1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

allinanchor high, regular serps low?

Discussion in 'Websites' started by disgust, Jun 23, 2004.

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding this one, so if anyone could offer any insight that'd be great...

for allinanchor, we're around the top 5 for our keyphrase. for a general search of that phrase, we're around the 20th position.

the obvious answer would be that on-page optimization is lacking, but I don't really see at all what we could be missing out on- and I've run on-page analyzers, and ours happens to be quite similar to the #1 (for both allinanchor and for a general search).

the site is www.ffshrine.org

the keyphrase I'm targetting is "final fantasy"

I also posted this at SEOChat but I didn't recieve a single response, and I was hoping someone could help a bit more here

disgust, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  2. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have the same problem.

It could be i/b links from authority pages.

However, I looked at your site and should you not have a H1 tag saying "final fantasy" and in text (or something simlar) at the beginning of the text/ page - it may be difficult for G to work out what your page is about.

leeds1, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  3. ZanderXML

ZanderXML Guest

Best Answers:
    You absolutely right here - you don't have any on-site optimization at all. I see:
    1) images without ALT tag
    2) keywords sucks - just use only 1 uniq keyword per page
    3) you don't have H1-H6
    4) and so on

You don't even have basic optimization on you site. It's absurd to work on allinanchor on OTHER sites when you didn't do anything on your OWN site. It's much easier to make on-site optimization first and then use the power of allinanchor text

PS My young brother's site is about Computer Games and without any allinanchor links he has 16,000 uniq visitors per day from Google!!! Only with the on-site optimization

ZanderXML, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  4. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Hi,

assuming all others be realatively equal (links allin etc) the obvious one to me is on page - title can have some more words , css should be in an external style sheet - more text - Well hello... who can this be? .... and a large white space well....

I've just posted a ref to an artice on how to generate dynamic text as graphics deflating HTML it's under HTML development this may something for you to persue.

To go top on G your nbr 1 competitor has about 5.950 links whereas you show 288 - so to chase a top spot on G as it is presently link driven you have your work cut out. - If you want to know use alltheweb.com -

I also noticed that your graphics are quite heavy e.g. testing your header graphic which is 41 k I converted it to JPG including the bits needed to have it look seamless which brought it down to 18k on 70% !! also there is no ALT tag???

not for pos but for visitors....

Although I only use a 14 TFT 1028 max your right nav looks squeezed in and I see you already celebrate mothersday next year 9th of May????

Hope this helps a bit
    M

expat, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  5. expat

Best Answers:
    Very true! But the others are not any better !! Must be the genre....

The test presently is easy

good on site 1-10 in Y
    lotsa links 1-10 in G

none of the above tough!
    M

expat, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  6. ZanderXML

ZanderXML Guest

Best Answers:
    I think that Disgust wants to be 1st on "Final Fantasy" keyword and the most interesting thing for him is what to do and not why it happens this way it is now ;)

And he must be happy that other sites have poor on-site optimization. He can win the battle very soon!

ZanderXML, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  7. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    she, actually. but anyway...

yeah, I'm aware that there are some design and code issues (heavy on the graphics, resolution compatability, etc), we're going to be redesigning the site but we haven't reached that point quite yet.

the h1's/etc we'll work in eventually (when we redesign it), it just wouldn't really fit in as it stands now.

what images that are hyperlinked are you seeing without alt text? virtually everything that's linked as alt text (including the home button having the alt text "final fantasy" and linking back to the main page from every other page).

expat: I don't see how you can cross-reference google's backlinks with alltheweb's. that makes no sense, if you're going to compare them they should both be using the same engine...

on google the #1 has less than 100 links showing. we have almost 300.
    on yahoo the #1 has 19,000, we have 17,000.

I realize that we're missing the h1/etc tags, but how could something like that have that big of an impact? the #1 (and most other sites that rank above us) don't use h1's as well. I'm aware that we should add them in the future, but I'm just having trouble understanding what other things we could be missing.

plus I was under the impression that h1's were somewhat devauled, because it basically got to the point where SEO-savvy sites would use them, but regular sites rarely would- I realize that it's something we could (and will) add but I didn't think it could be making this big of a difference.

what didn't have alt text that you would've added some for?

disgust, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  8. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    H1 is really the page title - it tells G what your page is.

