1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adsense Google Search on forums

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Fishing Forum, Sep 18, 2004.

Adsense Google Search on forums - just wondering if anyone has tried Adsense Google Search on your forums , I use VB and it has search in the software

So I m going to give it a go at the bottom of the threads page

Anyone have any feedback on using Adsense Google Search on forums or ideas

Fishing Forum, Sep 18, 2004 IP
  2. paradox

paradox Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use adwords on my forums and have placed them in essentially the same spot that you have your adwords - in the header. I do not have a second display at the footer. Nice forums BTW.

I have found a steady rate of return from the adwords but a lower click thru rate than my other sites. This is probably because of the increased impressions which are usual to a forums web site.

paradox, Sep 18, 2004 IP
  3. Fishing Forum

Fishing Forum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Adsense Google Search on forums

Yes mine are very low compared to other site I have plus as the ads served up are very poor cents per click - I only put them on to cover the cost of the hosting plus the links they serve up are relevent and can help others find what they are looking for

Adsense Google Search has been added so I will see what come from that over a two week period and let you know if its any good

Fishing Forum, Sep 18, 2004 IP
  4. paradox

paradox Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks - that would be interesting to know if the search feature brings back some returns for you.

paradox, Sep 18, 2004 IP
  5. caroline

caroline Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't had much luck with Adsense Search. Hope you do better!

caroline, Sep 18, 2004 IP
  6. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm, I wonder if you could edit the search templates and place the google search function in there instead. Sounds to me like it may violate the google adsense TOS, though.

Infiniterb, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  7. nriweb

nriweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    why do u think having a google search in the forums is against the TOS?

I tried putting a search box just above every topic ... that had a better click thru than putting search on the top of the page. Its like when someone has any doubt or just wants to do a quick search he tends to use the search box ... a better way wud have been to have 2-3 boxes prefilled with tentative keywords and one empty ... but i guess thats against the TOS...

One more thing that you all can try to come up with your own toolbar and have your adsense search code used in the toolbar gogle search ... and have other site specific features in the toolbar.. so regular and loyal users can download and use that ...

nriweb, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  8. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Talking about violating TOS, I think that this

is a violation of TOS :rolleyes:

Ajeet, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  9. nriweb

nriweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i just edited the post to remove that line .. just to play safe .. but again i thought one should not disclose the total earnings ... i dont think saying that the pay per click is very less .. around this many cents is any violation... that way one can just start a free adwords account and he gets to know all about how much a keyword bid is around and how much the highest bidder is paying for a specific keyword ... :)

nriweb, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  10. Fishing Forum

Best Answers:
    Adsense Google Search on forums - well just to let you know that it was very poor ( its not in the best location)

Just seems adsense and forums do not mix with very low returns which might just be my experience

Fishing Forum, Oct 10, 2004 IP
  11. Infiniterb

Best Answers:
    Did you try to replace the search template (or modify it) in VB so when people attempt site specific sites, they can search google and have the option of your site or the entire web? I think by blending it in you would be better off then throwing out a google search box on the bottom of your site.

Most forums are VB, so most people that visit will tend to use the site search function. May want to try that.

Infiniterb, Oct 12, 2004 IP
  12. Fishing Forum

Best Answers:
    Yes - I have thought of removing the VB search link and replacing it with the google search - which would be an easy job

But the results will only be what google has indexed so will not be a complete search of the site

I will have a think of whether to give it a go

Fishing Forum, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  13. Infiniterb

Best Answers:
    Google has been good about indexing all of the posts at my site (I run a vbAdvanced portal with vB3).

Infiniterb, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  14. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like Google's search much more than what is incorporated on sites. Most searches on bulletins simply looks for a keyword and returns the posts that match in descending date order.

Google uses its algorithm to return the most relevant. I think that is usually worth losing a day or two of content especially since it can be another source of revenue. Ideally, it would be great if you could choose your search engine just by clicking a check box. However it is against Google's TOS to programmatically submit searches and it is also against its terms to place AdSense ads on search results pages.

Help Desk, Oct 13, 2004 IP