1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Advice about setting up a Windows Server 2016 environment and roles

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by ServerEnthusiast, May 10, 2017.

I am planning to buy a few Intel mini PCs in order to setup a Windows Server 2016 environment. I am doing this for fun and learning purposes - server administration and technical support interest me, even though I no longer work in that field. It is my goal to simulate faults and etc. in order to learn more about server administration and technical support - I know it would probably be better to get a good PC and setup a few VMs on it but I don't like the feel of VMs that much and would prefer to have physical cores. I am looking for advice on how exactly to setup my environment. The roles I wish to install are:

Active Directory Certificate Services
    Active Directory Domain Services
    Active Directory Federation Services
    Application Server
    Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Server
    DNS Server
    File Services
    Network Policy and Access Services (I plan to have 1 core/PC function as a router and the rest be behind it on a separate network)
    Remote Desktop Services
    Web Server (IIS)
    Windows Server Update Services

maybe Windows Deployment Services - depending on whether the PCs have Pre-boot Execution Environment (PXE) boot ROMs

I know it's a best practice to have each core/domain controller with only one role, but I think I can allow the DNS and DHCP to function together, for example, I believe they wouldn't bother each-other right?

What would you say?

ServerEnthusiast, May 10, 2017 IP