1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Alexa?

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by Chiara, Oct 21, 2004.

Can somebody help me understand Alexa? Because my domain name was owned by somebody else about a year before I bought it (I didn't know it was a previously owned domain name) it is on Alexa with the information of the old owners. I emailed Alexa about this two months ago with my change of information, but they haven't changed it.

The other thing is that it says my site has many popups, but there are NO popups on my site. How does it get that it has many?
    SEMrush
    Confused. :confused:

Also wanted to add that when I type my friend's business URL into Alexa, it brings up a Middle Eastern website. I don't get what the point of Alexa is if there is zero accuracy?

Chiara, Oct 21, 2004 IP
    SEMrush
  2. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    It's probably information based on the previous site. Alexa is apparently very slow at updating sites. Their still showing a cache for us that is over a year old.

lowrider14044, Oct 21, 2004 IP
  3. Elee

Elee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    While on Alexa, can anyone tell me how they compute the visits to a site? Their count never agrees with any other source.

Elee, Oct 21, 2004 IP
  4. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Chiara - Did you use the "correct errors or omissions in this listing" option at the foot of the page for you site's listing? There's a form there to enter your details. There's also an info.txt file that you can place in the root of your site's folder that the alexa bot supposedly updates from too - have a look on the Alexa site for it and implement it aswell.

Elee - It's all down to who has the Alexa toolbar installed, so it's really just a snapshot of their use. If everybody had it, it would be a different matter...

Lever, Oct 21, 2004 IP
  5. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    And if you go to their webmasters help section there is a link to ask them to crawl your site. Not sure if it will actually get them to do it though or update their cache? Might be worth a try though.

6. Chiara

Chiara Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, I did the "correct errors and omissions" thing two months ago and just redid it tonight. I guess I'll try the info.txt file.

Chiara, Oct 21, 2004 IP
  7. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I still don't get why anyone cares about alexa. Never used it, never will.

mopacfan, Oct 21, 2004 IP
  8. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    I don't think anyone really uses it. I think most people go there out of curiosity. And only webmasters and SEO people. Personally I don't know anyone who ues their tool bar? And obviously the people who do don't visit my site. At least not for very long. :)