1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Alexa Rankings - What is Decent, Bad, Good? How many visitors per position...

Discussion in 'Traffic Analysis' started by woahdolla, Jul 9, 2006.

With alexa rankings, how do I find out how many unique visitors a site has based on their positions? Like Yahoo is number 1, so how many uniques per day? and so on...

If I cant get info that detailed, can you tell me was is a good ranking?

Like if a site is 5,000,000, I assume thats very bad?

What about 1,000,000?

500,000?

200,000?

etc etc

woahdolla, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  2. Steve Myers

Steve Myers Active Member

Best Answers:
    To make it easier for you, the more visitors you get a day will boost your rank lower.

The higher your site is, say over 2million, it's not good, but not bad, it just means you're not getting much traffic, probably averaging about 100-200 hits a day. Though there are sites that have a PR4 (already had that PR if bought from someone who owned it before them) have a 2-3million rank.

You can also have a 53,000 rank on alexa, and have a PR of 0. Thought I'd throw that in there incase you wanted to know that as well. Main key to get a low rank on alexa is to just simply get traffic :)

Steve Myers, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  3. woahdolla

woahdolla Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, thanks, that helps some.

Lets say a site thats rank 200,000 on alexa? On a scale of 1-10 (10 being best), would you give it a 5ish type score? What about a rank of 100,000? 50,000?

Im just trying to get a ball park figure of what sites are getting how much traffic based on rank

woahdolla, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  4. UnderEstimated

UnderEstimated Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    but i have a low rank on my directory which is started like some days ago and on my forum i have over million and i get like 150 to 175 uniques ./day there .... ay reason that u know off ?

UnderEstimated, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  5. Steve Myers

Best Answers:
    @woahdolla, 200k being a 3 reason why is because you're just getting your feet wet before you get into the actual game of the rank fit. (Viewers like a low number, shows you're doing your job in advertising ;) )

@UnderEstimated, your forum can get 100 to 150 uniques a day, and can still sit in the 1mill for a bit, it's when the number of hits jump higher in a day is when you will get lower in alexa. For example, if you get 100 one day, 120 the next 148 the next day and it moves and moves and moves up more and more, you will get lower in alexa's ranking.

The way to keep your alexa ranking low and get lower is to double your hits to your site and make your visitors want to come back for more.

Now for your directory will get more hits, why? because people target those things like a fly going to a blue light to get zapped, it's a feed source for traffic and link building. You will always have more traffic at your directory than you will to your forum until you drive your traffic from your directory to your forum. ;)

Hope that helps.

6. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not quite. The main thing is to get webmaster traffic.

Directories always have fairly high Alexa rankings, as do webmaster-related sites. It's mostly webmasters who know about and download the toolbar.

Alexa has no idea how many unique visitors a site gets, it can only estimate based on toolbar data. So you can get these big discepancies in its rankings, especially for sites which don't see much traffic.

Obelia, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  7. Steve Myers

Best Answers:
    Correct, and my apologies on that, alexa does go by the toolbar of the user.

Traffic from users in general and webmaster, in everyones eyes it's basically the samething, whether it be someone just searching, or a webmaster knowing where he or she is going. Both parties are the same role no matter what. :)

8. UnderEstimated

Best Answers:
    i understand the math behind it now but drive traffic means advertise or ...?

9. Steve Myers

Best Answers:
    Correct, you need to advertise your site(s) out to forums, link directories (join a lot of these, but join quality link directories that will benefit your sites) blogs, articles, myspace, (which OptikPoint.com now has, check my signature for the link) and many other resources, friends family, anyone and anything you can get your hands on :)

10. UnderEstimated

Best Answers:
    arite i got it myspace gonna workout yea

11. CosmosCR

CosmosCR Guest

Best Answers:
    His point is that webmasters are more likely to use the toolbar, and therefore the results will be artificially inflated if you get webmaster traffic.

CosmosCR, Jul 9, 2006 IP