1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Alexa Ranking Relevance in Marketing

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by John Onwuegbu, Apr 21, 2014.

Lately, I have come to understand that Alexa Ranking is grossly inaccurate and so, wonder why SEO and Marketers rely much on such an inaccurate metrics for sponsorship and advertising. Google Analytics is one with true traffic metrics and should be more encouraged by creating platforms that incorporate it like Webfluenti.al

John Onwuegbu, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  2. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    They don't rely on it. Only the SEO and marketing kiddies and wannabes rely on it.

Agent000, Apr 21, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch and asmodeus like this.
  3. Boost_Software

Boost_Software Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa is considered a respectable standard to use for determining website quality. However, some paid SEO services can inflate the results. For instance, some site owners sell website traffic.

Boost_Software, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  4. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What an absolute load of sh*te! Alexa is NOT respectable; not accurate; has absolutely NOTHING to do with website quality; and is a totally useless metric!

Agent000, Apr 22, 2014 IP
    Nigel Lew likes this.
  5. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Pure comedy. It is considered a good way of gauging how many spammers use a site (they are easily the majority users of it, who share your misguided belief).

ryan_uk, Apr 22, 2014 IP
    Nigel Lew likes this.
  6. Pillai.G

Pillai.G Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I feel DA of a website that matters the most!

Pillai.G, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  7. asmodeus

asmodeus Notable Member

Best Answers:
    First of all, true online marketers who know what they're doing don't use Alexa at all. Alexa is strictly used as a measurement in a p*ssing contest between newbie webmasters who don't know any better. Then when someone buys advertising from one of these sites they complain about it because they used it's flawed metrics in the first place.

Second, Google Analytics is also tragically flawed, but webmasters use them because they think it must be better because it's run by Google. Not true at all.

Basically, pretty much anything giving statistics via a third party site or software is going to run into problems. If you want accuracy then use your OWN server side stat logs instead.

asmodeus, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  8. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    This is also flawed, though. They all have their pros and cons. I would not call Google Analytics "tragically flawed", or any of the other decent analytics services for that matter. Many of them offer benefits over most of the log file analysis software. Logs might give more accurate numbers of actual hits, but filtering out what is human traffic and what isn't is a great deal harder. A lot (but not all, admittedly) of bots/scrapers/whatever don't execute JS, whereas they do cause a page load and if they don't correctly identify themselves, you're left with skewed stats from the raw logs, too. Analytics are important beyond just traffic, but also user behaviour. There are ones that make heatmaps and can reveal useful information, such as people are trying to click on something where there isn't a link. Parts of the page that are ignored/utterly useless, etc.

Anyway, a website should be measured in multiple ways, but also appropriately. Screw PA, DA, PR, Alexa, Trust Flow and similar junk. If my PR NA/0 pages are converting well, visitors are enjoying them, etc, then that makes me damn happy.

ryan_uk, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  9. danyalsadd

danyalsadd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Who says ALEXA is trusted or a GOOD SOURCE OF MATRIC ??? Alexa has ranked my site 1476483 But according to google analytic , I am getting 1200 average UV daily , My adsense earning yesterday was 89$ , Bounce rate is 37% while in Alexa my bounce rate in 80% , the only information which is looking real is the Search traffic and keywords

danyalsadd, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  10. nixande

nixande Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa is useless UNLESS you have specific purposed. People like to flaunt it around because it gives them an idea of "how cool they are".

From their website

Alexa's traffic estimates are based on data from our global traffic panel, which is a sample of millions of Internet users using one of over 25,000 different browser extensions. In addition, we gather much of our traffic data from direct sources in the form of sites that have chosen to install the Alexa script on their site and certify their metrics. However, site owners can always choose to keep their certified metrics private.
    So if you want to compare yourself to people who have installed the toolbar (and some other extensions) then you can get an interesting idea. Thought they throw out their global reach, I constantly see US sites to be overdone in their results. Comparing with several sites I run and client data (both analytics, server logs and other indications) I can savely say "you can as well throw a dice".

Otherwise count how many people you know who have installed f.e. the toolbar.

However, if your audience is specific to "would install a toolbar" - in my mind tabloid and pix sites work well with that kind of audience - then alexa can give you an idea about market potential. As with everytzhing: you need to know what you are doing and how to interpret those numbers.

nixande, Apr 23, 2014 IP
    ryanmacca likes this.
  11. kulwantnagi2003

kulwantnagi2003 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Because this is the only things which is anyone can see in truthful state. No one know the amount of traffic any website is getting, so replying on this factor is the only option for advertisers.

kulwantnagi2003, Apr 23, 2014 IP
  12. ryanmacca

ryanmacca Active Member

Best Answers:
    People only use Alexa to make themselves sound good. To say "I am in the top 100,000 websites in the world" makes them sound respectable. Even though Alexa is totally inaccurate.

ryanmacca, Apr 23, 2014 IP
  13. Pastorsinlot

Pastorsinlot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Any real webmaster knowns Alexa is bull. It can inflated so bad its not funny.

Pastorsinlot, May 7, 2014 IP