1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Alexa, siri, cortana - are they listening?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by phplduser, May 11, 2018.

Hi All,

Hearing stories of people talking in general to family members, Friends & so on while in the presence of a Alexa, siri, or cortana device and some people have noted that using search afterwards and or just viewing social networks it seems ads are displayed regarding conversations?

Best Regards

phplduser, May 11, 2018 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    If you place an Internet-connected listening device in your home, do not be surprised if it listens to you and your family members at all times, no matter what the manufacturer may publish in terms of privacy, etc. And, of course, law enforcement and hackers will find unique ways to use such a device, as well.

jrbiz, May 13, 2018 IP
  3. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Same with your computer and your phone. iPhones have been listening for as long as I have had one, probably longer. Ads will relate to things you talk about, this is with the phone in my pocket, it still hears it well enough to pull up ads for something talked about but not searched for online.

You know the the whole FBI/Apple thing was just to build trust right? It was a setup to keep you believing: https://boingboing.net/2016/02/22/apples-letter-explaining-why.html

debunked, May 17, 2018 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  4. OneVPScom

OneVPScom Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello,

I would say they don't listen by default, but they might if there is a court order?

OneVPScom, May 17, 2018 IP
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I don't even trust my microwave oven. :)

Actually, it goes beyond IoT. Certain law enforcement agencies have devices that can see and devices that can hear through walls from a distance. They see with either sensitive infrared or penetrating radar technology, I believe. I also have read that they have devices that can pick up the minute vibrations in a house's windows that are caused by conversations indoors and they can listen in that way.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    jrbiz, May 17, 2018 IP
  6. Penny44

Penny44 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Those devices are definitely listening to you, didn't you see the story where Alexa sent a recording of a conversation between husband and wife of a random friend? Even without those, your cell phone, laptop, TV, Roku etc. are all watching and listening to you too. Creepy isn't it?

Penny44, Jun 2, 2018 IP
  7. Larry Thibodeaux

Larry Thibodeaux Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well the FBI is on my phone, they might be on my Alexa also.

Larry Thibodeaux, Jun 26, 2018 IP