1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adwords Extended Headlines Stopped Working For All My Ads

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by rnaderpo, May 11, 2016.

Hello,

So about a week ego, the extended headlines stopped working for all my ads in my. I have absolutely no idea why. I have been using extended headlines for as along as they have been available and I didn't make any changes to my ads or campaigns.

My ads are usually running on position 1 to 1.1 with CTR of 7% to 18%. I also checked all my competitors in my area and outside of my area to see if any of them are being affected by I don't see anyone else having this issue.

I have contacted Adwords support but they are as clueless as they always have been about most issues that I call about. Basically their answer is, we can't help since it is the algorithm that decides if your ads displays with extended headlines or not.

Well I am sorry that is crap. How come the algorithm just targets my ads and no one else? I even went as far as creating a whole new campaign to see if that would fix the issue but extended headlines still doesn't work even in my new campaign.

Few people in Adwords Forum suggested that it may have to be with the new beta 2 for extended headlines that Google is testing but I really don't buy it. If that was the case, wouldn't it effect other advertisers?

Does anyone know what could be the issue here? I really appreciate any suggestions.

Regards,

RN

rnaderpo, May 11, 2016 IP
  2. Lucid Web Marketing

Lucid Web Marketing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As you were told, it's the algorithm that decides what to do: whether or not to display your ad (and which one), whether or not to show any ad extension and a bunch of other things.

What you have to realize is that you and your ads don't live in a bubble that never changes. You haven't made any changes but others surely have.

So what can you do?

Well, you have to think more like Google. Why is it not showing your extended headlines?

The whole thing is set up so that Google maximizes its profits. If your ad has shown that less people click on it for a certain condition (extended headline, ad extension, etc), it just won't do it. So the onus is on you if you want a certain kind of result to make a change to try to make it happen. One thing for sure, if you don't, you'll continue getting the same results.

Now that doesn't mean that you should make a change. You may be perfectly happy (but obviously you're not). It may be that the way ads are being shown is to your advantage, that is, you are maximizing your profits. The system doesn't do that for you but you have to figure out for yourself. I had a client once insisting on everything under the sun. However, I showed that most of his ad extensions for instance were detrimental: he was making less profits because, his base ads and the extensions put together did not make sense and less people were clicking and those who were clicking were less likely to buy.

I don't know the details of your campaign but best guess is that you have competitors beating you with better quality ads. Since that translates to more profits for them, they get preference.

However, you cannot trust what you see when you search for your own ads, something I discourage by the way for a variety of reasons. You need actual data. Unfortunately, there is no data that segments for when ads are shown in the different variations.

I don't know what else to tell you without a deeper look. The trick is to figure out how to make your campaign better. Take a long, hard look at competitor ads too: would you be more likely to click them than your own ads?

Lucid Web Marketing, May 13, 2016 IP