1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Alarm time for Content Writers now!!!

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by dilon, Jun 5, 2012.

Hey,

Actually I was quite baffled to whether post this thread or not but finally encouraged myself to post this.
    SEMrush
    I am a content writer by profession and functioning for various members of this forum for last three
    years. However, last few months are critically surprising for me. Lately, I have noticed huge decline in
    the rates on offer for content writing. People are posing their writing services at as low as $1 to $1.5 for
    an article. This is way below the standard I think. Yes, it may be because of the increased competition
    but largely, it’s because of the lowered quality standard also. Let me explain:

For every writer, there is a ratio to define income out of dedicated time for writing. When lower rates
    are offered and accepted, it also bites time put into writing and thus affects on eminence of content.
    Many of my clients experienced it when they went with such writers and received terrible quality (to my
    benefit, HAHAHA…).

By product of this state of affairs is the vanishing of the quality writers from this forum. This means
    standard of quality also goes down.

My concern is not my earning because I have good number of clients who give me same rates as they
    were giving before, but I am more alarmed about the declining standard of the writing at my favorite
    forum.

I am also interested in what others think. Have you experienced the same thing here? If yes, then
    members/moderators should act and do something about rates because that will ensure higher quality
    standard and good pool of writers at DP.

Regards,

--Dilon

dilon, Jun 5, 2012 IP
    jennifer.koebele likes this.
    SEMrush
  2. bandorsson

bandorsson Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, I am happy that someone is thinking same thing like me. :)

As per my view this mass happened because this is the only form ( Well known ) which is allowing freelancers to post their Advertising at FREE OF COST. I think MOD should think about this issue. Else quality writers/ providers will leave this forum.

Regards

bandorsson, Jun 5, 2012 IP
  3. uriah

uriah Active Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed with you bandorsson. MOD must have to think about it.

Regards,
    Uriah++

uriah, Jun 5, 2012 IP
  4. paulmartin

paulmartin Active Member

Best Answers:
    I concur too! It has been bugging me for last three months - $1.5 per 500 words? Is that fair rate for quality writers?

paulmartin, Jun 5, 2012 IP
  5. bunny2790

bunny2790 Member

Best Answers:
    Actually well said by Dilon. I'd like to say something on same topic. All Of you know about the competitor as well I need to increase own business which is possible to make as soon as other person who are providing some of unaccepted rates however other forum like freelancer and whatever actually they're from and doing some (#playing) dump with qualified writers ( im not blaming to anyone ) just want to inform that don't keep this up again and again here ( @DP ) . Its not only for us its also about whole market as well for mainly for DPF. All MODs are showing this things but no-one take some step against same issue. Its really unfair with qualified writers who are earning from only this place. Hope All MODs, Other active Members will do understand and hope positive response will come soon only on DP.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
    bunny2790, Jun 5, 2012 IP
  6. sweetcrabhoney18

sweetcrabhoney18 Guest

Best Answers:
    I get the points you are making --- $1.5 for a 500 word article is crazy cheap. there is no way that person is making hourly rates. I don't market my services on this forum often because my rates are purely too high for the market here. It's completely pointless these days. -- yes I have clients from the forum that I've had for a year or so but they get my best rate because of bulk quality work.

The truth is because this forum has a range of buyers and sellers everyone can find a good blend to earn. If you price your work at 3cent per word -- you can still sale here.. yes it won't be as easy as selling $1.5 for one article but instead you'd get clients who understand quality. It just takes a bit of patience.

My advice is to start here but then move on -- there are so many ways to get freelance jobs that this place can be limiting. Don't let people who charge pennies make you think that you can't build the income you desire. Trust me it's not impossible.... For example, I moved on from DP when I replied to an ad with my phone number and my price. The guy called me and actually laughed at my price. What a complete waste of time and it proved that this site isn't right for my level of services... Thus I've expanded my business and have clients that range form those that have tight budgets to those that can afford to pay for true quality.

