1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

AdSense Per Click Payout Based On Natural Rankings

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by digitalpoint, Nov 9, 2004.

1. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is what you are saying DP is that say a meso site that ranks way down in the 100's would payout less for adsense than say a top 3 site? That would make sense to me. If you searched Meso and your site came up first, it would be in G's best interest to pay the most to the site who posted the highest and would most likely have the most visitors.

NewComputer, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As I said... it's not fact, only speculation. But in my little sampling that's exactly what it seems like. And of course that wouldn't be the only factor in determining the payout, just one of many.

digitalpoint, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  3. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Well now just rank higher for that keyword and let us know if your pay per click goes up as well. :D

What if the keyword AdSense is showing for is "Warcraft" and you don't rank anywhere near the top for that one keyphrase but you rank well for "World of Warcraft?" The advertisers are paying for the keyword "Warcraft" not "World of Warcraft."

Such Great Heights, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  4. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    The theory is consistent with what I see, and it makes sense :)

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  5. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    I guess to me I had always assumed this is what it was, hence my (and many others) strong determination to attain top postings and having adsense on my sites. I will definitely monitor it more closely. I do have one 'anomoly' and that is my virus protection page. It does not rank well, but any traffic that goes and that clicks on the ads there seems to pay large dividends per my channels. It is too difficult for me to try to attain top postings for that page, but every once in a while there is a nice surprise when someone clicks there (***THIS IS NOT A SOLICITATION TO CLICK ON MY VIRUS PAGE OR ANY PAGES ADSENSE, I WILL TRACK IP'S, SO PLEASE DO NOT DO IT. THANK YOU FOR RESPECTING MY REQUEST****)

NewComputer, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  6. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Forgive me, but I dont see how this would enhance things for google.

Why would they care where an ad was clicked from? A click is a click - assuming only that its a legitimate click - why would they care what the ranking of the page is?

joeychgo, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  7. hurricane_sh

hurricane_sh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very interesting observation, it makes good sense from publishers' part. But if think from adwords' point of view, Google should show the highest bids, that's how Adwords works, and also what advertisers want. It makes no sense for Google to show lower bids.

Another explanation would be that Google pay different CPC to different publishers.

hurricane_sh, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  8. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    Highest targetted traffic = most clicks (likely) which equates to the most money.

NewComputer, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  9. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    but its not like the ads only appear on 1 site - they appear on many at the same time. Its the click that matters - not where it came from.

joeychgo, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  10. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    NC pretty much said it, but think of it from the advertisers perspective.

Let's say you're buying ad space from Google and you are paying the most money for your ads to be shown for a certain keyword. Wouldn't you want you ads shown on the most relevant pages to the keyword you are paying for? This would mean the most relevant page for the keyword you're paying for would be the page your ads show up on.

I mean which would you rather see;
    1) Your ads showing up some kids blog who mentions they just bought a new "Canon Digital Camera" and since his AdSense is directly under his post it shows ads for Canon Digital Camera Deals, but the rest of this persons blog is about Star Wars?
    OR
    2) Have your ads showing up on a digital camera review site on a page specifically about the latest and greatest Canon Digital Camera that ranks #1 for the search phrase "Canon Digital Camera?"

If I was the highest paying advertiser I'd want choice 2. :D

And if Google could make sure that scenario 2 happened to me more than scenario 1 I'd stick with Google.

AdSense brought in something like 48% of their total revenue so they want more advertisers. And by placing the highest paying advertisers in the best spots (ie. like having the back cover of a magazine be your ad) you attract the biggest advertisers and more people want to advertise with you [Google].
    -----------------
    more
    If you just want traffic than the click is all that matters.

But if you want well target traffic then it does matter.

And well targeted traffic meaning people who are searching for Canon Digital Cameras or Digital Camera Deals, or Camera Deals.

The page doing the advertising will get a lot more sales from 50 people who are looking for what they sell, rather than 100 people who are looking for something completely different to buy. Or even a 1000 people who aren't looking to buy anything, but happen to stumble onto their page. The 50 well target people will give out a higher conversion rate. Almost always.
    :cool:

Such Great Heights, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  11. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    Only addition I would make SGH is that I would really only want my ads displaying where traffic was going to turn into $$$$. Personal blogs I am not sure are the most appropriate place to have adsense ads displayed. I mean, most of us do it, but I try to maintain my blog as a business and tech blog.

I would not want to find out my canon digital camera (which are great by the way) ad was being displayed and potentially clicked on by a kids friend from his blog.

This is still in its 'infancy' and certain strategies and ideas will be worked out as it continues to grow and prosper.

12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Ads are not ordered solely by the bid price. The CTR on an individual ad is factored in as well. If someone bids $10 per click, but never gets any clicks because his ad sucks, Google will display the ad that bids $0.25 per click and gets a lot of clicks more than the one with no clicks.

digitalpoint, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  13. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    I disagree. The click matters, for us publishers, but as for an advertiser you want your ad getting seen by the most relevant eyes out there. Again, some clicks from a kids blog are not the same as some clicks from tech review page as SGH said. Better chance for conversion and more likely to pay MORE for future use and then bigger returns to us advertisers who are promoting their ads.

14. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    I think we are on the same page. :)
    I would want my ads displaying on the tech review site rather than a random blog as well. But I don't think, as an AdWords advertiser, you have a choice whether or not your ads show on someone's blog or a tech review site. They are both considered part of the "content network" so I don't think advertisers have much of a choice. This is where Google comes in to place the higher paid ads on more relevant sites displaying AdSense. Or so this theory goes. :)

Such Great Heights, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  15. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    Shawn,

Just curious where that information may be from? Would that mean they take into consideration the type of content you are writing for your ads (or images created) as well as price?

16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Indirectly they take it into account. A poorly written ad or a image that does not make people click on it will ultimately end up with a lower CTR than ads that are better crafted. So Google does not site down and directly decide which ads are "better" ads... they simply let the market figure it out on it's own.

17. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I was under the impression that this only applied to the ads found in the google SERP's.

Not the adsense publisher sites.

Is that wrong then?

SEbasic, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  18. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    One way to check this theory is to find a keyword two DPers rank for. One high and one low. Stick AdSense on there and see the earnings. If they're not the same but the ads are the same and we are one step closer.

T0PS3O, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  19. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I haven't seen them state either way in regards to AdSense, but I don't see why it would be any different. Why would Google want to put up ads that ultimately they don't make any money on?

20. mudnik

mudnik Peon

Best Answers:
    Let me give an example..

5 bidders for keyword xxx
    $5, $4, $3, $2 and $1.

Google checks the score of all its publishers for the keyword xxx.
    Those with higher score would be given the $5 and $4 ads...and so on.

It could be a way for them to distribute out the ads. However, the algo would not be so straight forward as it has to take into account all the adwords and all the publishers and then decide what ads to show...1 way is to decide what keywords each page score highest for and then use the above allocation method..

mudnik, Nov 10, 2004 IP