1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

All of Science's ONLY Consensus=Atheism's Nightmare

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Nehemiah, Mar 3, 2009.

1. contentedge

contentedge Active Member

Best Answers:
    The difference between science and religion is simple. The former tries to analyze an issue and come to a conclusion based on empirical evidence while the latter tries to 'assume' things. You don't know for sure who created this universe. But you assume it must have been Jesus/Allah/Krishna based on your religion and your holy books. Am I right in saying that?

contentedge, Mar 4, 2009 IP
  2. Nehemiah

Nehemiah Peon

Best Answers:
    This conversation is not about your opinion as to "The difference between science and religion". You asked me the question in the first box above. I answered you as follows:
    "If (since) you haven't figured it out using Science, then maybe that might be one of your considerations. What do you think?"

As for "science. . .tries to analyze an issue and come to a conclusion based on empirical evidence", your "former" always stops short of THE UNCAUSED CAUSE, leaving more questions, with few, if any, answers.
    You should know that the Universe didn't create itself, but you'd rather hope no one ever questions you about who do, because you have avoided assuming, let alone investigating, like the plague, THE UNCAUSED CAUSE.
    Even when folks like me let 'ats', like you, fill in the blank.

Nehemiah, Mar 4, 2009 IP
  3. jumpboy11jaop

jumpboy11jaop Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't solve the 'uncaused cause' issue either. What caused your god's existence?

jumpboy11jaop, Mar 4, 2009 IP
  4. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You obviously have trouble understanding sarcasm... it's a child refuting your argument. Have a think about what that says about your argument.

stOx, Mar 4, 2009 IP
  5. jumpboy11jaop

jumpboy11jaop Peon

Best Answers:
    Stox- I used to think you were overly zealous, too prone to attack, too blind to any other opinions.

Then I met Nehemiah. no more needs to be said.

jumpboy11jaop, Mar 4, 2009 IP
  6. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    FINALLY! You made a legible, logical, and sensible post. Was that so hard?

You'd be surprised how much I agree with you here. Even though your logic isn't "flawed" per say, where it fails, is that it stops trying to look for an explanation beyond God.

I am not totally closed to the idea that some form of intelligence "could" be behind the creation of our universe. I am an agnostic, not an atheist. I've explained that to people ad nauseum in this forum.

My point here is, that that doesn't prove it is your God any more than it proves it is Alah, Anu, Zeus, or any one of the literally HUNDREDS of major Gods and Godesses throughout history. Not one of which, by the way, that you a christian can dismiss as a false God without being a hypocrite. Even ancient Greek mythological Gods.

The "intelligence" could be a race of sentient beings so advanced that the word advanced couldn't even begin to describe them. What makes your God the obvious choice here? Because it's written in your book?

Or it could be that there is no intelligence at all which frankly, if you possessed a truly open mind not clouded by religious brainwash you could at the very least admit that's possible just like I can admit it's possible that there could be some form of intelligent force driving the evolution of the universe. But unfortunately, like I said. You can't see past the answer being God.....

Sucks for you.

I can sum up the answer to this with a single sentence.... It's called the unknown.

Rational people concede that it could be some form of intelligence but continue to look for answers. The irrational, settle for the first thing that comes along and stick to it even when it doesn't make sense. Often in most of our lives that first thing we're taught, before we even get to go to school and actually learn anything.... is sadly, religion.

For thousands of years humans have needed some form of God to explain the unknown. It's only natural for some of you to find it hard to let that go.

Logical fault. bolded in red....

You have to say "in ways unimagined by me" because at some point, like all religious arguments, your argument falls into smoke and mirrors and "things we mere humans can't understand".

To say that we "forgot" about the cause is being purposely dishonest in order to make a baseless point. I say "purposely" because science is about "finding out what that cause is". Not proving that cause was some form of intelligence.

