1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Advice needed on redirecting links from an established site to a new one

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Colin Kennedy, Jul 29, 2016.

If you could have a great site link back to your website how would you do it
    Hi everyone, a bit about me. I'm a pipeline td for a VFX company (basically a glorified IT position).

When I was studying this in college, I created two websites, one is a personal website, and the other is my student website.

For my coding assignments in school, I used software to automatically generate html for my code for all my assignments. It worked great EXCEPT I made a really big mistake. When I did all this, I unknowingly gave the professors website tons of dead links. Because his website is well established and has great page authority, those dead links rank higher than my actual website on Google when you search for me! What a disaster!

Thankfully, I messaged the teacher and he told me I can resubmit all my old files and he'll update the web-server. So I now have a really cool opportunity.
    If I do this right, I can resubmit my schoolwork to his website, a website that has excellent age and page authority and juice links, and link from those student pages back to my portfolio site!

Here's what I was thinking of doing to maximize this opportunity. Please let me know if this is off-base or if there's anything I can do to improve my idea:
    (Preface: I use Wordpress for my personal site)
    1. Create a new wordpress website locally and just test to make sure the documentation links all work
    2. Install Yoast plug-ins on my WP website and make sure all pages rank well for SEO
    3. Add any additional metadata to make sure Google entries for these pages will look good
    4. Link from my student page on my teacher's website to my personal website basically any way I possibly can that isn't spamming
    5. Get a SEO boost!

Thank you for any help or guidance you can give

Colin Kennedy, Jul 29, 2016 IP
  2. John Charlin

John Charlin Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to redirect your domain with 301 redirection.
    Add following code at the beginning of .htaccess -

RewriteEngine On

# Redirect Entire Site to New Domain
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^olddomain.com$ [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^another.olddomain.com$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://newdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

John Charlin, Jul 30, 2016 IP
  3. Colin Kennedy

Colin Kennedy Member

Best Answers:
    I would but this is my teacher's website, not mine. My student pages are just a subset of his and his other students. Because of that, I don't have access to his .htaccess. That's why I'm treating this more like backlinks, not like a redirect. Also, many of the pages that I built for his class don't exist on my personal site (I keep a pretty big separation between my professional work and student work). That said though, the pages do have some cross-over and that's what I was thinking of linking back to.

Colin Kennedy, Jul 30, 2016 IP
  4. Furquan Ahmed

Furquan Ahmed Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just make sure your teacher put your new website link/links from your student page of his/her site.

Furquan Ahmed, Jul 30, 2016 IP
  5. Colin Kennedy

Colin Kennedy Member

Best Answers:
    I mean yes, I made it clear that I plan to do that in my first post. I'm asking my question because I'm sure that there's more that I can do but I just don't know because I'm new to SEO. And I only have this one opportunity to resubmit since I've graduated already. I want to do it right. That said, if you or anyone else has concrete strategies I can employ to use this, I would be grateful!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  6. Colin Kennedy

Colin Kennedy Member

Best Answers:
    Edit: Whoops, messed up this post