1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adsense not worth it

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by wozzaofrare, Aug 18, 2006.

1. billyzelsnack

billyzelsnack Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no reason to not show the url. It's not like someone is going to steal your 30k view/day "niche" that works like crap with adsense.

billyzelsnack, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  2. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Me no understandy English gooder but me makey more money than youey with Adsense 'coz me no big dummy that can't convert on ginormous traffic! Hee hee me soooo stooopid!

jackburton2006, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  3. wozzaofrare

wozzaofrare Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for the feedback everyone

my URL is available via my profile (I didn't post it originally because it might of been considered spam) but here it is anyway: rare-extreme.com

I think the main problem is CTR

I guess I might just stick it out with personal advertising contracts

wozzaofrare, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  4. LongHaul

LongHaul Peon

Best Answers:
    The site looks really good, but I'd say the placement and blending need help. For another thing, your site is packed with great stuff, lots of internal links, why click an ad that will take you somewhere else? :)

But there is a blue border around the ad that sets it apart maybe too much. And I clicked a few pages, and had to *look* for the ads, and I'm not even interested in game cheats! Have you tried the right column, or top of the left, or an AdSense banner across the top? Or a box on the left side of the main column, near the top?

For one thing I think that shade of blue, if you must use a border for the ads, is too different, too unique on the page.

But clearly you have a great resource to work with, I think you could make a killing with AdSense if you experiment on a few pages and track what works.

LongHaul, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  5. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Besides the blending as suggested by LongHaul, use section targetting to improve the relevance of ads

infonote, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  6. wozzaofrare

Best Answers:
    thanks for the detailed feedback, I will step things up a notch with using adsense.

Why blend the ads in though? don't you want readers to know thats Google Advertising?

The other problem is that I don't want to ruin my website by destroying the design with adverts. Its a very effective layout and readers don't like to see adverts everywhere. We've got a very strong reputation with Microsoft and other industry officials and we don't want to seem like "sell outs" by placing annoying adverts in prime locations. Thats why I have the ads on the side.

Or am I on the wrong track thinking that Adsense is something that brings down a web design?

wozzaofrare, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  7. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wow! 4 click from 30,000 page impressions really is disasterous. Is your ad placement really bad or some other optimization issue with your site?

qwestcommunications, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  8. L146705

L146705 Peon

Best Answers:
    you need to review your ad placement, stick it in the reviews section on here

L146705, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  9. MarcP

MarcP Guest

Best Answers:
    Maybe you want to have a look at the Adsense heat map. It shows places on a website which usually have a good CTR (nevertheless, site depending). Potentially it gives you some hints on the placement, where you do not endanger your other goals.

MarcP, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  10. 3dPrinting

3dPrinting Peon

Best Answers:
    The answer is placing a 468x60 banner at top of center column. Your viewers are not scolling down because everything is above your adsense ads.

3dPrinting, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  11. SeanMck

SeanMck Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, when I first visited your website one of the things I noticed is that I could not see any ads above the fold (On a 1024x768 resolution). Also the only ad I could see is that ad on the right side, usually ads in navigations get low CTR.

Ad a 468x60 Banner at the top of your body/content area.

SeanMck, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  12. Dead_Elvis

Dead_Elvis Guest

Best Answers:
    Yep, you have to be a lot more aggressive than that if you want to make money off of AdSense.

That said, I personally make lot more by directly selling ads than by only getting paid when someone clicks through.

Personally I'd suggest adding something like AdBrite as well, since you can set the price, and plenty of people would love to buy links on a site that gets that kind of traffic.

People talk a lot of smack about AdBrite, but they've sure worked for me.

Dead_Elvis, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  13. emil2k

emil2k Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think aggresive is exactly a necessity just be a little clever... ;)

Here is my suggestions...
    -First of all in the menu on the left stick one of these...
    [​IMG]
    Make sure to match the fonts to the adsense and the asense to the fonts and place it as the second segment above miscellaneous.
    -Second that image you got on the homepage float it to the right and on the left at the top put on of these...
    [​IMG]
    No border and match colors, it will look just like a title for the paragraph, super CTR, and if you ever start getting CPM ads replace it with the 468px wide one, bigger font, better CTR.
    -Then to not comprimise the initial page design but still monetize possibly on people who hit from SEs scroll down the page and choose to leave, place one of these floated to the right on a paragraph bellow the fold...
    [​IMG]

That should give you some good CTR with out really noticible ads.

BTW: Most of your impressions probably come from that forum and first of all forum's relatively have low CTRs but your ad placement is horrible on that forum, trying putting leaderboards after the first and last post on each page, and also place a link box 728 px and 4 ads in a light colored background tr right under the title tr in the threads...

I guarantee results ; ) cause you probably can't get any lower then 4 clicks on 30,000 impressions, Good Luck

Emil

emil2k, Aug 20, 2006 IP
  14. jason_l

jason_l Peon

Best Answers:
    wow - you certainly should get better CTR then that. I am totaly new to adsense, and only added it to a new site on a whim to help cover the costs. The site went up this week, added adsense wednesday night. Here's my results:

Date Page impressions Clicks Page CTR Page eCPM [?] Earnings
    Wednesday, August 16, 2006 69 2 2.90% $9.76 $0.67
    Thursday, August 17, 2006 58 3 5.17% $41.50 $2.41
    Friday, August 18, 2006 124 11 8.87% $76.66 $9.51
    Saturday, August 19, 2006 199 16 8.04% $45.62 $9.08

Too bad all my traffic is driven by my own adwords campaign :( . If I didn't have to buy my traffic, this would have been a nice little money maker. Hopefully it gets indexed by google soon. I am pleasantly happy with the results though - I wish my content ads on the google network did as good as those on my site! I obviously have to explore this niche some more though!

jason_l, Aug 20, 2006 IP
  15. chachacallis

chachacallis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it all depends on the type of site you have may be the niche you are in doesnt work well with adsense.

chachacallis, Aug 20, 2006 IP
  16. wozzaofrare

Best Answers:
    well today I got 14 clicks but only $1.70 ??

How does the alternative URL thing work?

when I followed one suggestion in this link which was to have it point to ebay.... it doesn't load any ebay google ads but instead trys to load the actual ebay website itself inside the frame of the advert.

how do you filter junk adverts?

thanks all for your help

wozzaofrare, Aug 20, 2006 IP
  17. Monty

Monty Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are talking about this kind of aternate URL it's only permit to display an image if there is no targeted ads to display.

About ad filtering, have a look here.

Monty, Aug 20, 2006 IP
  18. wozzaofrare

Best Answers:
    thanks but what do you do then if you have a page full of content but no related google ads are displayed?

I have a number of pages that are full of rich content but nothing comes up from the google ads

Why can't Google find a related advert to display?

wozzaofrare, Aug 20, 2006 IP
  19. Monty

Monty Peon

Best Answers:
    Sound strange to me cause Google is quite good at displaying targeted ads for many different kind of content.

What type of content are you talking about, any sample ?

Monty, Aug 20, 2006 IP
  20. Dead_Elvis

Dead_Elvis Guest

Best Answers:
    Are you using Section Targeting?

Dead_Elvis, Aug 20, 2006 IP