1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Alive Directory Banned by Google ?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by rare, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ernster

Ernster Peon

Best Answers:
    I love how people think they have the right to say that Alive Directory's prices are unacceptable....they have the right to charge whatever the hell they like:)

Ernster, Mar 31, 2008 IP
  2. rare

rare Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ya you are right they have the right to charge whatever they like , same like that we also have right to say that this is unacceptable.

Isn't it ??

rare, Mar 31, 2008 IP
  3. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Far from it, I think what they did was way out of order, and for the record I have absolutely NO affiliateship with them whatsoever, in fact I don't even know who owns it.

I'm certainly not frustrated, nor am I 'your dear'. :rolleyes:

JamieG, Mar 31, 2008 IP
  4. Kerunai

Kerunai Active Member

Best Answers:
    and google hates this kind of thing going on ....hehe..but still they pay well right ??

Kerunai, Mar 31, 2008 IP
  5. SasaVtec

SasaVtec Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What part of his not selling PR links at all don't you understand? Do you NOT understand that alive has PR of 0?

and his not selling freaking links, and do you have any proof to back up your statement?

Why isn't it unacceptable? because his directory is better then yours? because he makes more money they you? because he does obviously everything better then you?

seriously every single one of you who saw his prices are too high or that his selling PR links grow up and grow some.

SasaVtec, Mar 31, 2008 IP
  6. adda4u

adda4u Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    oh...shit......

adda4u, Mar 31, 2008 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  7. Overclock099

Overclock099 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Overclock099, Mar 31, 2008 IP
  8. timothy104

timothy104 Guest

Best Answers:
    (this is just my opinion, and I may very well be highly incorrect, but I read threw the whole 5 pages, so I'll shine some light on this)

basically the owner tried to claim he was making a directory that was useful and wasn't about PR, when in fact he was selling PR all the way. He bought tons of links on crappy websites and on many good sites too. he spent at least $xx,xxx-$xxx,xxx on marketing it, but Google penalized them because you can't buy Pr. PR is a measure of the importance of a page. How important is a site if it just buys links

Most directories are pointless and have no importance. Look at yahoo directory, it has millions of categories, compared to alive which has 100 or so. You see what i'm getting at, how can it be useful. The directory was made to make money, and now that google has screwed him, the owner screwed us (i had a featured link $150 or so can;t remember) and has left the forum in disgrace because he was a scham.

Bottom line is he made tons of money by cashing in while the beast (google) was sleeping, and slow to catch on to his brilliant gamble which paid of

timothy104, Mar 31, 2008 IP
    pipes and minstrel like this.
  9. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I dont think he ever claimed he was trying to make it useful. If he was he would have easily hired a few people to fill it up full of sites.

I think its called advertising. He bought links for both SEO and traffic purposes.

Was it? Too many things in life revolve around money. Only the owner can answer that question.

He screwed nobody. I expect your listing is still there. You got what you paid for - a featured listing in a directory. Where in his TOS did he promise that GODggle would index that link?

He left the forums as there was no point in him visiting. Seriously, a lot of use have wasted valuable time on just this one thread, let alone the rest of the crap posted in here these days.

mikey1090, Mar 31, 2008 IP
  10. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Read Jeff's blog post.

Neither of these directories were cheating people. They spent the money from listings on traffic and seo for their directories.

snowbird, Mar 31, 2008 IP
  11. SasaVtec

SasaVtec Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you bought a features listing on his directory, what your telling us here is that you though you were buying PR and got screwed over not because you were buying a listing as its still there. Then yes he did leave because the forums here were starting to get spammy as they still are by people who do not know what they are talking about, posting crap without doing any kind of research.

SasaVtec, Mar 31, 2008 IP
  12. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Welcome home :rolleyes:

Blogmaster, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  13. godmode

godmode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am not going to comment on whats other are talking but hey it still says $99.XX for a listing. Well i thought PR 0 comes for FREE?

godmode, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  14. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Don't speak for us all. I do a lot of research before making posts and even when you try and post on good subject matter it gets called crap. It seems to me people here only want to hear certain things. :confused:

JamieG, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  15. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Decreasing the fees due to a slap from Google would be a stupid move.

16. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Keeping them at that is an even worse one. Forget all the nonsense with Google, the hard fact of the matter blogmaster is that they've bigged themselves up too much and imho have way overpriced themselves. You can't charge a Rolls Royce price for a Robin Reliant.

JamieG, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  17. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its so tempting to make a daft april fools comment in this thread but it probably wouldn't work as your all on different time zones. :eek:

pipes, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  18. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    So everytime there is a PR update, the fees should be increased or descreased if the PR changes? What does that tell you about the reason people should buy a listing?

19. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Not at all. PR in its present state means absolutely nothing to me. AD ARE overpriced it's a simple as that. They simply don't offer a level of value either in real traffic (not other directory owners) or do they offer any real 'link juice' if that's what your after.

come on Blogmaster, AD are putting themselves in the same pricing bracket as Yahoo. The Rolls Royce against the Robin Reliant scenario. I'm sure that at some time AD may well get to a stage where it can command such fees but until then they are putting a big huge target on their own backs which many are going to be all too willing to shoot at.

The main thing I'm concerned about is that they don't get constantly slated for past mistakes. They did the crime, they're doing their time, what more do people want. :confused:

JamieG, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  20. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I'm saying that it would not be a smart business decision to charge less on a directory that has been charging large amounts for years. Not justifying the fee, Past or present. I am saying it's a lot smarter to leave things like they are and let that thing die, than lower the price and admit some sort of guilt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.