Keep moving forward everyone! :)

sweetcrabhoney18, Jun 5, 2012 IP
  7. vidhi543

vidhi543 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The main reason of price decreation is because the whole forum is FREE.2nd lots of people coming in this forum and doing free advertising as the FORUM is FREE for all. Around more than 40% people are in the service section who actually don't know about his work. lol MOD can save this section only by using some paid features.

vidhi543, Jun 5, 2012 IP
  8. Celtivo

Celtivo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To be honest, I think you are better offering your content writing services on a website. It's usually pretty easy for buyers to identify if the writer is good quality or not from a website, plus, competition is much less an issue as they are not being advertised on your website, unlike a forum.

Thats the way to go in my opinion, dont lower your prices just because of competition.

Celtivo, Jun 5, 2012 IP
    Live2Write likes this.
  9. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For $1.5 for a 500 word article someone is most likely spinning articles and hoping the customers English is poor enough they will not realize.
    A person can probably spin 20-40 articles an hour not bad if you can find enough naive people.

averyz, Jun 5, 2012 IP
  10. Live2Write

Live2Write Active Member

Best Answers:
    I second with what sweetcrabhoney and celtivo said. Each one of us would love to see those '$0.5 a word paying' jobs but we dont see them often. What I realize those who pay good will have no reason to look for 'their' writers at the forums. They will go off the BST forums to hire their people.

So, instead of asking the forum to do something about the low paying jobs, writers should realize/set their threshold (acceptable) prices. And, if all writers take a stand without the forum having to intervene (which I doubt it will) we would see standards improving.

Live2Write, Jun 5, 2012 IP
  11. dilon

dilon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the support members! :)

- Another effect of this situation is the declined visibility of new thread! I mean, when you post new thread, it goes off the block pretty quickly due to other members offering their service at insane rates.

dilon, Jun 6, 2012 IP
  12. awundrin

awundrin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Glad someone brought this up! This forum has been invaded by so-called writers who are more than willing to crank out crap for pennies. I for one, would be glad to pay a fee to use this forum if it would help clean up some of the riff-raff. I also think that something should be done by DP to help us long-term, trusted members out a bit here. It is beginning to look a lot like freelancerdotcom where the rates are as low as 50 cents per 500 words - believe it or not!

awundrin, Jun 6, 2012 IP
  13. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This seems to be a perennial topic. The answer has always been the same - DP is not going to dictate rates. The BST section has a flea market mentality and it's been that way for years.

I think the marketplace here is much like that anywhere. There are folks selling $1 hamburgers and folks selling $45+ hamburgers (Kobi beef anyone?). Some people will like the $1 burgers and some people will hate them. Most would agree that $45 is way too much but those with enough money to spend on them will buy them. The business model at the low end is based on volume. The business on the high end is based on exclusivity and elegance - doubtful they will be selling their burgers wrapped in paper and offer seating next to a playground.

Writing isn't all that different. You have the buyers and sellers looking for filler. I suspect you could sell some of these folks lorem ipsum text and if it passed Copyscape they would gladly put it on their sites as long as it included their chosen keywords. Then you have the folks looking for exclusivity and elegance of writing. They are willing to pay more because they understand they will be getting something better.

There are far more filler buyers here than quality ones. You won't see the quality buyers over in the BST section. They approach writers via PM based on their writing samples here in the conversations. Sure some of the filler buyers will PM too. And, they will 'cop a tude' when they can't coerce a quality writer to settle for pennies. Let them laugh. You'll be the one laughing when their sites finally get de-indexed or Google drops them from Adsense.

Sadly, there's no moderator assigned to this section of DP. The $1 an article writers know it. The owner has the mentality that anyone who volunteers to moderate has an agenda and will never been given moderator status. Been there, done that, gave up.

YMC, Jun 6, 2012 IP
    inomcoke and jennifer.koebele like this.
  14. rockyshah90

rockyshah90 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes,i am agree with you.To survive service section, DP mod must have to update some paid features. Truly, it Bizarre to me when I go through service section.

rockyshah90, Jun 6, 2012 IP
  15. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    OK, so you guys are mad because that value of article writing is too low for you to make it, but fine for the racoons and scavengers. Well, that's (sort of) your fault for getting into a market that does not require a mass amount of hard skills to do. The reason why this happens is because everyone is taught to write in school. If that's so then its not a rare skill. When its not a rare skill then there is no demand for workers and thus the value crashes.

There is nothing you can do about it.

