1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Allinanchor search on Google

Discussion in 'Google' started by fluke, Jun 28, 2004.

hi

in a previous thread i participated in someone mentioned allinanchor searches several times, and that they are useful to "see where you could be" if you sorted everything else out.

firstly what exactly is an allinanchor search - i presume it is to do with links but is it the amount of links, just the link text, or what?

at the minute i rank 1 and 2 for an allinanchor search on one of my main keywords - however on a normal search for that keyword i am 334th ...?

if i could understand allinanchor searchs perhaps i could understand what i have got right to get 1 and 2 in the allinanchor and what else i need to get right in order to get 1 or 2 in a normal search.

p.s. --- when i do an allinanchor search for the keywords with quotes it brings up only 3 sites - and also nearly all the sites above me in the normal search do not have the complete keyphrase in there pages (or their links by the looks of it) - the words are there but not in the right order.
    is Google penalising me for having the complete phrase in my page? - and is this the way google normally operates or does it only look for pages without the complete phrase in competitive areas....?.. i'm so confused

fluke, Jun 28, 2004 IP
  2. fluke

fluke Guest

Best Answers:
    O - and when i do a normal search with my keyphrase in quotes i rank 7th.

fluke, Jun 28, 2004 IP
  3. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe this post from Foxy should answer your 'what is an allinachor' question. Understand that searching for open words vs. quoted will give entirely different results. Also, compar has placed a wonderal post on DigitalPoint regarding the algo for Google including why it is more than just one thing to get ranked.

North Carolina SEO, Jun 28, 2004 IP
  4. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe 'allinanchor' does not take link maturity into account; if this is a competitive word with many established sites, it may take a long while for your links to count and bring you up in the SERPs.

TheHoff, Jun 28, 2004 IP
  5. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    What is "link maturity"? Read the McDar experiment thread. It seems to indicate that allinanchor: is updated almost immediately the link is indexed. What doesn't follow immediately is the elevation in SERP placement that one would anticipate. And many of us think this is the sandbox effect.

compar, Jun 28, 2004 IP
  6. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Same thing I was referring to. I'm not a newb to SEO, but I'm not that active on SEO forums so I may use my own (incorrect) terminology. Allinanchor reacts immediately to new IBLs, while the actual SERPs seem to have a delay.

I'm allinanchor #15 for a common software word but since the site is fairly new (with good on-page), I haven't broken the top #500 yet.

TheHoff, Jun 28, 2004 IP
  7. fluke

fluke Guest

Best Answers:
    OK Thanks so far guys

about the sandbox effect - i thought this was just something to do with giving new sites a temporary boost in the SERPs?

fluke, Jun 29, 2004 IP
  8. fluke

fluke Guest

Best Answers:
    erm... actually i just read read foxy's post and it doesn't really explain as much as i was hoping

- i think i realised it looks for the keywords in the links but how exactly does it score the pages? is it ordered by how many links to that site contain the keyword?

fluke, Jun 29, 2004 IP
  9. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know what you have been reading, but the sandbox is exactly the opposite of that. It is dampening factor of some kind that seems to delay the full value, or impact, of newly added links. The result is that a site may be much slower rising in the SERPs than would be expected. Hence the concept of the site, or really the links, being kept in the "sandbox" for some probationary period.

compar, Jun 29, 2004 IP
  10. fluke

fluke Guest

Best Answers:

ok - thanks for putting me straight- i have only encountered it a recently (i am very new to seo) - i must have read some ambiguous statement about sandbox effecting rankings of new sites and interpreted the wrong way - - in my head i think i kind of imagined its name could have been a anology of a kid getting a new toy car which he plays with for a while in his sandpit and after a while newer toys come along and the car ends up lost at the bottom of the sandpit !! :D im sure someone in the know will probably tell me where the name came from.

well anyhow - this is good news -at least i can expect things to start working for me in the future as opposed to against!

fluke, Jun 29, 2004 IP
  11. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    what you may have heard might just not have been complete; quite often it's described as having a site rank well briefly, then plumet.

perhaps you missed out on the end bit. ;D

disgust, Jun 29, 2004 IP