1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adwords and ebay?How necessary?

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by TelevisionShows, Apr 15, 2008.

How much do you need adwords to succeed with ebay?

Im starting to spend about $10 a day on adwords. Im new to it. And i would love anyone who could give me a few simple pointers on how to make money off ebay with it.

Would be greatly appreciated.

TelevisionShows, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  2. manx

manx Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have found that if you use extremely targetted keywords/keyword phrases in the ads with the destination url going to the exact product, you can make a profit with ebay & adwords.

For example -- doing a "handbags" ad or even a "designer handbags" ad has not worked for me, but if I do an ad something like this:

"brand name" handbag
    Looking for "brand name" handbags?
    Huge selection at bargain prices.
    Display URL: yourdomain.com/brand-name-handbag
    Dest. URL yourdomain.com/brand-name-handbag

Then the keywords you would use would be:
    brand name handbag
    brand name handbags
    Buy brand name handbags
    bargain brand name handbags
    brandnamehandbag .com

AND, use broad, exact and phrase

Or you can take it a step deeper with
    "brand name" red handbags

BUT! Before you even decide to advertise a product that is on eBay, you should also do research on whether the thing actually sells.

To do this, login to ebay. Go to Advanced search, Enter the Keyword in the Search box, Check the box for "completed listings only" then click search.
    The results will show you All the listings in the past 2 weeks (I think) that completed. The ones with $'s in Green were "won" or sold. The ones with
    $'s in Red were NOT sold.

If the product had a lot of listings, with alot of "red" dollars -- it means the product hasn't been selling well.

NEXT! Just because a product sells on eBay -- doesn't mean people are searching Google for it! Alot of people just go directly to eBay to buy products.

So, you should use Google Adwords Traffic Estimator (although it can be very inaccurate) to check and see if the keywords (products) you are targetting are actually being used in searches.

If the product passes the above two "tests" it is recommended you start your bids at .10 cents and go no higher than .15 or .16. If you have to bid more to get impressions/clicks -- then you have a problem, because very rarely will you get an EPC (earnings per 100 clicks) from ebay higher than $20.
    If you bid higher, then you will just break even or lose money.

So, there you go -- One way to make money with eBay and Adwords.

Hope this helps :)

manx, Apr 15, 2008 IP
    Kerosene and hanji like this.
  3. TelevisionShows

TelevisionShows Guest

Best Answers:
    You are a legend.

Also should i try promote the most expensive products?

4. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Great post manx. I'm trying PPC again this year (I'm normally an organic seo kinda guy), your post has some great simple tips.

:) + rep

Kerosene, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  5. TelevisionShows

TelevisionShows Guest

Best Answers:
    Im happy with my earnings from SEO. There solid. But i want more, so im venturing in the adwords market.

6. TelevisionShows

TelevisionShows Guest

Best Answers:
    Also, i don't have a Bans store. So i just use a blogspot landing page. Is that okay?

TelevisionShows, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  7. manx

manx Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is what alot of ebay/adwords advertisers do & they seem to do well with it.

I don't always look at the sales price. I check on the availability of the product with other merchants (like Amazon), their prices and how much/fast it is selling on eBay.

If the product is in demand, and there are few others selling it, or it is priced higher elsewhere than eBay, I will test it on adwords, because many times lower priced items sell easier AND bring in more ACRU's ($25 signups).

RE: Regarding Blogger --

I don't know enough about blogger blogs to answer the question.
    Sorry.

:)

manx, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  8. TelevisionShows

TelevisionShows Guest

Best Answers:
    Can someone please help me, what do i use to sell a specific product, other than the editor kit?

TelevisionShows, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  9. mcjp6

mcjp6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you can use the link generator to go right to the a specific auction.

mcjp6, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  10. InfoSmith

InfoSmith Peon

Best Answers:
    a little trick, "brand name" handbag -complain

InfoSmith, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  11. TelevisionShows

TelevisionShows Guest

Best Answers:
    How come they won't let my put "Louis Vuitton" in my adwords add.

So how can i put brand name, all are banned by trademark.

?

TelevisionShows, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  12. sydneyaus

sydneyaus Active Member

Best Answers:
    The problem with Google adwords is that they won't allow you to use the trademarked brandnames in the ad, you need to find a way around this, Louis Vuitton handbags can be abbreviated into LV handbags which is still recognizable in the ad.

sydneyaus, Apr 18, 2008 IP
  13. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm almost embarrassed to ask these PPC n00b questions :p ...

Are we permitted to use mispellings ... "Loius Vuiton" etc?

Do our accounts get 'flagged' when we try to use trademarked names and our ads get rejected? I've already got one email from the Adwords team telling me that one of my ads broke the TOS.

Kerosene, Apr 18, 2008 IP
  14. TelevisionShows

TelevisionShows Guest

Best Answers:

lol same and i have no idea what the TOS is lol. Im a new advertiser.

TelevisionShows, Apr 18, 2008 IP
  15. squeezeplaycards

squeezeplaycards Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, if you keep your cpc down to say .10 or less you increase your odds of turning a profit. I have a campaign that doesn't get clicks everyday because of low search volume but it converts pretty darn well. Some marketers would turn their nose up at the volume this ad generates but for me as long as it converts well and is profitable I will take my money to the bank.

squeezeplaycards, Apr 18, 2008 IP
  16. manx

manx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Everyone!

First, not ALL brand names fall under Adwords trademark restrictions. There are alot of brand names you can still advertise.

The "handbag" ad was used just as an example -- ALOT of brand names of handbags are under Adwords trademark restrictions, although all of them are not. BUT, most of the brand names handbags that you can actually show in the ads require a high bid to get on the first page.

Alot of Adwords advertisers do "misspell" and some keep under the radar. But, if you get alot of "dings" from Adwords Admin, you could get your account suspended. So do so at your own risk.

If your heart is set on advertising the brand name product and it is trademark restricted -- and you want to stay within tos. Use an ad something like this with the brand name keywords:

handbags
    Looking for low cost handbags?
    Huge selection at bargain prices.
    Display URL: yourdomain.com/brand-name-handbag (use the exact brand name in your display URL--it should pass trademark restrictions -- mine have)
    Dest. URL: yourdomain.com/brand-name-handbag

Then the keywords you would use would be:
    brand name handbag
    brand name handbags
    Buy brand name handbags
    bargain brand name handbags
    brandnamehandbag .com

The restricted brand name should show in your Display URL -- and your ad comes up when people are searching for the "brand name" handbag.

Squeezeplaycards has the best idea -- .10 or less bid, not many clicks or impressions, yet have a high CTR -- Almost always you will make a profit. All you need to do is find ALOT of them (products that is, that fall into this category) That takes testing, testing, testing.

For example, I have tested over 120 products and now have 14 that are turning a profit.

manx, Apr 19, 2008 IP
  17. TelevisionShows

TelevisionShows Guest

Best Answers:
    Does it matter if the url is a blogspot landing page?

TelevisionShows, Apr 19, 2008 IP