Your first load of text has nothing to do with your page IMHO so you're going to get a low rank. Your KWs MUST come up in the first para as well as a H1 or H2

If you don't want H1/2 use <font size=3> (or whatever) it is still a heading (see what your comps do as headers) - H1 or large font = header

leeds1, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  9. expat

Best Answers:
    Well if you go through the forum you will notice that G only shows links from about PR4 and above - also there is the potential maturity of links which is not reflected in the standard queries. So G is no source for true links.

To see relatively true links Alltheweb.com shows nearly 98%

Y is not link driven so its of not much interest.

Also only external links are of real interest and need to be looked at seperately from internals which are under your control.

All images should have alt tag not just the ones linking where the alt tag is used as anchor text.

By the way there is no reason to not link the header graphic back to your homepage and use the alt as an internal anchor text.

Best of luck
    M

PS Yu can also slice the header graphic into 5 or 6 and link each to a different page using alt as anchor text - and it loads faster.

expat, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  10. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    I never thought about slicing the graphic and linking to different sections, thanks for that tip, I'll try it out.

I was under the impression that alt text that isn't part of a hyperlinked image would have absolutely no impact on the serps, because it's used for spamming?

is there any point in having TWO images point to the same page (from the same page), using the same (or different?) anchor text? I can't imagine that they'd count it twice... (our "home" button links to the main page, so having the banner link back as well would be a bit redundant..)

alltheweb seems very, very out of date. typically alltheweb should show many, many more results than google (since google shows PR4+ only)- but I'm seeing 3x as many links showing in google as are showing in alltheweb.

disgust, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  11. expat

Best Answers:
    yes ATW may be old but gives an idea about maturity of links which may be something looked at by G.

ALT (no link) has been used for spamming and may not be used by G but it still gives oportunities to put some text about and it's also polite to your users who may be visiually impaired or have graphics switched off.

Always remember G is not the only engine about .........
    and 100 pages in Y linking back .... etc.

Teoma for example is a very nice engine to receive buying traffic!
    And yes do not flame I know these are smaller but there is a preference in some areas to use such engines which deliver fewer but better results than the big guns do at present.

So long

M

PS some engines may ignore multiple links to the same page - it may dilute a PR - but there is now law against having 4 anchors on a page and link to page.htm#final-fantasy-movies alt final fantasy movies , and so on

expat, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  12. pstatus

pstatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Guess Im sort of in the same boat as disgust (sort of).. I had a new site... which was PR0 prior to this update, now has a PR4... I have only picked up two spots in the G SERPs for one term and stagnant for another... I have H1 tags made smaller with css. I have a bunch of alt img tags...

Key word use is efficient??? What else could be lacking?

Could the fact that 2 internal links on the page being broken have an effect on SERPs??? :confused:

thanks in advance

pstatus, Jun 24, 2004 IP
  13. expat

Best Answers:
    Please remember PR is mainly mathematical and it only shows that you have some fair interlinkage (if its evenly across pages) and some valuable links in.
    4 more or less guaratees a regular G visit. Get Y to suck in the page. You may have to submit.

SERPS on G are presently not massively influenced by PR.

Find good sites to submit to (there is a thread here somewhere if you don't find it send me a pm) make sure you use the anchor text you need!
    Don't forget you don't have to use your homepage to link to.

This must be reflected in the basics of SEO Title key desk h1 h2 bold italic 1st para and be sure it's different for each page.

Link out to great sites.

That will set you on the road.

My tip:
    Either have unique content / something visitors will want but noone else has or has in this form or generate content at a good pace like 3 pages / day.
    M

PS Fogotten have a custom 404 that'll warn you of broken links

expat, Jun 25, 2004 IP
  14. pstatus

pstatus Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the help

pstatus, Jun 30, 2004 IP