1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adsense error??

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by obenix, Feb 9, 2005.

I was just visiting one of my sites homepage and noticed a strange Adsense ad. The setting was for a 468x60 banner and there are usually 2 ads contained within that space.... One ad was alright but the other had all the question marks as in ????,????
    I wouldn't mind posting up a screen capture but am worried that it may be against G's TOS? If it's not, please let me know & I'll post the screen capture.
    Anyone else encountering such a problem?

obenix, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  2. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    I too have seen this and more than a few times. Also, yesterday for a short period of time everything in the adsense ad was written in a foreign language. [I'm in Arizona/Server in Texas].

ResaleBroker, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  3. Chrissicom

Chrissicom Guest

Best Answers:
    I noticed an error on a 120x240 ad a few minutes ago, where a skyscraper ad (160x600) was displayed

Chrissicom, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  4. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    RE
    "... One ad was alright but the other had all the question marks as in ????,????"

THAT happens if the advertiser uses for example CHINESE char set for his ads or any foreign charsets NOT contained in YOUR desktop/browser config

i had exactly that - reported it to Google and had a Chinese advertiser for which my own charset config was missing but the ad was displayed correctly in original browsers configured for that language

:))) !!

hans, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  5. Chrissicom

Chrissicom Guest

Best Answers:
    I actually see chinese ads when I look at my site through the yahoo.com cache, but what has that to do with chinese?? I use UTF-8 Unicode on my site.

6. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Chinese MOST likely do NOT use utf-8 for their charset ...
    me too i have utf-8 but only ??? for chinese ads
    many asian languages often use - like cyrillic as well - different local charsets NON-utf-8

the chinese readers will see it correctly - they have correct settings on their PC / browsers

hans, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  7. Liminal

Liminal Peon

Best Answers:
    did you try contacting google re: ????

Liminal, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  8. Chrissicom

Chrissicom Guest

Best Answers:
    well but the weird thing is that I am from Germany and when I check the Google cache I see my page with chinese ads properly displayed. Does the Yahoo! Slurp spider come from a Chinese Server?

9. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    for my ??? case i contacted G and we had a few back and forth emails until all was cleared
    the fineal result is / was :
    the ads were correct - the only reason why i had ????? they have been in chinese char set - addressed clearly to chinese customers on my pages and thus correct all the way except that my own browser was NOT configured to properly display such charater sets such as
    新年好 ( happy new year ) in NON-utf-8 charset configuration. for all chinese customers these ads were totally correctly displayed in their traditional browser settings.

i had no further reason to act since i agree to have NO chinese charsettings on my desktop and no knowledge of chinese language as well - but of course bidders / adword customers are free to advertise wherever they please to pay / ad on ...

hans, Feb 9, 2005 IP