1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Advice required regarding updating movie site from IMDB/Amazon/Wikipedia

Discussion in 'Programming' started by NAZAM.COM, Sep 6, 2005.

I run a UK movie site which I've been updating manually for five years. Is becoming a real pain to keep the content fresh as I have to write it all myself. No fun.

I've been looking at various sites that allow you to pull their data legally and the options that have been suggested to me are IMDb, Amazon's movie/DVD reviews and Wikipedia. If anybody knows of any others related to movies, that would be great!

I can't see any fresh content on the latter, but there is some decent stuff on Amazon and IMDb.

Does anybody know of any easy-to-use scripts to be able to replicate info. from IMDb? I've looked, but all the IMDb scripts are technical. As for Amazon, there are some fantastic web services scripts, a couple of which I've successfully used. But is there any way of configuring them so that I just add some code after my own DVD reviews and it shows the reviews of the same DVD from Amazon.co.uk?

Any advice would be welcome! Thanks :)

NAZAM.COM, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  2. trevize

trevize Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you have the UPC of the DVD available, you can tie it together using that.

trevize, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  3. NAZAM.COM

NAZAM.COM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. What's the UPC? Is it used on Amazon.co.uk and IMDB?

Is there a script to do what I'd like?

NAZAM.COM, Sep 18, 2005 IP
  4. trevize

trevize Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is the Universal Product Code. Amazon definitely uses it, I'm not sure about IMDB. There are probably scripts out there to query the Amazon API and save the data in a database.

trevize, Sep 18, 2005 IP