1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Allinanchor Abuse

Discussion in 'Google' started by Help Desk, Jun 3, 2004.

Is it possible to put so many keywords into an Allinanchor that the search engines don't give you the best link for it? If an Allinanchor has 50 words, is this a bad thing (other than just annoying to look at).

It is understood that there are no definite answers on this topic.

For those that don't know what an Allinanchor is, an Allinanchor is simply the text portion of a hyperlink

ex...
    <a href="http://www.thinkbling.com">This is the Allinanchor text.</a>
    Code (markup):

Help Desk, Jun 3, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think the value of individual keywords are diluted the more you have.

digitalpoint, Jun 3, 2004 IP
  3. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    True, but what if the keywords are not multiples. For example, what if there are 50 unique keywords in the AllInAnchor?

Help Desk, Jun 3, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well 50 links with 50 keywords in it would probably have the same value as 50 links with one of the keywords each.

5. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    if this offers any insight:

we have more backlinks than our #1 competitor, who ranks ahead of us. however, their links usually get "the keyphrase" while we usually get "the keyphrase extra-word"

so I'm guessing that you get a lot more weight from "the keyphrase"

I could be way off on this though, if something else is influencing the SERPs

disgust, Jun 3, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Right, that's what I'm talking about (dilution).

7. eCommando

eCommando Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The allinanchor counts only once for multiple links on 1 page right? otherwise, you can make 1 link for each key word and make allinanchor showing up many links.

eCommando, Jun 3, 2004 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not sure, but I would guess they all count, but same thing (dilution) goes on.

9. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    run a test on a page with a number of anchor text links to seperate pages and then see if they show as backlinks

debunked, Jun 3, 2004 IP
  10. leo

leo Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know whether this subject fits into this thread - there is my question anyway:

In order to find out about backlinks regardless of the PR of their pages of origin, I search in G using keyword1 = mydomain.at and get back all sites which contain mydomain.at either as a link or just as a text item (which then clearly is without backlink value at all).

This works fine - only that, since a couple of days, I keep getting back one more site, call it otherdomain.at/xxx_keyword2.pdf, which doesn't contain keyword1 at all. This page is not directly related to my own page and we have no backlink exchange. If I look at the HTML-equivalent of this page, there comes back an empty page and in the usual header of this page it is indicated that "keyword1 is only found in links pointing to this page".

Now, how can that be? Who would point to this particular page of otherdomain.at using keyword1 as anchor text and, still more important, how and where can I find that link? On the other hand, searching for otherdomain.at does not produce any one of the pages of mydomain.at as a result.

There are three possible hints:

First, the name of this particular foreign page contains, as shown above, in its name keyword2, which is a very competitive keyword for both of us and both of us have internal and external links (using keyword2 as anchor text) pointing to several of our respective pages. keyword2 appears very often in the content of this pdf-document, too.

Second, the document xxx_keyword2.pdf is a document which - under different names - is used very often in Austria, since it contains general business conditions for consulting businesses issued by the Austrian Chamber of Commerce. My own website contains this document with almost identical content under the name keyword2.pdf. Both pages are indexed in G.

Third, there is one (high PR) website containing backlinks to both mydomain.at and otherdomain.at respectively, the database of the Austrian Chamber of Commerce.

I cannot imagine any mechanism, however, by which G finds a relationship of our two websites via keyword2 as long as I am searching for keyword1 only.

Any ideas to explain this phenomenon are welcome. :confused:

leo, Jun 6, 2004 IP
  11. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe I read about a "secondary" term or phrase influencing the value of the first regarding Google ranking. I will try to find exactly where I read this. Is it possible this could be the cause behind your results?

North Carolina SEO, Jun 6, 2004 IP
  12. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the article was on stickysauce - but I can't seem to find it right now either.

schlottke, Jun 6, 2004 IP
  13. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't want to quibble but what you are showing and talking about is "anchor text" not allinanchor.

Allinanchor: is a search in Google to find all the sites that us a specific "anchor text".

Now as to putting 50 words or a whole lot of text in the anchor text, I think it would have a negative effect. You use anchor text to tell the viewer and Google what the link is about. The anchor text should be a keyword phrase -- 2 to 5 words -- that you are optimizing for and upon which someone is liable to search. Nobody uses 50 words in a search.

I think a lot of people try and stuff too many keywords or keyword phrases into their anchor text. It is usually the result of having not done adequate keyword research and trying to cover all the bases.

I think all you potentially do with several keyword phrase in a link is confuse Google. They no longer know which of these terms you think is important.

compar, Jun 6, 2004 IP
  14. leo

leo Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure it could - perhaps it would realy help to find more about that. Tnx in advance! :)

leo, Jun 6, 2004 IP
  15. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are correct. It was an attempt to provide an adequate enough explanation to those unfamiliar with the term while not confusing them. There are a lot of acronymns and such around here that might throw off a new visitor.

Allinanchor is also evolving into an adjective. An allinanchor link refers to a link with all the target keywords in it. It might not be just a Google search word in the near future.

On a side note, Google only mentions Allinanchor in one page that I can find.
    http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cach...w?id=294577+allinanchor+site:google.com&hl=en

Help Desk, Jun 7, 2004 IP