1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Alt text - anchor or on page?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by THT, Dec 23, 2004.

Lets Say i have a page for "green widgets" with images and text linking to pages on "striped green widgets" and "blue and green widgets" and "short green widgets"

Should i set the alt text of the images to be relevan to the pages im linking to ie "short green widgets"

OR

should i set the alt text to be "green widgets" and benefit from the on page text to boost the current page andnot any of the sub pages?

Thanks
    THT

THT, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  2. THT

THT Peon

Best Answers:
    anyone purleeze?

THT, Dec 25, 2004 IP
  3. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To a spider, the alt text of a linked image is pretty much the same as a text link.

So you should use the alt the same way you would link to the page normally: "short green widgets"

If it is just an image with alt text, but no link, use "green widgets" as it would describe the image on the page.

(hope this helps)

Dominic, Dec 25, 2004 IP
  4. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes,
    You should use alt text as an alternate text for the image... just like it was meant.

i.e. on my site, the alt for logo.gif is "ki4bbo.org" - which is the text on the logo.

If your button text is "Green widgets" then use alt as "Green Widgets". Not only is this for search engines, it also makes your site accessible. There are more and more blind users using the internet (using screenreaders), and we have to do our part to help them out :)

So often, I see people using something like "button" as the alt text - stuff like this REALLY confuses people with screenreaders, they wont know what the page is about, since they dont have any valid description to go by, so they wont be able to get to it.

Josh

Josh, Dec 26, 2004 IP