1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Alexa ranking

Discussion in 'Traffic Analysis' started by plmerlin, Jan 31, 2005.

1. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    While I agree with most of what is written above (especially that it is a statistically skewed sample), I'd suggest that for sites with "good" Alexa rankings, there probably has some correlation with reality.

For instance, my www.komar.org site had huge spikes in it's Alexa Rankings when my christmas lights went live ... and I thought I was doing pretty decent when I broke into the "top-10000" list ... until I looked at DP's Alexa ranking - currently 520 ... and climbing - wow!

hulkster, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  2. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Alexa rankings are pointless unless you want to workout how many webmasters click their own site + have the toolbar installed.

Real life example: 2 clients 1 (Site A) has around 300 or so relevant unique visitors a day (all from search). The other (Site B) currently has between 1 and 5 uniques. Site A = circa 700,000. Site B = circa 200,000.
    The reason ? Site B has their homepage as default in IE and the alexa toolbar installed. 4.5 mil (1400%) rise in a couple of months.

The only benefits I can see are
    1. Alexa's directory - (its a link to you from a relevant category)
    2. The uninitiated might think your site is more legitimate, if they see you with a high rank
    3. You might get a good review and have gold stars by your name..(who voted dp 4.5 instead of 5?)
    4. Someone might find your site from the 'visitors also looked at..'
    5. You can show your clients how smart you or you can be honest with them and tell them its not worth alot. Either way its another 'little extra'

If you have a busy site you are likely to get a reasonable ranking anyway.. So I wouldnt waste my time trying to fix the rise (I would spend that time trying to get an extra link or 2).

http://www.hitwise.com is probably better for real comparisons

Design Agent, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  3. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
  4. Chrissicom

Chrissicom Guest

Best Answers:
    A9 is an Amazon.com company like Alexa, so I don't think you should give one much more positive words than the other.

I personally don't care about Alexa rankings but it is very useful for another thing. Alexa tells me (at least for other Alexa users) which websites people visit who come to my website. So I can either try to get a link back from them or get a better result than them in a search engine. Since I am an Amazon.com affiliate it also helps me choose which products I buy. With the assumption that private Alexa users are people who trust Amazon, I think they will also buy Amazon products therefor I can choose my affiliate products partially by the average Alexa visitor.

Chrissicom, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  5. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not A9 is not too bad for a new search engine. Amazon and A9 are both very good but Alexa isn't. So now I have to like everything on a menu in a restaurant because it comes from the same chef ?

Alexa could be something very useful and good, but I see it as a bit of a wasted opportunity, then I know nothing about its stats, costs or return it gets.. so I dont know whether its worth it for them or not.

6. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    As I mentioned above, I agree that Alexa rankings are a bit bunk, and agree anything above 10,000 can be heavily influenced by a handful of people running the Alexa toolbar and having their site set as their home page.

But I did think it kinda cool that it clearly show the spike during the Holiday Season for www.komar.org ... and it's darn impressive that DP ranks in the top-1000 where I suspect the numbers do start to correllate with reality.

hulkster, Feb 6, 2005 IP