1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ahh i hate IE6

Discussion in 'CSS' started by Hansman, Jul 27, 2009.

Can anyone help me out on this page.

http://bugid.net/

works great in FF and IE7, IE6 is screwed up

thx in advance.

Hansman, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  2. mudiiw

mudiiw Peon

Best Answers:

i think there is a free website, that takes images of your site and points out errors, i cant think of the sites name, so i will get back to you with it.

mudiiw, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  3. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    IE 6 does not support .png transparency. Google will supply plenty of info.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  4. bjnix04

bjnix04 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    browsershots!!!
    http://browsershots.org/

Join the club man, I had to redesign several sites JUST because of IE6...

bjnix04, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  5. espreson

espreson Peon

Best Answers:
    IE6 is outdated...It's messy to work on it..

espreson, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  6. igordr

igordr Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    When i designing a web site, i have problems with ie6, too ! He shows layouts tottaly diffrent of other, modern browsers, but huge number of people still using it... You need to optimise your site for ie6, remmamber it !

igordr, Aug 1, 2009 IP
  7. Amator

Amator Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you are maybe right but still many people are using IE 6.

Amator, Aug 1, 2009 IP
  8. bglite

bglite Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes It right :D

bglite, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  9. unigogo

unigogo Peon

Best Answers:
    This is why we have to redesign for these people.

unigogo, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  10. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    *** NOTE *** It's not that transparent .png is unsupported by IE6, it's that ALPHA transparent .png's are not supported. Palletized transparency works just fine.

That said, there's NOTHING on that page that couldn't be pre-composited, probably saving bandwidth in the process.

As to the page itself, you might want to start by fixing your valid markup, since it's a new page you really have no business writing it in a tranny doctype, I'd take a monster **** axe to that jquery bull, but of course being a turdpress layout lord knows what it's relying on that rubbish for... Which also explains the half dozen unnecessary DIV, the dozen or so unnecessary classes, and the heading tag abuse, much less the use of images for elements that SHOULD be your headings with text fall-backs.

deathshadow, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  11. 1 FineLine

1 FineLine Peon

Best Answers:
    Designing for IE6 is not as bad as people make it out to be. Learning to code for cross browser problems is the key. If you are having to redesign an entire site to get it to work in IE6 then you are not starting the design process in the most productive manner.

In other words know beforehand what works in what browser. Know what the issues are to begin with and address them with conditional statements. NEVER apply hacks.

The majority of issues I run across with IE6 are spacing issues.

1 FineLine, Aug 5, 2009 IP
  12. mfx

mfx Member

Best Answers:
    You can:
    Let your IE6 users see poorly formatted pages.
    Make conditional styles to support IE6
    Point to a different stylesheet (or remove the style sheet) for ie6 users

I recommend simply ignoring IE6 problems as long as the page is still readable.
    If you cant do this, then just have a seperate (or additional) style sheet for IE6 and maintain them both.

mfx, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  13. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    You forgot "use one or two layout 'fixes' like haslayout to fix things... The three you listed not even being choices I would make.

Made of /FAIL/ - supporting IE6 is NOT that **** hard, I don't understand why people seem to think it is... Trip haslayout as needed, use expressions to replace the use of min- and max-, slap in a htc to allow hover/focus on anything, and in ultra-rare cases use * html to use height instead of min-height...

Gee, is that hard? Is that handful of things (maybe five lines of code) worth separating out to it's own file AND including three or four lines in the markup to include? **** no.

deathshadow, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  14. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    ...but, those IE stylesheets come default with most templates. Which possibly suggests people who write templates or themes don't know how to code, but it might be the way the template is set up somehow forces them to do this. I've seen iecss.css sheets with nothing more than 2 rules in them.

Stomme poes, Aug 12, 2009 IP
  15. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Ah, so you understood what I was saying... and for the most part 'template' designers can get away with it too becuase who uses templates in the first place?

People who don't know how to do it themselves, and so wouldn't know what total SHIT the code is.

deathshadow, Aug 12, 2009 IP
  16. Oranges

Oranges Active Member

Best Answers:
    Windows Xp is still used by many users and windows 2000 as well, that is why we have to design and code for IE6 and that is absolutely rubbish.

Oranges, Aug 12, 2009 IP
  17. JahRasta311

JahRasta311 Peon

Best Answers:
    Dude, it is really bad. I go and read a bunch of tutorials, learn all the current tricks with CSS, and then I go to implement the stuff I learn, only to find out that IE is a decade behind the times. Why wouldn't Microsoft pay someone like Mozilla for their browser code and start from there, instead of still trying to play catch-up while they fall more and more behind?

My school of thought at the moment is that if people are running IE6, I really don't want them on my site, lol.

JahRasta311, Aug 12, 2009 IP
  18. kjb

kjb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    IE6 does not do transparent png's, but as far as I remember it does support transparent gifs.

Also the ie 6 hack, * html -css here- is your friend.

kjb, Aug 12, 2009 IP
  19. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    They wouldn't dare ask Mozilla for help. Mozilla is their arch enemy : )

Despite IE6 being so far behind in support, most of us who regularly must build for it and the Modern Browsers usually have just a few special lines for IE6. How many hacks you need for IE6 really depends on the way you structure your site. I made a horizontal site, which of course needed a lot of hacks for IE6. But I chose that design, knowing the problems.
    But most standard sites I build, the hacks are minimal.

As for IE6 users, remember all those who don't have a choice. The sites I build for my boss need to work with IE6 partially because it's what's in all the public areas: hospitals, libraries, schools and universities, and still many companies who are running Windows 2000 servers. They generally don't stay cutting edge on stuff like browsers. (it's sad that "cutting edge" here means, something only a few years old)

Also if you're a blind Windows user and don't have the latest and greatest in screen readers, you're probably using IE6 or 7 because that's what your reader works with. JAWS 10 works really well with Firefox 3, but that's the newest JAWS, and I had trouble going through FF2 or 3 in JAWS7, my older copy. I didn't have most of my commands, or they didn't work the same as in IE.
    So, if you're building a general, for-everyone site, you have to think really carefully before telling all the IE6 users to f***-off, no matter how much we really really want to. You may be telling the blind to f***-off, or your business' partner companies, or that student demographic you're trying to reach. And if you're building a site for a government agency or a non-profit, IE6 support, and sometimes IE5.5(!) may simply be a requirement.

I know someone who is unfortunate enough to be building an internal web app for a company who only uses IE6. They are also stuck with Perl 5.008 : ( which is like, before Unicode! Bleh.

Stomme poes, Aug 13, 2009 IP