Laceygirl, Jun 7, 2012 IP
    averyz likes this.
  16. justjewellery

justjewellery Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree as someone who has previously looked for a decent article writer, all you can find is people who will write for a minuscule amount of money but can't even string a comprehensible sentence together. I would much rather have high quality than cheapness but this is increasingly difficult to find.
    I also have to say that I think decent article writing does require a high level of skill if its to be of any merit.

justjewellery, Jun 7, 2012 IP
  17. inomcoke

inomcoke Member

Best Answers:
    Low quality, cheap writers are everywhere. There is no need to get rid of them or limit them in any way because you (I assume) and I as high quality writers are not targeting the same audience.

I don't want to write for someone who will be satisfied with low quality 'word soup' that is likely stolen and spun anyway. People who buy the $1.50/500 words will use this content on their site and make about $.25 per month from it. They will quickly get sick of this and move on to something else.

Those who are interested in my (and presumably your) writing are going to be putting up high quality sites that are successful for the long term. They will make lots of money and be more than happy to use our type of services.

I write for $.025 per word ($12.50 for 500 words) minimum and most often much higher than that. I don't feel threatened at all from the cheap writers because we are in an entirely different market. If anything, I pity them for the very sore fingers they will soon have. lol

inomcoke, Jun 7, 2012 IP
  18. Muisings Freelance Contne

Muisings Freelance Contne Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with most of ya'll. I actually typed up a rant yesterday and was going to post it here but then I came across this thread.

Key Points So Far:

*The cheap content writers aren't going away and DP isn't willing to do anything about them.
    *Set-up and sell most of your work from your own site. You can use DP to "up sell"...right?
    *Don't lower rates to stay competitive with service providers that aren't really competition. $1 for 500 words gets you a shitty, fluffy, re-written article...so you're not (or most people aren't) in that category.

I think that having a mixture of clients from DP, WF, Elance, Odesk and your own private site is the way to go. The key is to NOT lower rates unless you're offering a TEMPORARY SPECIAL to build up a client list. Anyone disagree? Everyone has sales but no one can survive a "clearance sale" all the tme.

Find a way to supplement your writing with other stuff...I don't even want to say these words here but Textbroker and other sites like it will at least keep the pennies coming in if you do some writing there everyday...especially when you're personal business is dry. Albeit, the best way to supplement is by having some sort of residual stream so that you can devote minimal time to IT and MAXIMUM time to marketing your writing services/business.

Personally, I feel that the way to go is to ensure that you get 3-10 customers that are willing to pay you what your writing/content/services are truly worth and make them so damn happy with the service that you keep them forever. You market yourself and services and then you do what you can to keep the great clients...the sales industry knows this. If people would treat their writing more like a BUSINESS and less like a $1 bordello with a coupon night then everyone would be better off. They'd write less and earn more. The client would get great a service/product and the writer (who has the skills to pay the bills) keeps putting food on the table and can truly call themselves a professional.

Something that I'm going to implement on my site this weekend is the opportunity for clients to "brief" me on exactly what they want, either through live chat or skype and then afford them the chance to be "out-briefed" once the content is completed and it's in their hands. That way they can look it over and (if needed and wanted) go line by line on revisions. This is PERSONAL ATTENTION! If a client doesn't want, or feels it unnecessary, then at the end of the day you at least put in a "forcing" procedure to ensure their acceptance of your work.

Thoughts?

Ken

19. staveros

staveros Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am considering the potential for getting into copywriting myself, but I too have been astonished to see some of the rates being quoted on here...without being arrogant, I would value my ability and time at significantly more.

What kind of rates are seriously attainable for work of a decent standard?

staveros, Jun 7, 2012 IP
  20. awundrin

awundrin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice post Ken and I agree with your points! You're right, the cheap writers are here to stay unfortunately. What really surprises me is how many buyers actually take this crap. But as you said, they put the very low quality content on their sites and earn nothing. I have a group of regulars who love my work so I stay busy most of the time. And, many of them recommend me to others which is great for me.

Laceygirl, I disagree w/ what you said regarding it's the fault of writers for 'getting into a market that does not require a mass amount of skill'. Not everyone can write well enough to sell their work.

awundrin, Jun 7, 2012 IP