1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

against TOS to use swear words?

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by letsmakeamillion, Jun 30, 2005.

is it ok to use swear words on my sites that have adsense on them or is that against TOS ?

letsmakeamillion, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  2. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure if it is in the TOS couldnt find it but this is the reason why some people get PSA's :

crazyhorse, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  3. bluegill_catcher

bluegill_catcher Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why would anyone wanna have a site with swear words on it ? lol

bluegill_catcher, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  4. exaro

exaro Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say that you could have a site with swear words in it, but not a site devoted to swear words and the art of swearinig. ;)

exaro, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  5. letsmakeamillion

letsmakeamillion Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well, for example on a blog, trying to create a personality for the blog... it can be used as a marketing tool to create a personality and give the site an rough edge

the swear words i want to use are bullshit and shit, and dammit and crap

letsmakeamillion, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  6. TooHappy

TooHappy Guest

Best Answers:
    It's a fine line with the TOS, but chances are you will get PSA's! It's not worth it in the long run.

TooHappy, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  7. Liminal

Liminal Peon

Best Answers:
    i am pretty sure adsense is ok with bullshit and shit. but dammit and crap are no no

Liminal, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  8. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    I couldnt find the link before but i accidently stumbled into it tonight. Take a look at this adsense stopword list

crazyhorse, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  9. Baz@rr

Baz@rr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One of my sites has a pretty steady stream of bad language used both in the forum and in some of the articles, and I don't think I've seen a PSA yet. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

When I first applied for AdSense, though, I got rejected on the basis my site was "prejudiced against a living individual" I think the e-mail said. I wrote back and asked who, and they replied saying "Mike Baldwin", due to a series of letters I have on the site under the heading "Stalking Mike Baldwin".

If you're in the UK I'm sure you can understand why that made me laugh. I e-mailed them back to explain, and they let me in.

In fact that article has some bad language in it, and they obviously read it, so the fact they let me in when they discovered Mike Baldwin is a fictional character suggests swearing is okay.

Baz@rr, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  10. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    :p I guess the humour was lost on them there, maybe its a credit to Johnny's acting, don't want Underworld suing google for loss on sales of their panties :D

sji2671, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  11. tlainevool

tlainevool Guest

Best Answers:
    From the Google TOS:

They will allow some swearing, but not I guess what is "excessive" is up to Google.

tlainevool, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  12. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's against the TOS of the scriptures:)

Arnie, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  13. sparkimarki

sparkimarki Peon

Best Answers:
    Swearing in context can be funny but as computers struggle to understand context and as publishers don't want their ads on offensive sites, I would advise you to avoid swearing on your site. You may get away with it today, but who know about tomorrow?

www.deals-on-everything.co.uk

sparkimarki, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  14. Baz@rr

Baz@rr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Of course that's sound advice if making money is the main reason for the site. My own site is really just a place to write about things which make me laugh - a creative outlet, if you want to get arty about it - and from time to time bad language crops up in it. I wouldn't call it excessive, but then to some people one swear word is probably excessive.

I love the money I get from Google and the fact that the site is now able to pay its own running costs with a little bit left over, but given the choice of censoring the articles or losing AdSense revenue, I'll say goodbye to Google.

Baz@rr, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  15. sparkimarki

sparkimarki Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe the guys at Google are big Eastenders fans - maybe they confused Dot Cotton with Dot Com?

sparkimarki, Jul 4, 2005 IP