1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Affiliate getting outpaced by companies becoming "un-recommendable"

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by nh4sp, Feb 9, 2017.

I make tutorials that teach people how to make websites.

My target market is beginners to WordPress.

I've worked very very hard for a very long time creating an extremely in depth course on building websites.

The course has 27 videos in it...

AND THIS IS MY PROBLEM...

In addition to one of the very FEW web hosting companies I've found that's ANY GOOD becoming less and less good recently...

Today, when I went to log in to WordPress... a "site is not secure" "gizmo" shows up on the nav bar next to the site's url.

This is because the internet's mandating the ssl changeover.

My web hosting company provides free ssl certs (but using their free ones will display "funkiness" in the url bar instead of the domain name).

If I record my videos I can "hide that" with editing (but I don't want to mislead people into thinking that everything will be fine and dandy once they get their hosting account set up).

I found out the web hosting company's PAID ssl certs will show the domain name instead of the "funkiness" but that's $90 bucks a YEAR additional money to a shared hosting account.

I don't want to tell my target market that they have to get a shared hosting account and then SURPRISE... you "got ta live with this or buck up and spend $90 additional bucks to prevent the funkiness in the url which is unprofessional, from being on your site - if you go with this hosting company."

Competely at a loss for how to proceed, because I cant seem to create content faster than it becomes unrelavant (and can't create it faster than good companies become bad ones that aren't worthy of recommending).

Want to do the right thing and not mislead anyone - but at the same time I won't EVER make any money if I can't produce content faster than companies "get evil."

Please Help!

nh4sp, Feb 9, 2017 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The internet is not mandating a change to ssl, Google is. It's more idiocy from Google. No cat blog or recipe website or HTML tutorial website needs SSL. It's an asinine absurd stupid joke from Google. Nothing more. Perhaps some secure content, logins and such, should be ssl. And I say "perhaps" because unless personal information is being entered, that too is an iffy proposition. I don't use my real name or person emails to register to any site. I set up a separate email address for that stuff and do not use the same passwords all over the internet as some people do.

This has nothing to do with your web host being good or any other web host being good. It's also browsers with their scary messages if a site doesn't pay big money to a cert authority. But nothing to do with any web host.

Don't do SSL. Nobody has to. On Firefox on one of my own sites, I get the "i" icon with a message when clicking on it that the site is not secure. But it does not need to be!

I think you can go with Let's Encrypt which provides free SSL certificates if want to do SSL. Check it out.

https://letsencrypt.org/

billzo, Feb 10, 2017 IP
  3. MoneyTopList.com

MoneyTopList.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    I absolutely agree with Billzo. It is a good idea to use SSL in some cases, e. g. when you ask the users to enter the credit card number (OK, in such case it is more than a good idea, it is a must). But for a website like for example my blog, why to encrypt the data?

All the data flowing between the user's computer and the server are those which are publicly accessible on my website and anyone can see them. So there is no logical reason for the use of the SSL.

And a vast majority of the websites are like the mine. They simply contain some information which is publicly accessible.

MoneyTopList.com, Feb 10, 2017 IP