1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adsense on a consumer site.

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by schlottke, Oct 19, 2004.

I have two sites that sell specific products in their industry. One is baseball equipment, the other is wrestling equipment. Now, there are aspects of this each does not cover (weight training, dieting, etc)

Does anyone have insight, or have used adsense on sites like this, and blocked out direct competition? I feel that with 2000 - 3000 unique visitors per day, its a waste of ad space by not having something there when our advertisers (summer camps, training facilities) are not advertising.

Any input is appreciated.

schlottke, Oct 19, 2004 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I look at it this way:

They might be competition but consider this...

I assume they mainly find you through search engines. You probably use AdWords as well. You spend time on SEO and SEM and you know your stats. Now you can calculate your 'customer acquisition' and 'visitor acquisition' cost. Now you know what each visitor cost you to get there in the first place. Also what each paying customer cost you on average. Yuo can now quickly see the number of people leaving your site without earning you any dollars. They got to your site via SE's and will probably wander off back to the SE's and start tjeir search all over again.

You might as well face it. If your site didn't provide what they were looking for then you either change your site or you might as well implement a revenue generating exit channel with AdSense. Even when it includes competitors. Now you earn money from leaving visitors who else would have gone to waste. I think in some cases it even ads to the customer experience and they might think better of your site because they eventually found whatever they were after through yours. That's why I think AdSense Search is so good. They will go back to Google or Yahoo etc anyway so you might as well provide that search box and convert those leaving customers into money. Even if only 4 cents a click.

It might be against instinctive principles but you might as well monetize on the situation. Yuo spent time, effort and money to get the traffic. You can get money out of them. They will find your competitors anyway because the ads are the same as on the SERPs.

T0PS3O, Oct 20, 2004 IP