1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Advertising Coop possible enhancements

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by t2dman, Nov 29, 2004.

More and more like Google adsense, but without the cost and we get PR and link text value...
    • I keep seeing my advert on my own site, bit of a waste of resource...
    • There will come a time when there are certain ads I don't want showing up on my site - should be able to exclude like on Google adsense.
    Could be programmed into the ads_network.php via php_self and exclusion list, or could be programmed into the control panel so that you only send ads not on the list - you only send ads that are not on the list.

Thanks.

t2dman, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  2. LinkBliss

LinkBliss Peon

Best Answers:
    I like both of your points very much as I thought of the same things while setting it up today. I bring about 2k impressions per day into the network.

One other item - I would like the ability to change the color of the text for the bare text links, err I suppose I can do that with css.

Eric

LinkBliss, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  3. ssl

ssl Guest

Best Answers:
    I think that the excluding your own ads from your sites is a good idea. the second suggestion I would see being highly problematic to implement and most likely not probable. excluding ads from sites would effectively mean lowering the weight of the advertiser's account and would have to be recalculated in order to compensate for the loss. on the other hand, what could be done is lower the publisher's weight if he/she chooses to exclude certain ads based on the new weight pool. in either case, I think that this would pose some major obstacles.

ssl, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah, it's been discussed before and the tricky part is lowering your weight accordingly if you choose to not display certain ads.

digitalpoint, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  5. Arnica

Arnica Peon

Best Answers:
    As well as the additional processing overheads that exclusions would bring there is also the side effect that the network could effectively become one big reciprocal link exchange as members would likely select on theme. This would undoubtedly put off new members and stifle the growth of the network.

At present nobody knows what impact the network will have on SERPs as it grows but everything I heard so far is positive (I've had some strange - positive leaps for keywords only promoted on the network). I'm a firm believer in 'don't fix it until it's broke' and at the minute the ad network is far from broke.

Mick

Arnica, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  6. maha

maha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Eric,

How do you know how many impressions you bring into the network? What's the formula for calculating that?

maha, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  7. kaptain

kaptain Peon

Best Answers:
    i think being able to exclude links to yourself would be a good idea and would have a positive effect on the links.

kaptain, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  8. t2dman

t2dman Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't understand the "lowering your weight" argument - you would still show the same number of ads, just not certain ones, like competitors etc. You could exclude up to x number of ads, and not change the integrity of the co-op. Since the co-op is based on weighting, and random ads are distributed, the counter is currently incremented every time someones ad is given out for a website to show. If an ad is not distributed to a website, the counter obviously doesn't increment in that instance.

Excluding advertising your own site, would increase the number of times your ad was shown on other websites when the distribution is done from the server end.

I mean, any one of us could amend the script to still show the normal number, but exclude certain ads via the php script - But this would be rather unfair, as the ads would not then be redistributed for showing on other websites.

A natural follow on once the network gets big enough, is the ability to seek more of your own countries ads, and for each website to pick a theme of ads they prefer to show, and for websites to select a theme for their sites. Again, there is no effect to the weighting, as the same number of ads are being shown on each website.

t2dman, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The weight of a user is based on the weight of the network as a whole. For sake of argument, let's say there are 1,000 sites and your site chooses to not display ads from 500 of those sites. Only half of the members have any value for you to be in the network. If you calculate what percentage of the total network weight of the users you are not displaying ads for, that would be the same percentage your weight would need to be lowered. If you aren't showing ads for users that make up 50% of the total network weight, your weight would need to be lowered by 50%.

digitalpoint, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  10. t2dman

t2dman Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry Shawn, there is another perspective...

total weight of the network = 1000 sites 1 page each, 1 ad each = 1000 links

At any one time, each of those thousand sites are showing another sites ad.

If I choose not to show one ad (my own ad or a competitors etc), and instead show another sites ad. If that ad is then shown by another member of the co-op, there are still 1000 ads being shown. So redistribution at your server end, means no-one misses out and the weighting of the co-op remains unchanged.

If based on random distribution, my own ad is picked for my site, for that moment, the network has no value for me. If I instead showed another ad, my ad would then be available to another site, and I would get benefit.

We are only talking about firstly our own ads, then say competitors ads, or ads any member may consider undesirable for their website - this number is not likely to be that large to be any significant number. 5 ads out of thousands, 20 ads out of thousands, then those ads are redistributed onto other sites so they get shown their weighting of times...

The concept can be applied to themes and countries. If there are not sufficient ads for a theme or country then others are slotted in. Again, no-one misses out, as the ads not shown on a particular site are redistributed onto other sites.

This concept is a natural progression of a fantastic system. This network is going to get HUGE.

t2dman, Nov 30, 2004 IP
  11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It doesn't work mathematically when you start blocking certain ads from your site without affecting your own weight.

Just as an example, I'll make it extreme. Let's say 50% of the sites blocked ads for one user. That user is displaying everyone's ads, yet his ads only show up on 50% of the sites and he gets 50% impressions than he should if people weren't blocking his ads.

My previous example where you take a proportional percentage of your weight away would just be for even math. If you block ads that comprise 20% of the total network weight, then your weight should go down by 20%. In reality, it probably would be more like take the 20% away and give it to the users that are having the ads blocked so they get more impressions on the sites that DO show their ads. Essentially meaning you get a little less impressions on all the sites and they get a little more since they only show up on specific sites. That's really what would need to happen to equalize it.

digitalpoint, Nov 30, 2004 IP
  12. t2dman

t2dman Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn - you have found the logic to my argument in the second part of your post...

Lets rephrase it slightly.

So how would the mathematics of dishing out ads work? I have a weight of 10,000, my random number comes up to have my ad placed in a websites cache of available links, but my website is on their exclusion list, so my 10,000 stays at 10,000 rather than decrementing to 9,999. My random number come up for another website who allows my ad, my number decrements to 9,999. This logic is no different from how 'random' works. Random says my link is shown on a page or not. An exclusion also says not. Both 'random' and 'exclusion' allow for my link to be placed on the next available webpage.

t2dman, Nov 30, 2004 IP
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's not a rotation though... it's random. In theory your ad could be served up 50 times in a row (although mathematically not probable).

So really what would happen would a random ad would be picked. If it was on your exclusion list, then a new totally random ad would be picked. And repeated until one came up that wasn't on the exclusion list.

14. t2dman

t2dman Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds great to me. Just the slightly extra overhead of checking against the exclusions etc.

Thanks for your patience Shawn.

t2dman, Nov 30, 2004 IP
  15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well definitely not even going to think about it until the new servers are in. The "slightly" extra overhead works out to a lot just to check if you *have* any exclusions even with a single extra SQL query. 10,000 sites in the ad network (which isn't a stretch with it's current growth), each getting a new ad every 15 minutes works out to more than 11 extra queries per second just to check to see if you have any exclusions.