1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adword is a waste of money for beginners.

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by edy, Apr 10, 2007.

I found that, adword is a waste of money of for beginners. I started 30 cents per keyword, on next day I had to increase the keyword bids to 40 cents bcause my keywords were out of bid and then to 70c etc, etc after seven days I ended up with giving $4.00 per keyword. :eek: :eek:

edy, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  2. butterfingers

butterfingers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Partially agree. If you know your target, it's not a waste of money.

butterfingers, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  3. pete38

pete38 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a waste of money for beginners? How are you ever going to be "experienced" at it if you don't experiment because it's a waste of money?
    Btw your bids have gone up because of low CTR. Do some split testing.

pete38, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  4. RSLegit

RSLegit Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, adwards testing is definitely good for beginners, but as far as outbidding all competitors on a wide market as soon as you start out -- not such a good idea.

RSLegit, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  5. exolis

exolis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ouch! $4 a click is madness!

It's most likely your keyword is too broad and Google doesn't think your site is as relevant to searchers' queries.

Apply some SEO techniques like putting the keyword you are bidding in the title tag of your page.

I've several keywords that require a min bid of $0.05 and still going strong. The more targeted your keyword is, the cheaper.

exolis, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  6. merchant7

merchant7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Some of the popular keywords are going to be expensive. You may be able to get better results targeting more specific keywords rather than generic ones.

For example, use "v-cut t-shirts" as oppose to just "t-shirts".

Also, you don't always need to be in the #1 position for adwords. Sometimes it is just as effective or more being in #2 or #3. Whatever gets you clicks.

Testing is required to find what works for you. Start small and then scale up once you see results. Definitely try different keywords and ad proofs.

merchant7, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  7. MasterG

MasterG Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to start last month on Adwords and it's take my money to much.

MasterG, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  8. flip

flip Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's the way I see it. You could spend $297 for one of these b.s. Clickbank books from a guru who claims he'll tell you how to get rich with AdWords. Or you could plow that same $297 into AdWords. It's a far better education than what you get from some overpriced 55 page .pdf book.

flip, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  9. vertigoflow

vertigoflow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I heard somewhere that those ebooks pretty much just try to re-write the info google has in their help section anyway.

vertigoflow, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  10. GeorgR.

GeorgR. Peon

Best Answers:
    thats why you have to do research, research, research.

After some rather dull experimenting i found SOME VERY interesting keywords with a LOT of google search activity and NO competition.

Its truly enlightening if you are on a very low budget and do a search on a pretty known brand/name on google...and your ad comes up ;) ;)

If this changes...well then i go to keyword tool again and do more research. There is no result from NOTHING.

All my KW have almost NO competition....and just search for KW with pretty good search activity and no competition.

The other stuff (good landing pages etc.) still apply of course.

GeorgR., Apr 10, 2007 IP
  11. GeorgR.

GeorgR. Peon

Best Answers:
    it takes some time getting the hang of it. it DOES take work..it needs research, time and patience. But its till NOT rocket-science.

$297 for a book which explains the basics and gives some tips which you can get everywhere (google tutorials/videos), DP forum etc. ??? Very funny.

The basics, explaing Quality Score, give the standard rant about good landing pages and site design, how to use keywordtool etc..etc..i can (and many other did) write that on one/two pages.

GeorgR., Apr 10, 2007 IP
  12. V - Saqib

V - Saqib Peon

Best Answers:
    If you spend $$$ range your bound to loose out, if your looking to get a good deal back from google adwords you need to invest in $$,$$$ range. It doesn’t work out for smaller budget campaigns often because other business decide click on your ads. :S. Lame but true.

V - Saqib, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  13. Handsdown

Handsdown Active Member

Best Answers:

Where do you find these keyword tools?

Handsdown, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  14. ninjashoes

ninjashoes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that its usless for begginers with a small budget. Its not designed for that though.

ninjashoes, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  15. GeorgR.

GeorgR. Peon

Best Answers:
    the GOOGLE keyword tool on the google adword page in your adwords account ;)

As well as you can download an offline Google adword editor and edit ads offline.

http://www.google.com/adwordseditor/

All the 3rd party tools/software i saw for now are....uhmm....worthless...or you can do the same with the google tools.

GeorgR., Apr 10, 2007 IP
  16. GeorgR.

GeorgR. Peon

Best Answers:
    edy.well..what about RICH beginners ? ;) I mean $$$ can buy you a lot... If i had the $$$ i sure could do a lot with ...

Now imagine the sense of using adwords as an amazon affiliate wher you only get a small percentage of each sale anyway....even better ;)

GeorgR., Apr 10, 2007 IP
  17. Handsdown

Handsdown Active Member

Best Answers:
    How about tools that will generate keyword ideas for you. I am not the best at selecting keywords, I have heard of certain people post about keywords that are less popular and very effective.

Handsdown, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  18. W-Shadow

W-Shadow Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, yes and no. I'm a beginner, too (started in the beginning of March) and my first month ended with an unpleasant loss of ~$250. Hovewer, if all goes well, I might break even this month and possibly even get back most of what I lost in March. I think if you stick with it, it can be done. Probably :eek:

W-Shadow, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  19. j3awss

j3awss Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe just promote your website for the generic search first then supplement with ad words. With the generic search you are guaranteed to be in there for a while. With Adwords you stop and traffic also stops. my 2 cents

j3awss, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  20. V - Saqib

V - Saqib Peon

Best Answers:
    To all the people that are saying $4 a click is high, Well your totally wrong. Ive seen people go as high as $8-10 a click. Im chatting from real stories not my arse.

V - Saqib, Apr 10, 2007 IP