1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adwords is a war-zone.

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by n_a_nutshell@gmail.com, Oct 23, 2004.

Adwords, in some cases, has become a war-zone. A few select companies ruined it for everyone by commissioning its affiliates for leads inbound from paid searches. Hundreds of "marketers" all compete for the same keywords, advertising only a few of the same companies dozens of times for each keyword. Because of the ridiculous number of campaigns running simutaniously for these high-volume keywords, it's nearly impossible to legally maintain a decent CTR, even when matching the top bids.

These commissioned "marketers" devastate eachother by maxing out each other's budgets by generating fraudulent clicks through proxies. Google only investigates sudden spikes in traffic. Many of the marketers I've encountered run these scam campaigns as full time jobs and are able to manipulate the system methodically and indetectibly.

Why are these larger companies commissioning affiliates for traffic rather than run the campaign themselves? Either they're lazy or they know that the conversion rate isn't profitable.

If you're a smaller company in a high-volume market, don't even bother with Adwords. The best you can hope for is a double digit page placement, and if you do dare to venture into page 1 territory, you'll get F-ed in the A. Only multi-million dollar companies have the purchasing power to survive attacks from scammers, who eventually give in and focus on fresh meat.

If you're suspicious of your conversion rate, set up a redirect and log IPs. You'll be surprised.

n_a_nutshell@gmail.com, Oct 23, 2004 IP
    JEET likes this.
  2. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes adwords can be a minefield especially for the competitive keywords.
    I think the latter is true here and that is why they choose this method of promotion. For your sake I hope their capmaigns and the "Marketers" move on to another keyword/campaign.

payoutwindow, Oct 24, 2004 IP
  3. Forwhomthebelltolls

Forwhomthebelltolls Peon

Best Answers:
    It's the same everywhere. The big boys put the squeeze on and everyone else gets kicked in the face, or has to move into a new area. For some keywords/products, the big sites are the only players in town, which means the quality of competition goes down, so there's less choice for everyone.

Better start selling those hand-made, unique items that you alone have exclusive access to.

Forwhomthebelltolls, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I've noticed this more and more too.

Especially eBay ads and also Early Learning Centre seams to throw up a dozen aff links. Well annoying since it's basically duplicate content which should be filtered IMO.

I don't get it how eBay AdWords campaigns can be profitable if you don't target for registrations. CJ commission is abuot the same as PPC costs.

Anyway, I'm sure this form of AdSpam will get tackled at one point.

T0PS3O, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    At the lower-tiers, yes... eBay only pays $0.10 per bid (which is still twice as much as a minimum $0.05 AdWords click).

But I think they go for volume. At the upper tier, it pays $0.25 per bid, plus some of those bids will also become registrations ($12-$30 each).

digitalpoint, Nov 2, 2004 IP
    JEET likes this.
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I see. Well, the first campaign must be a big plunge in the deep dark depths then...

Amazon seems more profitable to me when you do it like that.

T0PS3O, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  7. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah... it's definitely not something you could test the waters with. It would need to be all or nothing. :)

digitalpoint, Nov 2, 2004 IP
    JEET likes this.
  8. Tid

Tid Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you sure it is not a trick by your competitors? I know some advertisers who manipulate some keywords and would bid too high to keep any new advertisers off their pie

Tid, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  9. phplduser

phplduser Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Big boys have a massive budget no doubt and people trying to get a little bit of a foot hold have little to no chance.

It’s a shame because the same can also be said about seo, companies with money to throw around get sites optimised for 1st or second page results, again what chance has a new site got if you have little to no budget unless your in the know.

Best Regards

phplduser, Feb 13, 2020 IP