1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Advice needed. Is it a good/bad idea?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by aplus, Jan 16, 2017.

Hi,

I am sure this is a silly question to lots of you, but I would really like you thoughts on this.

I am a web developer with a lot of experience in the web technologies. I want to explore my options for the future so I am thinking to maybe create a content site (niche not decided yet) and earn from ads and affiliates. I want to hire a writter, and maybe publish couple of articles per week.

I know this was easier to do maybe 10 years ago but I never tried it back then. Could this still be profitable or is it a bad idea?

aplus, Jan 16, 2017 IP
  2. Anthony Benson

Anthony Benson Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's a good idea.

Anthony Benson, Jan 16, 2017 IP
  3. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, it's still feasible. I would recommend keeping your niche fairly small/targeted. Broad niches are difficult to get into today, but there's still plenty room left in the smaller ones.

For example...rather than a generic Health & Fitness blog....you would instead create one targeting treadmills alone - reviewing them, product comparisons, price checks, etc. That's also where the money is.

GTAce, Jan 17, 2017 IP
  4. Milliardo

Milliardo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Even today it is still a good idea. I do see people still look for writers for their sites or blogs. It would help to know your audience and target first. That would make it easier to make blog posts or else write content that would cater to them.

Milliardo, Jan 17, 2017 IP
  5. aplus

aplus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks you all for your answers.
    The niche is bitcoin/cryptocurrenies/tor. I find this area fascinating because it has the potential for great changes in the society. But I am not an expert, still learning the basics.

It is a probably too broad topic like GTAce mentioned so maybe I will specialize in security. I am not sure how popular this topic is. Any idea how/what to measure it?

For start, I am planning to publish 3-4 quality articles (400 - 1000) words per week.
    Is it realistic to see a profit of maybe $1/day from ads after the first month? I want to see results to keep me motivated.

aplus, Jan 17, 2017 IP
  6. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    It's realistic, but nothing is warranted. Some days you'll think you're wasting your time.

I am curious, you said you're a "web developer with a lot of experience in the web technologies" yet you want to settle for a few bucks from something you may not be completely interested in. Why? Are there no jobs in your niche available?

qwikad.com, Jan 17, 2017 IP
  7. aplus

aplus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are plenty of jobs and good money. But I want to test myself in something new, create something, prove that it works and try to scale it up.

aplus, Jan 17, 2017 IP
  8. Milliardo

Milliardo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Looks good. Nice that you are willing to take the risk. Hopefully that would do well.

Milliardo, Jan 18, 2017 IP
  9. rht999999

rht999999 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its not always too late to start something, just need to start. Having a lot of information about web technologies, you'll catch up things quickly. You won't face any problem , as most of problems belong to technical end which is your strong end. I wish you all the best and If you need to ask anything, Its your community - Any Question, Any Time.

rht999999, Jan 18, 2017 IP
  10. suraj72

suraj72 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes it is still best idea actually many webmasters doing this.

suraj72, Jan 22, 2017 IP
  11. Nata_nata

Nata_nata Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The idea itself is great. The niche ..... hmm .... are you sure you can monetize this type of traffic? What affiliate offers are you considering?

Nata_nata, Jan 22, 2017 IP
  12. Spartan14

Spartan14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its a good ideea but dont expect to make money fast .Those who want to succed in affiliate marketing must choose a niche ,create frecvent content on their blog or site and became an autority on the niche .If you think you have patience and you are able to create fresh and good content at least twice per week on your blog then sure its a good idea

Spartan14, Feb 3, 2017 IP
  13. robinymym

robinymym Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds interesting.. go for it ^^

robinymym, Feb 6, 2017 IP
  14. gracekkk

gracekkk Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    it is still useful

gracekkk, Feb 6, 2017 IP
  15. David Jones42

David Jones42 Member

Best Answers:
    affiliate marketing is one of the best till to date.

David Jones42, Feb 7, 2017 IP
  16. Anitasol

Anitasol Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, how can you monetize your website supposing you pursue this niche?

Nevertheless, good luck. :)

Anitasol, Feb 7, 2017 IP
  17. GITSolution

GITSolution Active Member

Best Answers:
    looking for increasing traffic for my website. affiliates through. will you help ?

GITSolution, Dec 21, 2017 IP
  18. HostService

HostService Member

Best Answers:
    I would recommend you to better explore the niche until you hire the writer and create a site, so you can better understand the main principles and opportunities of this area. Perhaps while learning something new about cryptocurrencies you will find a better way of making money :)

HostService, Dec 22, 2017 IP
  19. jcquek

jcquek Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hard to determine whether the ideas are good and bad as they can be good at one time but bad in another. Assume you possess the right passion and capable to reach out to customers but uncertain the product attractiveness. Take some time to perform a product-market test before you go into larger commitments.

jcquek, Feb 24, 2018 IP
  20. Ant-Lion

Ant-Lion Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I second this. If programing is something you have a passion for and experience with then it is an ideal niche. If you have the knowledge to write about yourself you can save some money on a writer.

Ant-Lion, Feb 25, 2018 IP