1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adwords help and thoughts required

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by jandia, Feb 4, 2016.

I have two domain names, each setup with their own google AdWords campaign.

Both are targeting the exact same keywords and yet the keyword bidding values vary hugely for both domains. Campaign/domain 1, has the keyword for page one I am targeting at £4.82. Yes, I can achieve the front page with this value and any lower the ad fails to show. The other domain/campaign has the exact same keyword at £0.82 and at this value, the ad renders on the first page. I have paused the costly AdWords campaign and now experimenting with other domain names. When I get the targeted keyword costs lower, I will simply swap in and out the landing page domains.

I thought Google was supposed to be an honest and transparent company and that the bidding values would be the same across all markets. The UK’s HMRC tax office has to take a begging bowel to ask for tax revenues and then google dictates and decides what they are going to pay in UK tax. Its ridiculous that this company can get away with such dishonest business practices.

jandia, Feb 4, 2016 IP
  2. Fer0

Fer0 Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is a difference in Quality score for your ads, hence is the difference.

Fer0, Feb 4, 2016 IP
  3. jandia

jandia Active Member

Best Answers:
    yet the ads are exactly the same, the only difference is the domain name.

jandia, Feb 4, 2016 IP
  4. Fer0

Fer0 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your cpc is calculated when Google takes in account QS+MaxCPC+CTR rate.
    https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en
    If both domains have same content - one of them is penalized. If not, then one has better QS and lower CPC.

Fer0, Feb 4, 2016 IP
  5. jandia

jandia Active Member

Best Answers:
    I understand, what you are saying. The domains have completely different content, so you would expect one has a better QS and lower CPC. Yet when I swap the target url to the poorer QS and higher CPC, I still get the lower keyword cost.

jandia, Feb 4, 2016 IP
  6. Fer0

Fer0 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try to leave it that way. Google takes "account history" in equation when calculating QS and PPC.
    But that could destroy your good account.
    Nothing suspicious here, as far I can tell.

Fer0, Feb 4, 2016 IP
  7. Connor Harrison

Connor Harrison Member

Best Answers:
    Quality Score is the key. I am glad you are making some good money with AdSense. This lets you explore what happens further.

Connor Harrison, Feb 8, 2016 IP
  8. Lucid Web Marketing

Lucid Web Marketing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Even with the same keywords and same ads, your QS will be calculated to different values. Since CPC is based in part on QS, not surprising they would be different.

The longer answer is, QS is in large part a comparison of your CTR vs those of competitors (at same ad position). In other words, your CTR vs the historical average at that position, although in practice, they probably look at the last 1000 or 10,000 searches. Since both your CTR as well as the historical CTR are moving targets, there's no reason to expect your QS and thus CPC to be the same. One ad in one account did much better and thus better QS and lower CPC than the other. It's not the fact they are to two different domains or landing pages.

There are other variables of course, few you can control such as who and when just happened to advertise at the same time. Also, when initially creating new ads, you'll get a QS of 6. It will adjust itself as data is accumulated. If you have poor ads, they will naturally decrease in quality and you may find soon that the CPC will increase.

I find nothing suspicious or dishonest from Google's part in what you are observing.

Lucid Web Marketing, Feb 18, 2016 IP
  9. Surge Calls

Surge Calls Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Click through rate, ad relevancy, landing page relevance all contribute to Quality Score. If you want to increase your quality score and in turn your CPC bid, you must improve these three main factors. You should only have a few highly targeted keywords in one ad group since you make your ad relevant to your keyword. Make custom landing pages as well for keywords that are different from others that you are targeting.

Other factors that improve quality score that has not been mentioned is, historical performance of your account, so if your account has ads that are performing well for other keywords, ad groups and campaigns Quality score is influenced as well.

Good Luck.

Surge Calls, Feb 23, 2016 IP