1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adsense Oppps!

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by wondweing, Dec 12, 2004.

I think I have made a boo boo!!!

I don't need any "WHY" or "YOU IDIOT" comments, just advice on what to do NOW. I know I screwed up, but it was a mistake.

While setting up several new sites that I recently bought I clicked some of the ads myself. In short, I was gathering up ads that I didn't want to display and adding them into the "bad URL list" in my Adsense control panel. I THOUGHT I was working in a "sandbox" mode but I think that is not true now.

So, now what should I do? Just go on and ignore it or should I email Google support and ask / tell them about this?

My biggest concern is that I will loose my account.....

I'm sure that I am such a small fish in the sea they don't notice it but they are pretty smart and will notice it.

Thanks for the help!

wondweing, Dec 12, 2004 IP
  2. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How many clicks are we talking?

Infiniterb, Dec 12, 2004 IP
  3. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    you can request google to ignore all clicks coming from your IP.

melfan, Dec 12, 2004 IP
  4. wondweing

wondweing Peon

Best Answers:
    How many clicks? Not sure, but I sould GUESS around 35 or so in about 1 week time frame (I currently get alot of clicks so 35 is like a small amount). Maybe not even that many but I would rather guess HIGH in a situation such as this.

5. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't be too worried about it. If you ARE extremely worried about it, you can contact them and explain your situation. 35 clicks would be a lot from 1 IP in a small time frame (say 24 hours) and in succession. Since it was spread over a week, I'm sure it may fly under the radar, or at worse, the clicks get invalidated.

Infiniterb, Dec 12, 2004 IP
  6. wondweing

wondweing Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, thanks for the suggestions...

Person 1 says "tell them"
    Person 2 says "let it go"

:confused:

7. oziii

oziii Peon

Best Answers:
    when i first started up we had a similar incident - someone I knew thought they were helping me out by clicking a number of ads - we got a warning from Google and then explained to them what happened and had the clicks removed.

These days I would preemptively email them if I suspected anything like that as its too risky otherwise.

oziii, Dec 12, 2004 IP
  8. claypage

claypage Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't click my own ads, but I do use my search function. Sometimes after a search, I do click the ads because it was relevant to what I was looking for. I'm not doing it to earn revenue or anything, I'm just looking for information. Is that okay?

claypage, Dec 12, 2004 IP
  9. oziii

oziii Peon

Best Answers:
    be very careful claypage. I wouldn't do this because they will be tracking your IP address.

If you want to find relevant information and click on ads out of genuine interest do it on someone else page or from google.com

Its not worth the risk

oziii, Dec 12, 2004 IP
  10. wondweing

wondweing Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

I think I will shoot Google an email and tattle on myself. I guess its better safe than sorry and if I get banned, thats the price for my stupidity. :eek:

11. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    That sums it up. Google will apreciate your honesty and will find some kind of solution for your error.

So, once again we say

DO NOT CLICK ON YOUR OWN ADS!!!

It doesn't matter what reason you have to do it, just DON'T DO IT!

I know it is a mistake we all do when we get started with the program. I was lucky enough to receive a warning email from Google after clicking on some of my ads. I now stay away from them as if they were some kind of deadly virus.

But it seems that they are a bit tougher now and sometimes they don't bother sending the warning and you just wake up and find your account closed.

fryman, Dec 12, 2004 IP
  12. claypage

claypage Peon

Best Answers:
    So they track everyone's IPs? That's quite a bit of tracking. Is that documented anywhere that they do that, or is it just a common belief. I just don't recall reading that anywhere on a google site, but I could be wrong. If anyone could point me to where that's written, I'd be interested in reading it.

I really don't want to be cut from their program. I'm just curious about a few things, such as how they know what's really MY IP address. The internet fascinates me. It always has.

Thanks,
    Matt

claypage, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  13. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    fryman, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  14. darksat

darksat Guest

Best Answers:
    Check and see if you have a dynamic, IP, if you do you will be fine.

darksat, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  15. claypage

claypage Peon

Best Answers:
    I have cable internet, so my IP stays the same. I'm honestly not that worried though. It's not like I'm searching 24/7. I only search when I'm looking something up. I've been doing this since I started in October, and they haven't said anything yet, so it must not be that bad. Of course, if they cut me, I'll let you all know. (And you'll be encouraged to say "I told you so!")

:)

Matt

claypage, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  16. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i heard that its to do more with IP addresses...and regional IP's..and browser footprints...No of page views... click ratio....and cookies.......and possibly feedback from the advertisers RE: conversions etc....

so if you change your browser, ip address...move house etc ...between clicks...you will be ok ;)

I dont let anyone in the office use this pc for surfing...unless i am pretty
    sure they wont be on my site

if you are really finding it that necessary (because they are irresistable) to click on your adsense...maybe you should try mousing over it...then TYPING THE URL IN MANUALLY

Solicitors Mortgages, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  17. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Your IP would only change a tiny bit, Google would find out in 5 seconds what you are up to.

fryman, Dec 13, 2004 IP