1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Alternative to IIS for development purposes?

Discussion in 'C#' started by Ahab(FXseas), Feb 28, 2008.

Hello-

I am quite the n00b when it comes to this, but I have searched well, and haven't turned anything up. I've found that I don't have IIS, and don't have the necessary files to add the program, so I'm wondering if there are any other programs out there that will do one thing:

I'm in the process of heavily modifying a website, and I need some way to be able to view and navigate this new version without uploading it to the server (it isn't time to replace the current, operational version yet). It is done in .asp.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Ahab(FXseas), Feb 28, 2008 IP
  2. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    You can try using apache instead of IIS, but you need to provide more information on your system and what you are trying to do before we can really give good suggestions.

wisdomtool, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  3. Ahab(FXseas)

Ahab(FXseas) Peon

Best Answers:
    I have Windows XP professional. It came on a computer I bought secondhand, so I don't know why it doesn't have the IIS files already (it is in the Add/Remove programs list, but when I try to add it, it says it can't find the necessary files). What type of additional system info would be helpful? Again, I apologize for now knowing much about what I'm doing.

4. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    XP Professional has IIS 5.1, you need to go to controlpanel install programs, when installing you will need the i386 which is normally copied into your drive, if you do not have it, you may need to get the CD from your vendor. Another way is to go to http://www.apache.org, install Apache instead.

Another method I would suggest is simply install

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wamp-server/

5. Ahab(FXseas)

Ahab(FXseas) Peon

Best Answers:
    i'm working on this now, thank you! oh, and it will work with an asp website, right?

6. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    I am afraid not, WAMP can't work with ASP you will need to get hold of the XP CD from the vendor or the person you bought the computer from and copy the i386 directory into your computer to run the installation for IIS if you want to use ASP.

7. Ahab(FXseas)

Ahab(FXseas) Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah, I see. Is there any other source for the i386 directory, as my friend who sold me the computer is currently residing in a different hemisphere?

8. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    There are ways of getting classic asp/ asp.net to run on Apache but certainly the classic ASP one was not free and was by no means a perfect implimentation.

If you borrowed someone elses XP Pro CD you can legitimately copy the i386 folder across. Alternatively if you search on how to get IIS to run on XP Home you may find people who have put illegitimate links to places you can download the necessary files from.

You didnt mention if it is classic ASP or ASP.Net that you are trying to run, if it is the latter than Visual Web Developer Express and Visual Studio both have test servers built into them which act 99% like IIS though you cannot emulate medium trust directly

AstarothSolutions, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  9. Free Born John

Free Born John Guest

Best Answers:
    how about downloading the free version of visual studio. That has its own built-in web server and might work without iis present.

Failing that, have you checked your hard drive, you might have a recovery sector with the xp install in it.

Free Born John, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  10. entwickler

entwickler Member

Best Answers:
    for asp.net look for the cassini web server

entwickler, Mar 11, 2008 IP