But congratulations, you've opened my eyes. I had no idea the evangelical view of science was this twisted.
    ----------------------------------------------------

P.S. About labeling me an atheist: Just because I question your God, doesn't make me an atheist. Religious people in general have a hard time not accusing anyone who doesn't agree with their exact idea of God as being an atheist. Sure I'm a non-believer by the definition that I don't believe in organized religion's or even your own crazy Nehemia particular definition of God. But that does not mean that I am totally closed to the idea that some form of intelligence "could" be behind the creation of our universe. That doesn't mean that I have to subscribe to some man made religion based on a book of fantastical stories that (purposely?) don't make any sense half the time -- in order for me to believe there could be an intelligence. It just means I need to have an open mind and not be afraid to say I don't know.... Which is something I find both you theists and atheists have a hard time doing.

GeorgeB., Mar 4, 2009 IP
  7. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nehemiah, we're all familiar with your grasp of Christianity. Would you mind posting your understanding of evolution? By that, I don't mean rant about it, I'm asking whether you'd be so kind as to take the time to post what you think "they" believe evolution is all about. Oh, and we don't need bold or underlined sentences either, I think we're all old enough to be able to read all the words ;)

BRUm, Mar 5, 2009 IP
  8. kolgames

kolgames Active Member

Best Answers:
    one thing I have noticed reading through these Religion v. Atheism topics:
    Atheists always have to make blows at someones intelligences to defend themselves because they can't think of a real answer... quite funny...

kolgames, Mar 5, 2009 IP
  9. bfebrian

bfebrian Peon

Best Answers:
    and I think that only religious people who brainwashed their children.

bfebrian, Mar 6, 2009 IP
  10. bfebrian

bfebrian Peon

Best Answers:
    and the atheist people (some here in dp) are welcome to think that religious people are lower than them.
    well, because they think that religious are stupid because they believe in imaginary friend (god).

bfebrian, Mar 6, 2009 IP
  11. Bradders

Bradders Member

Best Answers:
    This girl makes sence i totally agree! you dont see us complaining that you believe it god.. get a life! stop preaching to everyone else who they should and sharnt believe in! keep your crazy idea's to yourself.. you look like a nigerian scammer on your avatar anyway!

regrds,

B.

Bradders, Mar 6, 2009 IP
  12. bfebrian

bfebrian Peon

Best Answers:
    is that a racist comment?

bfebrian, Mar 6, 2009 IP
  13. kolgames

kolgames Active Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, there is alot of complaining done by Atheists... Around Christmas time you flip out about xmas decorations. And you complain when a teacher reads a bible in his free time. I watch the news alot, the most recent case was in that library or some public building where there was a nativity scene and the Atheists cried until they got there own display, and they put up a lunch menu looking bored basically saying that religious people were idiots. Maybe YOU don't complain, but alot of Atheists do. Maybe some religious people here do, but they all don't.

kolgames, Mar 6, 2009 IP
  14. cientificoloco

cientificoloco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes! the evil atheistic conspiracy to brainwash children on Math, Geography, Language, History and... Science has finally succeeded (at least in Germany)!!!! Muahahahaha!!! :D:D

cientificoloco, Mar 6, 2009 IP
  15. Nehemiah

Nehemiah Peon

Best Answers:
    That's what you say, while This is what I say: AT LAST! You're thinking legibly, logically, and sensibly. Now then, did that hurt that much?

Therein is another fallacy in you deductive skills; Either its flawed or its not flawed; there is no middle ground and/or gray area.

There is no "explanation beyond GOD", and the sooner you learn that the better off you'll be.

GOD'S STANDARD IS HIMSELF. HE didn't lower HIS STANDARD for me; and HE won't lower that STANDARD for you, nor anyone else. Its HIS WAY or no way.

My STANDARD IS GOD [INTELLIGENT DESIGN]. I don't lower that Standard, because the first time you lower your Standard, you set your Standard. GOD and ONLY GOD [INTELLIGENT DESIGN] Explains it all. Nothing else does!

That statement is another example of your contradictory mentality. Instead of you attempting to prove GOD on HIS Terms, you choose to feebly try and prove GOD on your terms. . .which is/was doomed to abject failure before you began. So, in an effort to hedge your bet as an 'at', you now seek to label yourself an 'ag' instead. And that dog just ain't gonna hunt, because you're driving yourself even farther from THE TRUTH, than when you would honestly admit to be an 'at'.

Do you not see the commonality of all the supposed gods (and god-etts) that you listed? They all have a known beginning. THE GOD of SCRIPTURE Doesn't?

