1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

After Google Update Of Jan 2013..... Is Directory Submission Dead?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Johnalex, Jan 23, 2013.

Most of the webmasters and SEOs are chatting about the latest Google updates that took place on 17 Jan 2013. I have a question ...is directory submissions dead?

Johnalex, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  2. retry

retry Active Member

Best Answers:
    For the last couple of years Directory Submission have been worth less and less. This has been "known" and heavily discussed on all web marketing forums these years. Still, it's still a topic, and we continue to discuss it.

All sites I create, which is about one a month, is submitted to directories. I honestly do not use any kind of automated tools, but try to find 10-20 quality directories, which is somewhat related to my niche, and not spammed to death.

I've always been a "fan" of link diversity, and I still think directory submission plays a small role in my overall ranking of a page.
    I have never had any major problems with the Google Updates, and belive link diversity and quality content is the reason for that.

That beeing said, I would not have my main focus on this backlink technique, not even on my Top 10 list of link techniques.

retry, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  3. nickstrech

nickstrech Member

Best Answers:
    I think you are correct I also think directories are losing their punch. I would still submit to some, but I would be far more selective.

nickstrech, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  4. I.am

I.am Peon

Best Answers:
    Is there something wrong with using directories and google's new updates?
    Since, google and many other search engines like to crawl DMOZ to find websites, why the H would they try to make directories dead?

I.am, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  5. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its not that they are trying to make directories worthless, they are simply making worthless directories worthless. A link in a good solid directory is still worth as much as a link anywhere else. The problem is finding quality directories now as most seem to be setup as spam farms and are not truly human edited to ensure quality or offer any more than a link. Back in 2005-2007 when directories really took off it was easy to find quality now you have to look for them and not submit to every tom dick and hairy directory out there. Also regarding the question being asked about the pr of a directory so much. You can get the same value from a link in a quality lower pr directory as you can from a directory with higher pr but less quality. In order for directories to be successful now a days takes so much more than simply someone putting up a directory and accepting just any links.

Quality and content is still king and will be for along time to come.

Guardian, Jan 23, 2013 IP
    Winagain likes this.
  6. doro

doro Active Member

Best Answers:
    Depends what you mean by "directory submission". Old, well established web directories will always be a great link building resource. On the other hand, submitting your website to thousands of directories to some sort of automatic script will most probably harm your site.

doro, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  7. themes4all

themes4all Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    in fact that depend about the directory link authorithy and popularity... as all for one automatic submission is just a waste of time, energy and money.. since the last updates you have to be more selective...

themes4all, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  8. Winagain

Winagain Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's a quality problem. If you find good directories, in your niche, submiting there is going to help you, both by driving traffic from the directory and a good link for google.
    Getting into hundreds of directories taht don't have any traffic will not help you much.

Winagain, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  9. Bogle

Bogle Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the tier 1 directories still carry weight -- Yahoo, BOTW and DMOZ. But I those kind of directories where you can pay someone like $15 and get submitted to 50 or 60 of them? -- those directories don't do much SEO wise I believe. Successive Google updates saw to that

Bogle, Jan 27, 2013 IP
  10. athleticlothing

athleticlothing Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Dear all after current update of Google it will hit the directories format bcz mostly all webmaster use same description. So kindly make description unique and use proper english then it will not effect.

athleticlothing, Jan 27, 2013 IP
  11. seovidya

seovidya Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi
    Am not sure about these. But directory submission is not worthy, because if you submit the link now means it will approve after three months or 4 months.
    Instant approval directory lists are good.

seovidya, Jan 27, 2013 IP
  12. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Hey guys look, another "is directory submission dead" thread...

Please do a search before posting, there are literally a doze threads by the same name here in recent months.

Mia, Jan 28, 2013 IP
  13. Swift Tony

Swift Tony Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Low quality directory submission are not really working for quite a long time now already, just remind that huge research released last year, when more than 50% were pushed out of Google index in a single night. Directories have transformed and now they are social sites like squidoo, diig, reddit and so on. Submitting your site into some outdated old directory will bring you nowhere.

Swift Tony, Jan 28, 2013 IP
  14. casachucky

casachucky Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think linking to good quality directories, that have a good PR and are established is still good for seo

casachucky, Jan 28, 2013 IP
  15. Scorpio08

Scorpio08 Peon

Best Answers:
    Work on quality sites still work. Directory submission is loosing its use as it was used in past but quality content and limited directory submission are still effective to get links.

Scorpio08, Jan 28, 2013 IP
  16. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There was a google update on Jan 17? lol

There are updates every couple months and every time people ask "are directories dead"?
    Honestly I feel the more SEO optimized the websites become and the more Google becomes filled with Ads and unrelated search results the more relevant directories become. People are starting to actually use directories to find good websites since search engine results quality (IMO) is reducing for many search terms.

Nima, Jan 31, 2013 IP
  17. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    It certainly would be encouraging if there are people utilizing directories in place of a search engine for a more refined and cleaner series of results. Lord knows almost every search I do in Google yields results that usually contain 2 dead web sites, 2 MFA web sites 2 unrelated web sites, etc., all in the first 10 results on the first results page. That's pretty terrible.

Mia, Jan 31, 2013 IP
    Nima likes this.
  18. speedyarticle

speedyarticle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From my point of view the main reason the directory links gets counted by G is because of the backlinks the directory have, To check the quality of a directory just check out the backlink profile and you can easily compare the statistics of any directory and submit your website.

By doing this you can not only be sure that it is a quality directory but it will also help in your Link building.
    But be sure to save yourself from spam methods used by many directory owners to get a fake PR and make people look mad, Muwahh.......

speedyarticle, Feb 1, 2013 IP
  19. Shahzad Ahmed

Shahzad Ahmed Member

Best Answers:
    though they are not as good as earlier, but it can be more beneficial if you create unique descriptions for each submission. I know it is difficult task but a harder thing can give maximum fruits.

Shahzad Ahmed, Feb 1, 2013 IP
  20. Johnalex

Johnalex Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Quality directories means to check and it should be:

Relevant
    High PR
    Human Edited

submit with unique anchor text "descriptive title and fresh description content".

Am i right?

Johnalex, Feb 7, 2013 IP