1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adsense banning only low-end publishers?

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by spdude, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Critters

Critters Guest

Best Answers:
    You know what I think about sites that are new and have ads same goes for old sites that have very low traffic. I give reasons why putting ads on them is bad, and why it could get you kicked from the program. I am researching it more and will be doing a write up on it sometime soon.

Critters, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  2. alang

alang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So does them have any chance in the future to re-apply for adsense? Lets say that somebody else bought the domain, and this guy/girl can make the site better than the previous owner...

alang, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  3. Critters

Critters Guest

Best Answers:
    I think the adSense account is based on the business name / address and bank details, not the domain name. If someone did buy it, they could tell google about it and all should be OK.

Critters, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  4. Hoang

Hoang Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, I think in this case, "non-perfomers" means getting low-page impression , not getting low-money on Google.
    If your site gets like some 20-99 impression a day, why should you use Adsense instead of going to your Mom and ask for some money.
    I have the average of 8000 - 10000 impression per day, and making like $1 - $2 / day , so you think I'm going be banned?
    No way

I think the reason he got banned from Google, is from the Invalid Clicks, or maybe his site has no content at all.

I know a lot of people who has like $ .50 - $ 1 per day, but they've never got kicked out, since they have really good content, and never try to cheat on Google.

Hoang, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  5. alang

alang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    google just implement this rules, so we won't know who had being kickout. Maybe they are making assessment on each account right now

alang, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  6. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    Sorry, would need to disagree completely. 8000 - 10000 impressions a day with only $1-2 in earnings is very poor performance. You have the same the chances of getting banned as this guy.

His site is a three year old forum.. with a couple of thousand members and more page impressions than 10,000/day for sure. I trust the friend, and believe him when he says there weren't any invalid clicks. IMO it was just a random targetting of a low-end publisher (low-end meaning, high impressions and not enough earnings in this case).

Forums perform bad across the board. The purpose of bringing this up as mentioned previously is to show that the "invalid clicks" e-mail is only sent to people who don't perform well... the reality of whether there actually were invalid clicks or not is not looked into in the case of poor performers.

spdude, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  7. tlainevool

tlainevool Guest

Best Answers:
    I think Google is busy enough chasing down real click frauders without needing to ban random publishers.

tlainevool, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  8. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the red - which ever coward sent it and didn't dare sign it.
    Whoever it was, go back and re-read my post - get a f'in dictionary if you don't understand it.
    What I posted wasn't the same as IB's post.
    Suspended doesnot equal banned, you can normally recover from a suspension - recovering from a ban is far more difficult. I only know of one person whose account was suspended - pending some investigation or other, after the investigation their account was un-suspended and they could carry on using it. I know a couple of people who have been banned, none of them have ever been able to re-open an account.

jlawrence, Jul 25, 2005 IP
    exam likes this.
  9. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Good call. Lot's of people don't know the difference between suspended/banned and use them interchangingly w/o thinking about it. Also, if you get an account banned, you can create a new legal entity to open a new account with.

exam, Jul 25, 2005 IP
    jlawrence likes this.
  10. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Well that is good to know. I never looked at it that way. Though I don´t think I am doing anything to bring down the guillotine, I always thought once banned, you are forever cut out of the party.

e10, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  11. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope, once banned you're forbidden (or might as well be) from 'owning' another adsense account.
    That doesn't mean that you can't manage one on behalf of another company though - ie another legal entity.
    Being suspended is a different thing entirely - your account still exists if you're suspended, you just can't do much with it. The person I know of that got suspended was even told by G - don't take adsense off your sites until the investigation is complete.

12. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    My problem with your position on this is it is completely illogical. I imagine there are 10s of thousands of adsense sites with less traffic than your friend. Yet you claim they are just randomly kicking low performers out of the program, without really any reason or explanation why they would do that, or to what benefit doing it would get them.

It is not like your friend being in the program is causing them undue harm unless he is doing something wrong.

So if you are going to continue with this line of thinking at least try to provide a reasonable explanation why Google might want to actually do what you are suggesting and what benefit they would gain by doing it.

