1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adsense destroying the Internet?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by ainmohd, Jun 9, 2006.

"I bring it up only because I occasionally entertain the thought that Google has, in fact, destroyed the Internet. Well, not the physical Internet, mind you. Just the whole "looking for data" part of it that's key to Google's (alleged) information-based mission. The part that's held the key (so far) to its financial success.

Any of you try searching lately? Notice the astounding lack of quality across the board, even at revamped competitors like Yahoo! (Nasdaq: YHOO) and IAC/InterActiveCorp's (Nasdaq: IACI) Ask.com? I feel your pain. I, too, have spent hours stuck in the revolving door of link farms, splogs, and scraper sites. These sites look like they contain content, but when you see the results page, often it's not there (because of tricks like keyword stuffing and cloaking). If it is there, it's often recycled material from other providers, compiled by an automated process.

The jokers who create these sites have one goal: Trying to get you to click on a Google AdSense link.

Of course, such sites run contrary to Google's terms of service, but that hasn't stopped zillions of them from popping up. In fact, a search on "adsense ready web site" will give you a glimpse of the often-sleazy, bigger-than-a-cottage, scraper-site industry that's sprung up to try to capitalize on the phenomenon."

More at http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/2006/commentary06060927.htm

Anybody anything to comment?

Thank you.

ainmohd, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  2. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    it is true that lot of MFA site existed. However, Adsense give many ppl motivation to create unique content that is new to the internet.

there must be ways for google to clean up those MFA site from their index, give them sometime....

ahkip, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  3. Sara

Sara Guest

Best Answers:
    I have been searching on the internet for the past 17 years. The _only_ time I ever come across MFA sites is when I'm referred to them from within DP.

It depends on your own interests, I guess. I simply never come across MFA sites in the areas in which I am most interested (books, maps, history, humanities, arts, antiques). So it most certainly hasn't ruined the internet for me. They are so far beneath my radar it isn't funny. MFA sites, I am guessing, tend to congregate in a very narrow spectrum of human interest.

Sara, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  4. ainmohd

ainmohd Peon

Best Answers:
    Sara,

Possibly because books, maps, history, humanities, arts are not the favourite subjects among makers of MFA sites because of low-priced Adsense ads being served at such sites.

Antiques do attract the high-priced ones.

ainmohd, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  5. alemcherry

alemcherry Guest

Best Answers:
    I guess google serach engine is doing a good job not ranking MFAs higher in search results. I havent seen practically anytthing in top 10 results. But yes, they do exist and all of them contain adsense. Adsense team needs to be a lot stricter with them. In fact I really feel that google doesnt care much about the sites they approve for adsense.

alemcherry, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  6. Bezzen

Bezzen Peon

Best Answers:
    I too don't have a problem with the MFA sites. I don't think I've ever come across one when using a search engine.

I guess I'm just so damn good at searching properly. ;)

Bezzen, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  7. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    on the contrary, i think adsense has helped in the internet explosion. adsense helps fund many a website which would not have existed otherwise.

[EDIT]
    wow, look who's got 'AdsenseForDummies' in their signature... :D

daboss, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  8. MediaHustler

MediaHustler Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ya never came across an MFA site thru search but what you can come across will be things like

You search: Tips on Google Adsense

And you get: BY GREG BENSONS BOOK ON THE 46 SECRETS OF ADSENSE TODAY, OH YA BABY!!

I hate eBooks.

MediaHustler, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  9. alemcherry

alemcherry Guest

Best Answers:
    Well... :D :D :D

alemcherry, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  10. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    It's definitely not Adsense that is destroying the internet. The problem is the webmasters and people out there who want to make a quick buck and create MFA sites without any real value.

My credo is to create a site that is a) useful and b) provides value and unique content. If you create a site with your visitors in mind then you are on the right track.

Adsense is funding loads of sites with innovative and good ideas. Without Adsense I'm sure that a large quantity of very good sites wouldn't be online today. As with everything in life Adsense can be used for good and for bad... it just depends on the webmaster and their goals.

Crusader, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  11. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    First thing - You have two registered trademarks in your domain name - adsensefordummies.com - "adsense" and "for dummies"

"For dummies" is a registered trademark of Wiley Publishing, Inc.

sachin410, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  12. ainmohd

ainmohd Peon

Best Answers:
    sachin410,
    You are right about adsensefordummies.com.
    Without realising its implication, I had bought it fairly expensive from an auction.

ainmohd, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  13. agnivo007

agnivo007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Quite true and the jagger algo update took care of it. BTW, the big daddy update will take care of the rest i t be near future.

Perhaps, as google runs the ad network, they are more interested to clean up the organic search results of the scraper and MFA sites so that adsense remains a clean business and advertisers have faith in the system. Else why did they bother to update their algo's so often ?? Does yahoo and msn update their SE algos as often as the big G ???

agnivo007, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  14. EvcRo

EvcRo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Money aren't evil by definition, they are a stairway from the hell to heaven (according to the greatest Romanian philosoph :) ) so i also think Adsens isn't evil.

Running some directories ive saw so many junk sites with only the click fraud in mind (because i also think that making sites only for the 1st screen who is full of adsense is fraud) but also , at least, a good portion of the adsense cash is going in to positive sites.

Going to the bottom i must reach the conclusion that adsense is a very good thing for the internet : many sites, mfa dies quick in forgotenes, web providers make cash, buy more equipment, electronics manufacturers get richer, invest mor ein research to stay ahead and ... world evolves.

EvcRo, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  15. NewToAllThis

NewToAllThis Peon

Best Answers:
    I use google's search and I do notice a proliferation of MFA sites. It angers me when I try to look up medical information and I get a MFA site with worthless information on it. Why is it listed on the first page of the results? I think Google should filter these sites out. It can't be that difficult but I guess money is Google's bottom line, not quality search results.

NewToAllThis, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  16. antithesis_98

antithesis_98 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am certain Adsense has ngeative effects but not nearly enough to be described the way you have.

antithesis_98, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  17. webviz

webviz Peon

Best Answers:
    I think other wise. Google is helping the internet. :)

webviz, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  18. mike323

mike323 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe South Park will do an episode on Adsense like they did on WalMart. :)

mike323, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  19. ainmohd

ainmohd Peon

Best Answers:
    Dear all,

For all the postings, thank you.

ainmohd, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  20. khin007

khin007 Banned

Best Answers: