1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Advice on free data storage solutions in case of failure

Discussion in 'General Business' started by usernamestring, Jul 6, 2016.

Hi All,

This will be my first go at starting a business and it can go either way. I think I might fail but after waiting for so long I just want to do it and see how it goes, maybe I will learn something

I have recently come up with a business idea where my product involves storage of boolean values on the internet which can be retrieved by the device once connected to wifi/internet. This is so it can constantly update the device state by altering a setting on a phone app which is also connected to the internet. For this I would need to have a website or some kind of simple data storage online.

Do you guys know of any free websites for such commercial use? If I sell this product and in case my business fails I don't want to be paying a subscription for a website however I will still want my customers to be able to use what they bought. So any ideas how I can do this and have a safety plan? I wouldn't really know what to do other than refund them for the product but I am worried about getting into legal trouble.

There are of course some websites that allow you to do this for free but don't allow commercial use as part of their terms and conditions.

Thanks.

usernamestring, Jul 6, 2016 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    If your business plan has been thought through (and written down) you should be able to justify proper hosting. Mostly it's charged on a monthly basis.
    You are only obliged to maintain your hosting account for as long as people have paid for - up to a year, I'm guessing. People who are paid in advance usually have an account that sales go into and then month my month the funds are moved into the regular cashflow - that way they always have the funds on hand should they have to refund.

sarahk, Jul 6, 2016 IP
  3. usernamestring

usernamestring Peon

Best Answers:
    To be honest I can only justify it if I keep selling products. I don't want to introduce my product with an additional subscription fee, I accounted for that in the product price.

e.g. you buy an iPhone and apple gives you some icloud storage for free. You can obviously pay to increase the cloud storage but this is not needed with my product.

I can set up my own server and pay my ISP for a static IP but I move places frequently and it adds up to the startup cost for which I don't have funds at the moment.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    usernamestring, Jul 6, 2016 IP
  4. manasa rayavarapu

manasa rayavarapu Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have used nokpage for Data Storage which gives unlimited storage for free.may be it will be useful for your cloud Storage.
    www.nokpage.com

manasa rayavarapu, Jul 14, 2016 IP
  5. gummyworms

gummyworms Active Member

Best Answers:
    cant you have dropbox api do this? Your boolean values can be in a text file right? Just access it by your app?

There are several other optionss for you
    1. sendtomycloud dot com lets others upload, but they cost $10 / month
    2. ampercent dot com /dropbox-uploader-allow-users-upload-files-dropbox-account/ lets you do it with their code

I would rather use the method where you write your own code

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    gummyworms, Jul 30, 2016 IP