1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

AdSense For Search - Would this break the TOS?

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by anotherchancetosee, May 10, 2005.

I've examined the AdSense TOS closely, but I can't see anything that would prohibit me from doing this....

Although I've not gone live with my test code yet, I'd like to place specially crafted buttons on my page that would modify the values of the fields of the Goodle AdSense For Search box and "submit" the Form with a single click.

I'm certainly not artificially clicking any ads, all I'm doing is populating and submitting the search form to help my readers find certain things on my site more easily. Anyone see any problem with that? :confused:

document.forms[0].elements[1].value='douglas adams mp3';document.forms[0].elements[4].checked=true;document.forms[0].submit();
    I've already got the basic idea working in testing, but do "prohibited clicks" include clicks on the Submit button of the Search form?

anotherchancetosee, May 10, 2005 IP
  2. Nate

Nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like something they wouldn't like. You have to email them to get a real answer though...

Nate, May 10, 2005 IP
  3. stephfoster

stephfoster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think you're allowed to prepopulate the search box

stephfoster, May 10, 2005 IP
  4. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    You are not allowed to edit/modify adsense code in anyway shape or form is how they word it IIRC.

noppid, May 10, 2005 IP
  5. paymentapprovaltooslow

paymentapprovaltooslow Banned

Best Answers:
    NOpe don't edit the code. Google gets very angry when people do that and you can get kicked out.

paymentapprovaltooslow, May 10, 2005 IP
  6. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't risk it. Although your best bet is not to ask questions here, instead email Google. They won't give you wrong awnsers ;)

Josh

Josh, May 10, 2005 IP
  7. cindos

cindos Peon

Best Answers:
    It looks like ehow.com is doing something similar to what you're suggesting. They have a related links section which looks like it pulls up the adsense for search. If you get down to an actual article page you'll notice the links on the right hand side.

cindos, May 10, 2005 IP
  8. anotherchancetosee

anotherchancetosee Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't intend to edit their code. My code would be entirely independent and would populate their form using the W3C DOM, essentially simulating the user typing in a search term and pressing submit.

I've emailed Google about it and await their response.

I think everyone is right that they won't like it, but it seems such an obvious thing to do there's no harm in asking.

anotherchancetosee, May 11, 2005 IP
  9. anotherchancetosee

anotherchancetosee Guest

Best Answers:
    Well they've clearly modified the code block and applied a style to the Search button and checked their domain radio box by default, all things I'd LIKE to do but clearly not allowed..

10. paymentapprovaltooslow

paymentapprovaltooslow Banned

Best Answers:

Editing the code is a big no-no. Read the TOS.

paymentapprovaltooslow, May 11, 2005 IP
  11. anotherchancetosee

anotherchancetosee Guest

Best Answers:
    I KNOW! I've read the TOS over and over. I'm not looking to modify ANY code, I've asked Google whether its permissable to write MY OWN independent code that populates their <form> field values and simulate a "click" on the search button. All trivial DOM programming.

I suspect their answer will be no, but all I'm suggesting here is creating appropriate search terms for the users, to save them the trouble. Getting ad clicks is not an issue here.

If Google comes back with "no", then I can setup links to ORDINARY "site:" searches anyway. I'd rather do it with my Ads on (better for me, better for the advertisers surely), but if they don't want me to, then so be it.

12. lonecrow

lonecrow Peon

Best Answers:
    anotherchancetosee:
    If I understand what your doing correctly, I think you'll probably get a positive answer from google. Essentailly it's not very different from an auto-complete feature.

[google search box]

"Click to search for: x"
    "Click to search for: y"
    Etc etc

Your not touching their code, I assume your Google search is visible on the page so All your doing is saving the visitor from having to type the word in themselves. Your not pre-poulating it, your providing a convinence to your visitors.

I'd like to now what they say please post their answer when you get it.

lonecrow, May 15, 2005 IP
  13. TheSyndicate

TheSyndicate Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    does it not say you can not force them in to another page as well? Did they answer you? Sometimes they do not when it comes to this kind of things. But please tell us when you know.

TheSyndicate, Mar 5, 2006 IP
  14. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    That would be a violation under the ToS

According to that, each query must originate from manual entry by a person, so automatically populating the search would be a violation. At least that's how I understand it.

Crusader, Mar 5, 2006 IP
  15. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Crusader. You are risking them banning you for tampering with their code. Your best bet would be to contact them and inform them of your idea and let them decide if they would allow this or even add it as a feature to their code. I would not tamper with the code at all.

TheNetCode, Mar 5, 2006 IP