1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Advice regarding transfer of website from hostgator to godaddy

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by crystak, Jul 10, 2011.

Yes, I know godaddy hosting is the worst and I'll come across all sorts of problems but I've sold a website and the buyer is using godaddy shared hosting *sigh* .

The website is currently on my hostgator dedicated server with its own cPanel account and is about 11GB in size so downloading it and re-uploading it on my computer isn't really an option.

What would you suggest? Apart from the reputation for bad hosting, I don't know much about what services godaddy offers. Would they offer to help with the transfer?

crystak, Jul 10, 2011 IP
  2. globegenius

globegenius Active Member

Best Answers:
    Update the name servers for the domain name. HOSTNHUB has the same deal. Free hosting for the domain name bought. You can have 90 free sub domains hosted free also. Same as Godaddy. I have done many domain transfers with no problem at all. You sold the website I gather. Not free hosting for it. Buyers responsibility.

globegenius, Jul 10, 2011 IP
  3. alex_e

alex_e Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    well, id the site is on a dedicated server, why on earth would godaddy allow it on a shared hosting account?

alex_e, Jul 11, 2011 IP
  4. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What kind of site?

If dynamic kind of site then GD will be not a good option as their system is always timeout.

mentos, Jul 11, 2011 IP
  5. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure how a shared hosting account got to 11GB in size either, but I would certainly check GoDaddy's Terms of Service and make sure nothing on that account is violating them. 11GB is pretty darn big for a shared account.

WSWD, Jul 11, 2011 IP
  6. crystak

crystak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When the site required a dedicated server it was at 20k uniques daily, now it's down to 800 uniques with average CPU% usage at <2% and ~2% memory so I'm sure it's appropriate for a shared hosting package.
    Also, my bad, the site is only 5GB. 6GB are the stats in the /tmp folder which I didn't remember about until the other day.

Now, back to my original question which is.. does GoDaddy offer a transfer service? I couldn't find anything on the website.

Thanks in advance!

The website is wordpress with a coopermine gallery so it should be ok, right?

crystak, Jul 12, 2011 IP
  7. alex_e

alex_e Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Im pretty sure godaddy doesnt, but other hosts do.

alex_e, Jul 12, 2011 IP
  8. globegenius

globegenius Active Member

Best Answers:
    They must have a transfer system because HOSTNHUB does and I resell for them (Godaddy) If both customers have an account a domain "push" can be done. You just change the registration. Costs nothing.

To do a transfer from one registrar to another, the person receiving the domain buys a transfer at the registrar of their choice. Then you will receive an email asking for the domain to be released. You will need to unlock it if you have domain lock on. You will also need the domain name registration number if you do not have it.

Usually takes about 3 days on an automatic domain transfer. If you know where to place the codes in your control panel, I have done transfers in as little as a few hours. HOSTNHUB has domain transfer info right on the front page if you want to read more. We use Wildwest SRS.

globegenius, Jul 13, 2011 IP
  9. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    He isn't talking about changing the registrar. He is talking about their hosting.

WSWD, Jul 13, 2011 IP