Their system is fairly automated, so your friends site is not costing them any significant resources to keep in the system. It makes no sense to kick him out for the reasons you claim.

aeiouy, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  13. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that what spdude is saying is that G send out the 'illegal clicks' email often regardless of the reason why an account was banned.
    The benefit they gain by doing this is actually quite easy to understand (sort of).
    As we know they have 100;s, 1000's, 1000,000's of adsense accounts. By dropping a few of them for 'invalid clicks' they can say 'hey we are doing something about it - we've banned xxxx accounts'.
    It doesn't hurt G overly, and it makes it look like they are doing something about what probably in the grand scheme of their income is actually a small problem - probably less than the credit card fraud problem.
    I don't subscribe to the idea that massive amounts of clicks are 'fraud' - yes massive amounts might not convert, but that's not the same. Many many online sales places couldn't tell you if they're sales came from visitors that had ever been to the site before - let alone whether those visitors came first via an advert they placed then returned 2 months later to purchase something. A great many companies simply say I had xxx visitors from my adwords campaign of which only x bought anything therefore the rest we're fraudulent clicks. I know that serious online etailers look a lot more indepth than that (or at least they should), but many of the 'bricks and mortar' companies don't. I know a few blue chip companies that don't even keep copies of their log files for data mining and rely on the stats generated by webalizer/awstats/etc for their online activity data.

14. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Banning accounts that haven't done anything wrong don't gain them anything. There are enough people cheating the system that they don't need to ban honest people.

By the way, I just saw a post by Adsense advisor over on webworld, and as of July 19th, they have never banned anyone for too little traffic.

People have created all kinds of boogeymen here, and like I said, we have one side of the story, which is tainted by the fact that people who did something wrong are rarely going to admit to it, and if they do, they are likely to change it up to paint themselves in a better light. Does that mean 100% of google bans have been legitimate? of course not... but I think it is safe to assume the overwhelming majority of them have been justified for one reason or another.

I just think there is an unwarranted level of hysteria when we keep seeing people coming here with their one-sided stories about being banned for no reason.

I subscribe if you are on the up and up and have created a real website to provide information and or services to other people, and implement adsense within that framework and the google TOS you will have little to worry about.

Like I said, I am guessing the percentage of Adsense sites in violation of the TOS is more than enough to fill any banning quota you think they might have. There is no need to go after legitimate sites. Google didn't make their remarkable growth as a company by throwing away money... And banning sites that are playing within the rules is not something that makes them money.

aeiouy, Jul 25, 2005 IP
    jlawrence likes this.
  15. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    It could well be that every account banned has been in inviolation of the TOS. The thing is I don't know of anyone that's every been told anything other than 'invalid clicks'. There is a theory going round, that 'invalid clicks' does actually cover every single violation of the TOS - as if you're in violation then every click is invalid.
    Many people think that are being banned for no reason because all they ever get is the 'invalid clicks' email. I and probably most other people would interpret this as meaning that there were fraudulant clicks - although it coudl mean anything.

jlawrence, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  16. Critters

Critters Guest

Best Answers:
    At the risk of been found out for just copying and pasting his original post critters steps up and says:
    Could be that low clicking sites are more easy to commit click fraud... 10 clicks a month and you accidentally click on your own ad once, well that's 10% of your income from click fraud..

He ads:
    I agree that it is very doubtful your mate was booted for just been small. But what is done is done... what steps has he taken to try and get back on the program?

Critters, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  17. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:

The friend doesn't really care, since Adsense on forums sucks anyways, and he was only making pennies. He was just annoyed.

spdude, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  18. alang

alang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You annoyed us too by posting here. Tell your friend, adsense on forum is not sucks if you know how to optimize it.

alang, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  19. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    Really?

The friend was never asking for advice on how to get his account back or anything of that sort. We never needed your input as to the cause of the ban or how to remove it. The friend doesn't care.

My purpose of the post was to bring out for discussion one single point. Here it is one more time:

G sends out the 'illegal clicks' email often regardless of the reason why an account was banned, and this almost 100% of the time happens to low-end publishers.

spdude, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  20. alang

alang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why don't ask your friend to post it here, so we can have direct conversation rather using 3rd person like you. Or is "the friend" is you?

With thousands or maybe millions publisher, I think google doesn't have time to send an email and be specific what make each account banned. So that just use "invalid clicks" to all.

alang, Jul 26, 2005 IP