1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Altering WHOIS info...Does GOOGLE keep a record?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by alphacooler, Dec 15, 2005.

I know that changing whois info (except for minor changes) is a no-no once your site has been crawled. However, what about if it has not? Is Google able to lookup changes made to your domain since it was first registered?

For instance, after I purchase my domains, I change the contact info (especially the e-mail) to something where I don't get spam. I usually modify the street address and name as well. If G can easily lookup the history of the domain and any DNS changes, then they would see a series of domains that start out with the same exact contact info, then get changed to something else.

Perhaps this is a little "tin-foil-hattish", but I just finished re-reading the G patent on use of historical data. Thanks.

alphacooler, Dec 15, 2005 IP
  2. Evoleto

Evoleto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think you need to worry so much.

Personally, I think G uses the WHOIS data for a better localization of your website. For example, I haven't sleep well for months since a customer of mine registrated his corporation in British Virgin Islands, and changed whois, and I had to optimize for the german audience. We were #1 in google.com for targeted keywords, but no more in google.de.

Evoleto, Dec 15, 2005 IP
  3. alphacooler

alphacooler Peon

Best Answers:
    Better safe than sorry. Especially given this patent (which of course I know contains ideas that may never be implemented).

Anyone else?

alphacooler, Dec 15, 2005 IP
  4. rehash

rehash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    who told you google cares so much about whois? there are many extensions(.ws/.de/etc) where it cannot even do a whois

rehash, Dec 17, 2005 IP
  5. Evoleto

Evoleto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wrong, any domain extensions are whois-able.

Evoleto, Dec 18, 2005 IP