1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

alexa and traffic

Discussion in 'Traffic Analysis' started by real, Feb 17, 2006.

Alexa generally shows correct traffic, even if there is a temporary bump it disappears when things are averaged the next day.

But this time there is something strage. Alexa shows 10 percent jump when compared to last week, but there is 20 percent drop in actual traffic stats and adsense stats show. So is it possible that some traffic going to domain leaks (redirected elsewhere) before it arrives at the site because of a server/dns problem (or abuse)?

real, Feb 17, 2006 IP
  2. andriusk

andriusk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa is just showing visits from people who has Alexa bar installed, so numbers can be wrong.

andriusk, Feb 17, 2006 IP
  3. real

real Peon

Best Answers:
    I know that much. I'd appreciate possible answers to second paragraph then: can traffic be lost via server, trojan related redirects.

real, Feb 18, 2006 IP
  4. andriusk

andriusk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry, but I'm not pro in that second part ... :(

andriusk, Feb 18, 2006 IP
  5. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    alexa is no where near accurate untill u get in top 100.

i have a site that gets 4,000 uniques with a better alexa stat then a site that gets 12,000 unique

just-4-teens, Feb 18, 2006 IP
  6. real

real Peon

Best Answers:
    How can you check if traffic going to a domain leaks from time to time for some ip ranges?
    For example if alexa traffic is very high, but actual traffic is low; this would be a reason to suspect that traffic from links or type-ins might be redirected elsewhere.

real, Feb 22, 2006 IP
  7. echelon

echelon Peon

Best Answers:
    Have there been any studies that show how accurate Alexa ratings are? I have a rating that I am very curious about, and I would be very eager to learn if it is accurate.

I do suppose that with only toolbar users as the sample that ratings would be slightly skewed. Is there any better way to rank websites than this?

echelon, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  8. tstaut

tstaut Active Member

Best Answers:
    I dunno of any specific studies but it's pretty common knowledge that not only are they inaccurate, they're also easily manipulated.

I think "skewed" is too subtle of a word for how unimportant their numbers really are.

Is there a better way to rank web sites? I'd say traffic- uniques, visits and page loads. :)

tstaut, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  9. illstand1

illstand1 Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I think that makes sense.

illstand1, Apr 14, 2010 IP
  10. s521545

s521545 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa is not much accurate ranking tool. It just shows visits from people who has alexa toolbar installed

s521545, Apr 15, 2010 IP
  11. jobypdmn

jobypdmn Peon

Best Answers:
    you cannot expect alexa to show correct ranking at initial stage. but once the rank falls below 50k most of the website ranks below 50k is accurate in terms of traffic. only high traffic websites are ranked below 50k so it very hard to manipulate with the ranking
    techzyn.com

jobypdmn, Feb 5, 2012 IP
  12. etishere

etishere Active Member

Best Answers:
    and I just bought an interesting Alexa package.

The person guaranteed to get my Alexa ranking down to 100k. I assumed he would do this by sending traffic - alas, I was naive.

He is getting the ranking down successfully, I might add, by sending traffic information direct to Alexa.

It amazes me that with no real people, no pretend people, not even bots going to my website my Alexa ranking is plummeting.

So much for Alexa!

etishere, Feb 5, 2012 IP
  13. grim111

grim111 Banned

Best Answers:
    It would be grate to have some alternative to Alexa. Because it is worst analytics site ever.
    My traffic increased twice, but Alexa does't show changes for two months.

grim111, Feb 6, 2012 IP