You answered the question just before you asked it. Here's how your answer should look, in your own words, "The "intelligence" (is) a sentient being so advanced that the word advanced couldn't even begin to describe h(i)m"

So then, your so-called personal "intelligence" is just a matter of chance, huh?
    And I don't buy into that "a truly open mind" crap. That's a lot of what gets people into all kinds of problems. When you and/or anyone has "a truly open mind", all kinds of garbage gets in there. . .doesn't it?

If they were truly "Rational people", then they'd "continue to look for answers" in that which has been already provided to and for them. . .if they were truly "Rational people".

If you ain't done nothing with what you already have (except criticize, not believe it, believe someone else more messed up than you, believe it to be contradictory and inconsistent, without any personal investigation whatsoever, etc.), what makes you think you're going to find answers, instead of just more questions, and make yourself look infinitely more silly?

I could make the same statements about 'ats' and 'ags' using your own words, and it would be just as sound as your statement: "For thousands of years humans have needed. . .to explain the unknown.".
    Whatever you have accepted as the answer "to explain the unknown", is your god.

No, I say, "in ways unimagined to you", because I see that you'd rather think in only the ways that you can imagine. You're incapable of (or avoid) thinking in terms of Eternity, Eternal, Having no beginning or no ending, etc.

And to refer back to something you said above (and paraphrase it), "For thousands of years" science has failed to come to a majority consensus in its attempt" to explain the unknown."

Thank you, we're just smart enough not to try and put The Creator over and above THE CREATION.
    ----------------------------------------------------

I'm not impressed by you claiming to be an 'ag' rather than an 'at'. I don't know what "Religious people in general have a hard time" with; I'm not one of them.
    And you "subscribe to some man made" science book, which is "based on observable evidence", which causes and has caused infinitely more questions, than it provides answers. So why is your book of choice any more viable than my BOOK of Choice? Or why should I hold your book of choice in higher regard than you hold my BOOK of Choice?
    "Which is something I find both you ('ags') and ('ats') have a hard time doing."

Nehemiah, Mar 6, 2009 IP
  16. Nehemiah

Nehemiah Peon

Best Answers:
    Well since you've got me mixed up with someone that allows you to dictate to them what to do, how to do, not to do, etc. and so on, you, whether you'd be so kind or not, tell me your take on "evolution", and I'll let you know in 25 words of less whether I agree with you.:D

Hmmm, I don't do u-tube; but I'm certain that it was a lot more thought provoking, sensible and rational, than anything you've tried to piece together.

If you're incapable of comprehending my "argument", maybe you should "Have a think about what that says about you...:eek:":D

HIS ETERNALNESS!!!
    :D

Nehemiah, Mar 6, 2009 IP
  17. jumpboy11jaop

jumpboy11jaop Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems like Nehemiah is back to the middle ages- questioning god (note the absence of capitals) is heresy, for which you are burned at the stake.

jumpboy11jaop, Mar 6, 2009 IP
  18. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't be daft. EVERYONE loves Christmas. I don't believe in any religion but I always decorate my house. Those who complain do so because they're Scrooge, not Atheist.

BRUm, Mar 6, 2009 IP
  19. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mate, I asked you, I didn't tell you. Why are you getting all defensive? If you don't want to answer, that's fine. Just say so, don't get all paranoid. I never said that you follow me. I think you need to calm down though.

It's common curtsey to not answer someone's request or question with one of your own. Please could you answer mine first please? Then I'd be happy to answer any of your questions or requests :eek:

P.S. You sure like those 'eek' smilies.

BRUm, Mar 6, 2009 IP
  20. Nehemiah

Nehemiah Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I guess it was someone with the same UserID info as you that stated the following,
    but, after rereading it, I see now that you really didn't mean the underlined bold portions, they just kind snuck in there, as part of the jokes that, like me, you don't mind sharing with others.

It may be "common curtsey" down under there Mate:), but up over here, its common courtesy:D. But nonetheless, I will answer your question. . .and I'll still do it in 25 words or less:

My "understanding of evolution" is that it begins somewhere in the middle; and that is also my problem with evolution.

Sure do!!! And these too: :cool:

Nehemiah, Mar 6, 2009 IP