1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

adsense on "type b" affiliate sites?

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by disgust, Jul 27, 2004.

hm, here's my situation-

I run a content/hobby site. I applied for adsense, got in, and that's great.

recently, though, I've started making some "pure affiliate" type sites to make money- I'm wondering, am I allowed to stick adsense ads on those pages? in the TOS it does say something about pages with "excessive advertising" but is that what they meant, exactly?

if I were to put them on a pure affiliate page, and they object to it- does that mean my whole account gets terminated, or do they just email me and ask me to remove it?

disgust, Jul 27, 2004 IP
  2. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    That won't be a problem. "Excessive" advertising refers to additional advertising being shown.

Even a "pure" affiliation page is sort of unique as it is under your control and design - so offering widgets from company A on your page for which you get % and showing ad's is not a problem (it may not be advisable from a business perspective as showing ad's may dilute your message, but that is your problem)

M

expat, Jul 27, 2004 IP
  3. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    thanks for the answer

I'm still curious, though, if you have adsense on a page/site that google dislikes, do they cancel your account, or do they ask you to just remove it from that page?

disgust, Jul 27, 2004 IP
  4. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    G native and ADS are two kettle of fish.

As long as you have some decent content be it affilate driven or else and don't plaster advertising all over it it's fine.
    If a potential visitor may get something out of it.....

If your pages don't position well... well who is going to see them and click on ADS?

To give you an example
    http://www.departures-arrivals.com/uk-airport-information.htm?airport=LGW&category=BUS

is a classic affilate page showing sponsors under my control and ADS no issue
    M

expat, Jul 27, 2004 IP
  5. eCommando

eCommando Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google did send me an email before that affiliate links on the page are okay.

eCommando, Jul 28, 2004 IP
  6. Joel Naten

Joel Naten Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah, it seems to suggest from their TOS that you can run other ads as long as it's not like those parked pages. There needs to be some meaningful text on the page other than ads. For instance a review of a product would be meaningful text.

Joel Naten, Jul 28, 2004 IP
  7. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm still curious, though- if I stick it on a page that seems okay to me, but that google ends up objecting to, do I lose my adsense account? or do they just ask me to remove it from those pages?

disgust, Jul 28, 2004 IP
  8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Unless you are doing something really malicious (like clicking your own ads) you aren't going to loose your AdSense account. I also doubt Google is inspecting each individual page that AdSense is on... unless maybe it's REALLY high traffic (like over a million views per day).

If it makes you feel any better, I run AdSense on ccapplication.com, which is an affiliate type site.

digitalpoint, Jul 28, 2004 IP
  9. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    That is either the third or fourth time you have asked the question. I would guess that nobody knows for sure.

But don't be so paranoid. Do what you think is right, and quit worrying so excessively about Google. They aren't God. Hell they aren't even George Bush.

compar, Jul 28, 2004 IP
  10. caroline

caroline Peon

Best Answers:
    It says in the TOS that limited affiliate links are allowed.

caroline, Sep 4, 2004 IP