODP and will also help with search engines, as no one likes to read the same things twice... if they did we would all get two news papers every day ;)

Makrhod is correct, and this thread could likely help to not get future threads locked: A Guide to Searching Digital Point

Qryztufre, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  10. gu3ssWHAT

gu3ssWHAT Banned

Best Answers:
    THIS THREAD FROM RZ IS JUT TO TRY TO CLEAN SOME OF THE DIRTY WHICH CAN COME OUT FROM THE DIRECTORY PRACTICES AND FROM THE EDITORIAL CORRUPTIONS , HOW MUCH FROM THE EDITORS WHO ADDED HUNDRED OF SPAM LINKS THERE WHICH WAS REPORTED BY MORONS GOT ATLEAST A WARNING ? I CAN GUESS NONE . THIS DIRECTORY IS A FKIN LISTING SERVICE AND RARELY ONE - TWO LINKS ARE ADDED THERE JUST TO COVER THE DIRTY ...

With the corruption and dictatorial way how ODP promote their listing service , and the way how you guy's choose to '' share the love '' it's hard to believe someone really care about this damn it crap spam link directory . This is only bullshits about keeping an official advertising campaign ! Just with the reason to keep public interest about the directory alive , to increase the revenue generated for peoples with you colaborate ( for example mods from this forum ) ...

gu3ssWHAT, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  11. ILoveDMOZ

ILoveDMOZ Banned

Best Answers:
    Keep trying different categories within your niche.

ILoveDMOZ, Mar 7, 2009 IP