1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adsense TOS question

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by Help Desk, Jun 23, 2004.

As I've been told it is against Google's Terms of service to say, please click on an ad. Is there any way to promote the ads that is in line with Adsense's Terms of service AND ethical?

Help Desk, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Doubtful... you can't ask users to click on the ads, or even hint at it.

digitalpoint, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  3. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    You could say "please support our sponsors" and then argue that Google doesn't sponsor you page or site.

But I really don't think there is any need to encourage people. Pretty well everyone know what these ads are and that they are an invitation to click through. If they are interested they will click on them.

compar, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  4. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was thinking of "Hey, you like what I have to offer? If so please pay attention to my ad box?". The intention isn't to guilt them into clicking. It is to get them to look at the ad box and they can decide for themselves if they want to click in it.

If this is against Google's terms I would rather keep my Adsense lower than risking having them yank it all together. I'm not trying to deceive... just encourage. As I see it, it is no different than using flashy changing colors. However what I'm afraid of is Google not seeing it the same way.

Help Desk, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I would say that would be asking for people to click. Ultimately Google is the judge though... if you think it might be a violation, simply email them, they are good about getting back quickly.

digitalpoint, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  6. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    "Incentives
    Web pages may not include incentives of any kind for users to click on ads. This includes encouraging users to click on the ads or to visit the advertisers' sites as well as labeling the ads with text other than "sponsored links" or "advertisements."

I'd be pretty willing to bet that anything other than the two things mentioned above would probably be something google wouldn't be too happy with. :)

disgust, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  7. Joel Naten

Joel Naten Guest

Best Answers:
    I would suggest avoiding talking about it. I found people will click on them. Just worry about driving traffic to your site, and keeping people interested while they are there. If they're there long enough, they'll notice the ads. Once you get a lot of traffic, keep in mind that Google offers channels. Try placing the ads in different locations on different pages and use the channels to discover what gets people to click on the ads.

Joel Naten, Jun 26, 2004 IP