1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Alternating between different CPM providers - worth it?

Discussion in 'Pay Per Click Advertising' started by Michau, Sep 19, 2012.

I have a website which has many pageviews per unique user (like 150 or so). I am trying to monetize it with CPM providers such as CPMFun. I noticed however, that they pay for very little impressions of these 150, more like 3 or 4. So they are really more focused on unique users than raw impressions.

So my idea is to sign up with many different companies, and show their banners randomly. That it, with one impression show CPMFun banner, with another one show PopCPM banner, and so on and so on. So each of these companies would eventually see a "unique" user. In theory, the earnings should be higher that way.

My question is whether anyone has tried that already, and if so, does it really work that way? Or maybe all these CPM companies use the same backfill providers anyway so the payment will still be low even if alternating them like that?

Michau, Sep 19, 2012 IP
  2. adbash

adbash Active Member

Best Answers:
    Many of networks use this same ad providers but your idea is good and you should try it. It's impossible that all of these networks use these same ad providers so it should be profitable for you and for them.

adbash, Sep 20, 2012 IP
  3. FredSheller

FredSheller Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, that's an interesting idea. But how are you going to switch between services? I doubt that you can make a swap so that any single impression would count as a unique user to the different services respectively, or maybe I'm not getting what you're saying. Have you tried using services with Pass-back tags? That would be one way to sort of nestle banners and get different advertisements depending on the floor price you set.

FredSheller, Sep 20, 2012 IP
  4. rx9876

rx9876 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Good idea.

If you can put codes on your website, you can use a database table to log.
    Columns : ip, country, time, ad
    Using this log, you can control which ad network to display on this connection of this IP and rotates the ad network list to next unvisited every time.
    When all ad networks were rotated, you can put the most profitable ad network according to user country or other criteria.

rx9876, Sep 20, 2012 IP
  5. makeit easy

makeit easy Active Member

Best Answers:
    You may search for a wp plugin to change your html codes for the same visitor. However, the plugin you might find will need to place a cookie on the browsers of your visitors and having cookies may hurt your SERP rankings. Also, cache plugins may not be able to work with cookies as you will be showing the different versions of the same page dynamically. You may be showing different versions of the same page to search engine bots as well. This can be the second reason of a possible drop in SERP rankings.

makeit easy, Sep 20, 2012 IP
  6. FredSheller

FredSheller Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to believe most networks have already thought of the possibility of someone doing this. The question is if they've come up with some counter measures or if they just figured it would be rare enough not to hurt their business. In any case, please share your results! ;)

FredSheller, Sep 21, 2012 IP
  7. Shahar

Shahar Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think they are already mixing in-between themselves, so mixing the ads again sounds useless. If I'm wrong, share the results!

Shahar, Sep 21, 2012 IP
  8. bigbrother1

bigbrother1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    So many free ad s.ervers on the net (openx, adstract, etc)
    I'm using openx from years, first will be added all of ne.tworks that you have, later campaigns at every ne.twork, ban.ners at any campaign, and after all of this you have to create a zone or more, and you can add on the zone what banners you want to be displayed, all ads will have the same number of impressions.
    You can geotarget by country every banner.
    Every zone have a code that you can embed in your site.

bigbrother1, Sep 21, 2012 IP